Join Early Retirement Today

burglar alarms?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

burglar alarms?

I'm just curious how many of you out there have installed burglar alarms?a friend of mine across town had his front door kicked in and his house completely ransacked. And then on New Years Day all the vehicles were out of sight at my home and at 8 a.m. In the morning 3 sketchy looking men knocked on my front door..... as I was getting ready to answer the door the knocks got progressively louder, they seemed startled when I answered the door and all they had to say to me was "did you lose a cat? "This seemed really wrong to me and I firmly believe had I not been home they would have kicked in the door and robbed the house.
I got online and started researching burglar alarms. I ended up buying a do-it-yourself Wireless model and installed it myself so far it seems like it's working flawlessly. I am waiting foe a permit before having it monitored. having it has really set my mind at ease. Many people install an alarm after being robbed like my friend did. I'm glad I put it in before!

There has been a sharp increase in robberies in my area and I made the investment....Any of you have or considering an alarm?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a dog that barks really loud.

That works for when we are home. I have thought about the wireless ones. Which one did you get and how expensive are those? It seems to me that they aren't too expensive for the basic but that will only give you 1 or 2 doors and maybe 1 camera? Not sure if that is enough or not?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've had ADT for over 25 years. It's worked a few times when a plumber/electrician showed up and we forgot to un-set it.

Otherwise, I think just having the "Protected by ADT" stickers in the windows and doors provides a good deterrent.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My alarm loves to eat and he sleeps on the floor next to our bed. I had a monitored system for years but cut it off thinking it was a waste of money since I worked from home. Now that I've retired I'm still home quite a bit and when we travel we have a relative stay here. Our neighborhood is pretty safe, but should that change I might reactivate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Does the alarm trigger an alarm company? The police? Make a lot of racket.

The house I'm living in was burgled twice prior to my purchase of the home. In both cases I'm not sure an alarm would have stopped them. They backed into the driveway in what looked like a plumbing service truck. One person knocked on the front door while another was hopping the fence to the back yard. The person in the backyard broke a small window to gain access - and let the person at the front in. They quickly took the easy items - tv's, computers, some jewelry that was in a jewelry box. They did not find the more valuable jewelry. They were fast - out in less than 5 minutes.

(I know all this because my parents were the owners at the time)

The police said even if a neighbor noticed, or if there had been an alarm - they would have been gone faster than an alarm company or police officer could have come.

The loud siren would probably have acted as a deterrent... saving some stuff...
Old 01-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We had a glass french door broken and theft done while we were at our other home. Irritating having to get the place secured and repaired while 1000 miles away, the monetary loss was irksome as well. Decided we really just didn't want to have people rob our house or damage it. Decided having the police informed after the home was broken in was not going to address our desires: we just didn't want the place broken into.

We went with a real alarm system warning sign and several real looking cameras mounted in obvious spots. Idea is just to make the evil doers decide we aren't the softest target on the block. Reality is, my limited experience with meth freaks indicates they have no discernible logic in use.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Our home has been alarmed (wireless_Simplisafe) for the past 2 years. No problems with the system and very affordable. No break-ins on our block since we've lived here but that doesn't mean a thing. Someone did borrow my very expensive sound system out of my car (overnight in the driveway) a few years back (defeating the car alarm) but that was a crime of opportunity I suppose.

Where we live if anyone attempted a break-in while the residents were home they stand a very good chance of being punctured multiple times before the police arrived. Makes for polite neighbors.
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Our home was broken into a few months ago on a weekday afternoon when we were out of the house for about an hour.

We installed a Frontpoint system and have had no trouble with it. And, I'm willing to leave the house again.

This thread might be helpful: Looking for a DIY Alarm System
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post

That works for when we are home. I have thought about the wireless ones. Which one did you get and how expensive are those? It seems to me that they aren't too expensive for the basic but that will only give you 1 or 2 doors and maybe 1 camera? Not sure if that is enough or not?
I decided to purchase Simplisafe. The package I bought was $450 with free shipping. It has 7 entry sensors, 1 motion sensor, a smoke detector, a water/flood sensor and 2 very loud sirens, one outside and one in. Came with a keypad by the front door and a base station that will send out a message by cellular and or landline. It will also send you a text alerting you of any action...
I am waiting for a permit from the sherriffs office before having it monitored. Its a misdemeaner punishable by a $500 fine and 6 months in jail if they get dispatched without a permit!!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

In the early 1990s I bought a SFH in a nice area where burglaries were common. My first upgrade was a monitored alarm system. The alarm company representative told me that installation commonly follows a burglary. Other owners are more complacent.

I know for sure that the system prevented one burglary during the 20 years I lived in the home. Tracks in the snow showed that an intruder came in through my back yard and spent some time casing the joint before moving on to the unsalaried house next door and stealing a bunch of stuff.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #11

My wife took a cell pick of the van they were driving (thru window) capturing the license number. We gave the info to the sher. Office. Dont know if they did run the number or not
Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In the early 1990s I bought a SFH in a nice area where burglaries were common. My first upgrade was a monitored alarm system. The alarm company representative told me that installation commonly follows a burglary. Other owners are more complacent.

I know for sure that the system prevented one burglary during the 20 years I lived in the home. Tracks in the snow showed that an intruder came in through my back yard and spent some time casing the joint before moving on to the unsalaried house next door and stealing a bunch of stuff.
It paid for itself right there, let alone peace of mind!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
It paid for itself right there, let alone peace of mind!
Absolutely! And I got a discount on my home insurance too.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In the morning 3 sketchy looking men knocked on my front door..... as I was getting ready to answer the door the knocks got progressively louder, they seemed startled when I answered the door and all they had to say to me was "did you lose a cat? "
I'm sorry but I get such a kick out of 3 scumbags standing at your door trying to act all concerned about a kitty cat.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any of you have or considering an alarm?
I bought my first burglar alarm for $111 over 40 years ago when I was just 21 years old. (still have the sales receipt) It was a Sturm Ruger model Super Blackhawk. Some years later I changed it out to a Smith and Wesson model 29. (but I kept the Super Blackhawk for a backup) Both are very loud and have a very bright flash when they go off, but fortunately, neither has ever gone off due to an attempted burglary. However I test them regularly to be sure they are are in good working order.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Mine's not a barker, but I'm a ventriloquist.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Believe that there is a Robbery Alarm. A Burglar Alarm is supposed to go off when you're not there ...unless you have the trigger rigged somehow?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I bought my first burglar alarm for $111 over 40 years ago when I was just 21 years old. (still have the sales receipt) It was a Sturm Ruger model Super Blackhawk. Some years later I changed it out to a Smith and Wesson model 29. (but I kept the Super Blackhawk for a backup) Both are very loud and have a very bright flash when they go off, but fortunately, neither has ever gone off due to an attempted burglary. However I test them regularly to be sure they are are in good working order.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We're out in a rural area, we had a nice young woman come to the door asking to clean our carpets. There were two guys hiding in her backseat. We declined then notifed sheriff, they asked for any description as they had reports of what appeared to be the same folks.

We went with ADT as I was still working, DW was home alone. I'm not impressed with their customer service at all(for repairs/service). After the last issue I got a couple of free months and back to the teaser rate.

Their monitoring is great, we had a guy out on the back porch at 3:00 AM messing with a window. He was running away as I grabbed a tool and went toward the porch. We've had a couple other issues and they have been good to work with.

If I had to do it over I would go DIY. But either way it's worth it to me for the early notification. I want to be notified before someone is inside. The odds change if you're awake, alert, and have a plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #19

My experience with burglar alarms is that they make you feel like a prisoner in your own home. I'd be more stressed about accidentally setting the silly thing off every day than I would about having my house burgled. No thanks.

If I were really concerned about intruders, I'd go the large dog route.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are in a urban setting and want to have a neighborhood type watch (selected homes and not the entire block) , I suggest you create a group that watches each others home. I would contact the 3 houses across the street, the house on either side, and the three homes in the back. Perhaps you still want an alarm but at least you would have more eyes/ears and support.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote