Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm always amazed when people post to an anonymous internet board asking for 'advice' and go off in a huff if they don't like what they hear.
Especially when your very first post sounds like it could be soliciting business according to a "reasonable person" standard...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Do you see what I mean? Have at it and Happy Holidays.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentfaith View Post
Yea, thats what I thought might happen with this thread as does with so many forums,,,,,bitter, mean people just waiting to reply with something they think is witty in order to get a chuckle out of other folks just like them so, see ya. Cpt.Craig
Well. since you asked for honest feedback, I would never want to deal with anyone in the funeral business who had off the charts anger management issues indicated by calling everyone in a community names, in just their second post.

Better hire someone as customer interface. Soon.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am actually quite happy despite the fact that I'm broke and jobs are scarce so, I come up with an idea mentioned at the top hoping for some good feedback on this potential business. Sorry, I don't understand
first poster rules and I am looking for a way to gain $ from this forum.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand first poster rules and I am looking for a way to gain $ from this forum.
Sorry to hear about your financial difficulties. But one of the primary rules of almost any message board community is that using the board to solicit business or otherwise make money is a violation of the terms of service and is not allowed. And that's not just here, but on virtually all message board communities.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...one of the primary rules of almost any message board community is that using the board to solicit business or otherwise make money is a violation of the terms of service and is not allowed. And that's not just here, but on virtually all message board communities.
For clarification, please check out our Community Rules.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
I am actually quite happy despite the fact that I'm broke and jobs are scarce so, I come up with an idea mentioned at the top hoping for some good feedback on this potential business. Sorry, I don't understand
first poster rules and I am looking for a way to gain $ from this forum.
What amazes me is that sales guys keep coming to this forum with zero interest in the subject of early retirement and decide that they're going to be the first one who's able to sell things to the people who ARE interested in ER.

Of course they're about the thousandth entrepreneur to come up with that brilliant idea, and the ERs mostly got to this point by resisting the sales pitches of people like that, so if it's any consolation you should know that your chances were between slim & none from your very first post. Frankly, you're like a rodent who wandered onto the shooting range just as the rifle team was warming up.

Maybe you'd have better luck with a boating forum or a burial forum, where people actually have something to do with what you're trying to do-- heaven forbid a little actual experience at it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yea, thats what I thought might happen with this thread as does with so many forums,,,,,bitter, mean people just waiting to reply with something they think is witty in order to get a chuckle out of other folks just like them so, see ya. Cpt.Craig
never mind.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Cap, maybe it's just me, but if I post (or say or do) something and "so many other" forums (people, audiences) seem to be "bitter, mean people just waiting to reply with something they think is witty..." then I either

a. think hey, maybe what I'm posting (or saying, or doing) is not working if I keep getting this reaction (I mean, don't you wonder why you keep getting this reaction on "so many forums"? Just maybe what you're posting is causing it?)

or

b. sit back and read their responses and enjoy the witty repartee I've fostered. Especially if I use a word like "creamation," I would just sit back and wait for the homeruns that a softball pitch like that would generate.

(The ashes from one of my little dogs wouldn't fit in a conch shell, by the way, so think about a bigger vessel, maybe.)
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We did - one of my old blackpowder shooting buddies - Lake Ponchartrain - spread his ashes from one of his Brother's boats.

Age 69 - stroke - went peacefully in his sleep day before Thanksgiving.

Take your ER Asap. Party while you can. You can't take it with you - seems to be some agruement as to which Brother(4) gets the Kentucky flintlock repro - custom.

heh heh heh - I seem to be outliving many of my potential flaming arrow shooters for my Viking funeral - perhaps a good thing. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
I am looking for a way to gain $ from this forum.
Well that's going to be a problem, for reasons that others more sagacious than I have posted.

But, to answer your first post, I'm not certain I understand. Would the conch shell be put in the water or would the family take it home to put on the mantle (or wherever)? If it's the latter, you are essentially in the urn business. I can see that some might want a conch shell as an urn on the mantle, but probably not many.

If, however, you meant that you would return the filled conch to the water, I have another question. Would you just toss it just anywhere or would it be in a location to which relatives could return to pay their respects? People who would be happy with the former would probably also be just as happy with simply scattering the ashes.

If you placed the conch shell in a location to which you could return, it is essentially a water cemetery. I could see where certain people might find merit in that idea, particularly if they are the type who visit loved one's graves at traditional, land-based cemeteries and who believe that their loved one had a special connection to the sea. You would then likely have a monopoly on ferrying them on subsequent visits to the final resting places of their loved ones. Again, however, it would be difficult to gauge the potential market for such a service. I do suspect, however, that the potential market doesn't include members of this forum.