Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From Midpack's list:

"Never Say Never – As in, “I am never coming back here.” These are famous last words. You never ever know when life may bring you back down this path. How sheepish (and regretful) you will be if you have to return and you burned all your bridges."

I saw one great example of this... I did not know the person, but met her after my mega acquired another mega...

She had worked for a small firm that got bought by a bigger firm.... got a package to leave.. went to work for a middle sized firm... who, guess what... got bought by the firm that let her go... she got another exit package... now to the third employer... and again, my mega bought both of the firms and she was back in with the people who had let her go twice... she never did burn bridge even though she told me that she wanted to because of ineptitude.... and she was happy when they offered her another exit package... IIRC, this all happened within a 5 year period....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Amazing!!

Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was re-hired twice for a better position than before and was once hired by a former colleague who then became my superior.
More than once I have met former colleagues again at a new company.
More than enough to believe in the merits of leaving on good terms.

The satisfaction from telling people what they do wrong only lasts a short while.
I will also leave on good terms when ER has come.
You never know...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #24

My favorite burned bridge story is from a college friend.

He was working as a shift lead for a cleaning company that had a local contract with a large national retailer. This company was not the most ethical of employers, and decided to short him some overtime and backpay after they had gotten behind on payroll. It was somewhere around $1000. When it became clear that they were going to stiff him, he did the following--

1. Called up everyone scheduled to clean the store that night and told them they had been moved to a different night.

2. Called up the company that they rented the floor cleaning equipment and told them that they didn't need it anymore, and to pick up the equipment.

3. Called up the cleaning supply company that they used and ordered about 3 years worth of supplies.

4. About a week later, he threw a brick through the window of the company that stiffed him and took a laser printer as his "back pay".

I believe that the cleaning company lost the contract and went out of business not long afterwards.

I've always felt that it was good that my friend was in the world to keep everyone else honest
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I can't think of a good reason to burn bridges with an employer or person for that matter, regardless of the circumstances. Why? Spite? Getting even? Seriously? Here's a good summary someone else wrote, the first one alone is reason enough...
Nice post.

I've been let go and quit on my own from several positions. I've also had people quit and have had to terminate people. In general, someone blowing up makes me glad they are leaving. I've decided that the best way to get revenge (especially if they are running you off) is to be as cheerful as hell, shake their hand like they are your long lost best friend and tell them how wonderful your time has been with the company/working for them. If nothing else, it screws with their mind. If they ran you off, it has to make them wonder if they did the right thing.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Hamlet: That went beyond mischief because other people were harmed. The cleaning supply company particularly.

A brick through the window and absconding with the printer is a felony which would have been difficult to expunge. Now if he had been the last person out of the office, removed the printer with a note that said that when he was paid in cash for his past due wages they could have the printer back I doubt that the police would intervene.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I was layed off - twice.

Nobody asked or even cared about my opinion.

heh heh heh - when you need an engineer hire one. When you don't - get rid of him/her.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I've also been laid off twice, and didn't vent on the way out. Since I've stayed in the same industry in the same town, I've crossed paths with many of my former co-workers/bosses over the years. You never know who you might run into down the road, someone that might offer you a job, a reference, whatever.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #29

He was never a person that was particularly concerned with the consequences of his actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Hamlet: That went beyond mischief because other people were harmed. The cleaning supply company particularly.

A brick through the window and absconding with the printer is a felony which would have been difficult to expunge. Now if he had been the last person out of the office, removed the printer with a note that said that when he was paid in cash for his past due wages they could have the printer back I doubt that the police would intervene.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

i felt like flipping my managers the bird and doing a cartwheel into the elevator, but I lacked the cajones to do so. I think I've written here about how a slice of pizza was the straw that broke the camel's back, so I'll spare those details. Switching J*bs, seeking general advice and comments

In hindsight, I am glad I didn't, as it was mentioned by my boss, my manager and my HR rep that I could return if I ever changed my mind. And my boss even offered up helping me to find a job outside of the company I left.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
gone traveling

I was fortunate in my "wo*king days" to only have a few employers over many years.

That being the case, I never burned bridges (even though I had a few nasty thoughts over the years).

For me, it was the simple case of a few things:

- Regardless of what I may say, it would not improve the organization.
- You never know when you would meet a former employee in the future (and they may be in a position to affect your current employment).
- In reality, it's only my opinion that would provide feedback. You know what they say about "opinions", don't you? Something to the effect of "opinons are like assho***"; everybody has one (or more )...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #32

A burned bridge might've affected my payout...so I smiled and, in a nice voice, told them where to mail the checks.

Never a good idea to burn bridges of any kind, IMO; negatives outweigh positives
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounds justified. But just telling them off when they called you in your situation is a mild case of burning bridges compared to overtly going out of your way to bad-mouth them.
I can't envision a situation where I would ever publicly bad mouth an employer.