Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Bush essentially Calls U.S. Treas Bonds 'Worth

Here is the answer........... (actually I am the answer, but
we'll save that for later).

Back when I was voting and/or gave a damn, I voted
Republican; not out of any great love or inspiration,
but just because they were better than the other guys
(just my opinion). Now, they are so so similar that it
seems silly to support one party over the other.
OTOH, there are still some core issues where the
GOP tends to LEAN into my camp. Thus, if I was to
vote again (when hell freezes over), I would probably
still vote Republican, holding my nose all the way.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like we're on the same page then, JG. George Washington was against political parties, calling them one of the greatest threats to democracy. It's been downhill ever since our founding fathers. :P

Old 04-08-2005, 01:55 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Any success that Clinton had was due in large part to the policies followed by Bush Sr. - I also believe that Jimmy Carter was responsible for most of the successes of the 1980's - Reagan, just went along for the ride and screwed Bush Sr. Bush Sr. called Reagan's polices 'voodoo economics' - which it was.

Bush Jr. however is the worst. What he is doing to the Budget debt and the dollar will show up in the next couple adminstrations. departments. Why isn't the GOP going after them?
Bush Sr. made the difficult choices and set the table for an economic expansion and got elected out of office for it.

Carter did little but fumble around, and got elected out of office for it. (The 80's were good years, in general, because the Fed raised rates dramatically and cut off inflation, Reagan cut many needless and contradictory regulations which freed the economy, and the natural expansion after the 70's slowdown).

Bush Jr. has piled on so much debt that not just the next few administrations, but our grandchildren, will be paying for his recklessness. Yet, he gets reelected.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Carter did little but fumble around, and got elected out of office for it. (The 80's were good years, in general, because the Fed raised rates dramatically and cut off inflation, Reagan cut many needless and contradictory regulations which freed the economy, and the natural expansion after the 70's slowdown).
Uncledrez,

You better check your facts. The GOP has spun these stories so many times that you seem to believe it.

It was Carter that appointed Paul Volker and we saw the 20% Prime rate during Carter's term. You had the correct action to bring inflation down. You just credited the wrong president.

Reagan's economy ushered in the 'Borrow and Spend' Huge deficiets! - He increased the debt and cut little. Bush Jr. is Following Reagan.

I'll give Bush Sr. some credit. No credit to Reagan though. Carter took the bitter pills and paid for it politically. You should at least give Carter the credit for the High interest rates and taming inflation.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:52 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

>>Bush Jr. has piled on so much debt that not just the next few administrations, but our grandchildren, will be paying for his recklessness. Yet, he gets reelected.

>>I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Its not that complicated...50% of the country has below average intelligence...Karl Rove only had to get 1/10 of 1 % more people to fall for the spin.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Newell

I have been very reluctant to join this discussion and I'm sure I'll regret having done so, however -

C-T began this thread with a charge that President Bush is attempting to "derail Social Security." Since I don't know what derailing Social Security means, I assume that C-T believes that President Bush is attempting to solve a problem in a manner that C-T doesn't agree with.

JohnP then accused President Bush of a "monumental theft of moneys..." and "negating" the Social Security debt.

Mikey then added to this lofty and distinguished debate by calling President Bush a "dyslexic ADHD moron..."

After a series of positive and negative contributions, C-T called Charlie's views "the biggest load of B.S." that he had "ever seen posted here." Charlie (understandably?) responded with a sarcastic comment and C-T countered by accusing Charlie of "schoolboy name calling." I find it somewhat interesting that the "dyslexic ADHD moron" comment didn't garner that type of response.

farmerEd offered the last opinion that basically said that anyone who voted for Bush had a "below average intelligence..."

Perhaps it's my bias showing, but it seems that the opinions from the right are generally (not always) about the topic being discussed and the opinions from the left are too frequently about the intelligence of the presenter or the sanity of anyone sharing those views.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Well #$%@#^$ you, oldbykur!

Seriously, I think there were some very intelligent points made at the beginning of this discussion by "left leaning" posters (I guess that includes me for the sake of this thread) but as with any discussion on politics, it got a little heated. It's human nature to see your side as "tough competitor" and their side as "dirty player". Case in point, you saw CT's comments as more abrasive than Charlie's, I think they both just took the gloves off for a moment and traded shot for shot. I like Charlie a lot, think he probably contributes more to this board than I do, but I feel his comment that the longest economic expansion in U.S. history was an "economic basket case" was a little off the mark. CT and MRGALT2U are pillars of the board, not every post has to be a master work of prose, everybody has to vent from time to time.

p.s., I'm assuming your comments about the nature of opinions was specific to this thread, because you only need to hear Rush or O'Reilly for twenty minutes or so to hear plenty of inflammatory put downs from the right.....