Join Early Retirement Today

Burial at Sea
Old 12-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Burial at Sea

I do creamated remains burial at sea here in Key West and have a new idea for your advice. I am thinking of placing the remains into a empty conch shell and sealing it up as a permenant urn. It would be an affordable " green" sea burial. Your honest thoughts please. Cpt.Craig
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

some company already does something similar. i think they build pillars on the seafloor, incorporating ashes into the concrete. something like that. as to conch shells, what happens when tourists go diving and take your relative back to jersey with them?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #3

Conch are a protected species.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentfaith View Post
I do creamated remains burial at sea here in Key West and have a new idea for your advice. I am thinking of placing the remains into a empty conch shell and sealing it up as a permenant urn. It would be an affordable " green" sea burial. Your honest thoughts please. Cpt.Craig
Sounds like a good plan to me - is there enough volume in a conch shell? seems to me my Mom, not a large woman, would have overfilled the conch shells i'm familiar with.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Gimmick.

Open the container of cremains and sprinkle the ashes. Who wants to share eternity with the remains of a stinky crustacean?
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Let me know when the Viking Ship Burial Funeral is available. No rush - I'm not planning on dying anytime soon (knocks on wood). Besides, the wife is going to need some more convincing before she signs off on the whole "take your favorite serving girl with you" part of the program.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Besides, the wife is going to need some more convincing before she signs off on the whole "take your favorite serving girl with you" part of the program.
I like this idea!

Is she unconvinced about winning the selection competition-- or concerned about coming in as a runner-up?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Sky rockets
Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Sky rockets

DW and I are of the opinion that a service we came across was a fine idea. Half of your cremated remains are mixed with fireball powder, and loaded into a series of sky-rockets. Then a private charter boat takes you off-shore, and the crew lights up the skies over the water. Off you go in a 'blaze of glory!'

All your friends (yes, both of them) are there, and everyone gets drunk.

The other half of the cremated dust goes into the ground, under the headstone, enclosed with some fertilizer, in a bio-degradable milk carton.

Yes, sir ...
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I want a "green" Tibetan sky burial where my (two?) friends cut me up into little pieces and leave them out on a mountaintop for the vultures. I want none of that gunpowder, conches or watery grave. Bad idea, OP.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
what happens when tourists go diving and take your relative back to jersey with them?

That would be just my luck . Buried at sea in the Caribbean and end up in East Orange .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

One of my friends took her husbands ashes to Ireland and spread him among several pubs .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just have yourself driven out past the three-mile or 12-mile limits, OK?

Nearly every surfer who dies in Hawaii has themself scattered at sea in the offshore breeze blowing in the faces of the other surfers their favorite break. That's especially the case in Waikiki for celebrities like Duke Kahanamoku.

When it came time to replenish Waikiki's lovely sands, the dredging barge was already anchoring offshore by the time someone pointed out that they'd be dredging up Duke's ashes and scattering them all over Waikiki. Big bureaucratic flail-- would that be a HAZMAT issue or a desecration problem?

Luckily cooler heads prevailed.

No worries-- I'm asking to be composted...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking this is spam. If not it is a strange first post of an ER forum.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

How does creamation differ from cremation?

Please don't bury me
Down in that cold cold ground
No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up
And pass me all around
Throw my brain in a hurricane
And the blind can have my eyes
And the deaf can take both of my ears
If they don't mind the size...

John Prine

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
How does creamation differ from cremation?
At last, we're back on topic, lots of 1/2 and 1/2, please. I inherited this recording by the Ink Spots on a 45, never listened to it until U-tube today. Has "If I didn't care" on the flip (side 1). It's a little slow to get the first cup going but oh, the nostalgia; 1940 must have been the happiest year of my parents lives.

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Creamation: preferred burial for dairy workers?

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yea, thats what I thought might happen with this thread as does with so many forums,,,,,bitter, mean people just waiting to reply with something they think is witty in order to get a chuckle out of other folks just like them so, see ya. Cpt.Craig
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Cap that you didn't get what you want. But this is one of the least bitter groups of people I know. Wise-asses yes, bitter no. We also seem conservative as a group (and I don't mean politically) and are not likely to buy into something that seems trendy. We would rather our heirs go for a cheap funeral and burial and use the money for more sensible things.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yea, thats what I thought might happen with this thread as does with so many forums,,,,,bitter, mean people just waiting to reply with something they think is witty in order to get a chuckle out of other folks just like them so, see ya. Cpt.Craig
I'm always amazed when people post to an anonymous internet board asking for 'advice' and go off in a huff if they don't like what they hear. Maybe the good Capt has spent too much time with his ear to one of his conch shells...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm always amazed when people post to an anonymous internet board asking for 'advice' and go off in a huff if they don't like what they hear. Maybe the good Capt has spent too much time with his ear to one of his conch shells...
File it under "narcissism'.

Ha