Bush's Real Legacy

FinanceDude said:
Ah ha..........now we have the REAL ISSUE........... ;) You're one of those folks who think the Supreme Court GAVE the election to Bush and company. Interesting..........

Brewster, you're a smart guy, why were the Florida election commission and the Florida state Supreme Court wringing their hands and wondering what to do?

What the Supreme Court basically did was tell the Florida Supreme Court to "do your jobs"............is that not within the jurisdiction of the highest court?

Man, that was SIX YEARS AGO!! :D :D :D

The election was close enough that it should not have been decided by the courts.

But, as you say, we've all passed a lot of water since then. I am a big believer in paying attention to what is a sunk cost and acting accordingly. So I care a lot more about the 2006 election than I do about the 2000 election.

brewer12345 said:
The election was close enough that it should not have been decided by the courts.

But, as you say, we've all passed a lot of water since then. I am a big believer in paying attention to what is a sunk cost and acting accordingly. So I care a lot more about the 2006 election than I do about the 2000 election.

And next week, I beleive the Dems will end up with a majority in Congress, and the following will happen:

1)Nancy Pelosi will be Madame Speaker (yuck)

2)Impeachment proceedings will immediately commence against Bush

3)The Congress will attempt to raise taxes to finance the war, and Bush will veto over and over again.

4)We'll have a stalemate in Congress and a lame duck President for two years.......

5)It will be a mess, either way, and we, the American people get to witness the carnage................

FinanceDude said:
And next week, I beleive the Dems will end up with a majority in Congress, and the following will happen:

1)Nancy Pelosi will be Madame Speaker (yuck)

2)Impeachment proceedings will immediately commence against Bush

3)The Congress will attempt to raise taxes to finance the war, and Bush will veto over and over again.

4)We'll have a stalemate in Congress and a lame duck President for two years.......

5)It will be a mess, either way, and we, the American people get to witness the carnage................

1) hopefully, minus the yuck.

2) Highly unlikely. There is a lot of other very pressing business to attend to, and there isn't a lot of point in doing so unless the Democrats gain the Senate, too. It would be a sideshow anyway, unfortunately.

3) I think a tax increase is in the cards no matter who is running the show. The currrent state of affairs is obviously unsustainable. It may well come in the form of the recent tax cuts being allowed to expire and AMT eating more of the middle class, but it is coming.

4) I don't think there will be a stalemate unless the pResident decides he will not compromise. Bipartisanship has been distinctly lacking for years, and it remains to be seen whether King George will consent to work with a Congress run by Democrats. It also remains to be seen if the Democrats will be out for some payback (some will, not sure about the party leadership).

5) Its been that way as long as I can remember. As a student of Merkin history, it appears to have been that way since the creation of the Merkin Gummint.

brewer12345 said:
1) hopefully, minus the yuck.

2) Highly unlikely. There is a lot of other very pressing business to attend to, and there isn't a lot of point in doing so unless the Democrats gain the Senate, too. It would be a sideshow anyway, unfortunately.

3) I think a tax increase is in the cards no matter who is running the show. The currrent state of affairs is obviously unsustainable. It may well come in the form of the recent tax cuts being allowed to expire and AMT eating more of the middle class, but it is coming.

4) I don't think there will be a stalemate unless the pResident decides he will not compromise. Bipartisanship has been distinctly lacking for years, and it remains to be seen whether King George will consent to work with a Congress run by Democrats. It also remains to be seen if the Democrats will be out for some payback (some will, not sure about the party leadership).

5) Its been that way as long as I can remember. As a student of Merkin history, it appears to have been that way since the creation of the Merkin Gummint.

I believe we have reached a bipartisan agreement, brewer. Perhaps the Congress can learn from our simple exercise........... :D :D

FinanceDude said:

Hey, even Reagan increased taxes -- the largest tax increase since WWII.

3. That'd be a first...

4. Jolly good...

Brewer12345,

How do you live with all the hate inside you? Get some help.

sgeeeee said:
In contrast, the current thread made a statement implying that everyone now recognized Nixon to be a great President. I've never talked to anyone who believed that Nixon was a great President, and have talked so some who think he is not a great President. The reasoning goes something like this:

First off.... it was NOT youbet that made that statement... it was ME.... and YOU quote me wrong... see below

"Take Nixon... the only president that resigned in disgrace (Clinton just could not do it.. wasn't ashamed I guess...) but now looked on as a 'good' president.. "

NOWHERE do I say EVERYBODY sees Nixon as a great president... I said 'good'... and then I backed it up with information that some historian said he might have been 'great' or 'near great' if it was not for his other problems... but you seem to ignore that reference and go with the same thing you claim we are doing... talk to X and make a statement...

At least get your facts straight from what people have written in this thread...

brewer12345 said:
I cannot fathom how anyone could consider the current occupant of the Oval Offce (not Dirty Dick) to be a success. Can one of the true believers articulate why they think this is a great pResidency?

I am not trying... I think he has done a crap job... along with the Repub congress... but the post was that in the FUTURE he might be looked upon in a much better light than he is now... and I am backing that up with how some historians are looking at Nixon... when he resigned, it would be hard pressed to get people to say he was even a 'good' president...

If the Middle East does get democratized... and they trace it back to the Iraq war and other things Bush has done.... he will get many brownie points and be seen as a visionary.... now, I will not put any money on it, but it could happen... and you can not say it can not...

Texas Proud said:
First off.... it was NOT youbet that made that statement... it was ME....
I did not miss that point. I was commenting on his arguments, and I did not quote you at all. :)

Im fine with the job he has done. As I was with Bill Clinton. Both have made me lots of money and Im not dead so this is all a good thing.

Mwsinron said:
Im fine with the job he has done. As I was with Bill Clinton. Both have made me lots of money and Im not dead so this is all a good thing.

Now there my friends is a positive thinker.

JG

Texas Proud said:
I am not trying... I think he has done a crap job... along with the Repub congress... but the post was that in the FUTURE he might be looked upon in a much better light than he is now... and I am backing that up with how some historians are looking at Nixon... when he resigned, it would be hard pressed to get people to say he was even a 'good' president...

The only people i see waxing nostaligic about Nixon are revisionist historians on the right, and the kind of far right imperial presidency types that were sporting wood at the thought of the Patriot Act.

brewer12345 said:
The only people i see waxing nostaligic about Nixon are revisionist historians on the right, and the kind of far right imperial presidency types that were sporting wood at the thought of the Patriot Act.

Nixon and Ford were useless...........

I think Ronnie is getting more respect because he's dead.........

Bush Senior has proven NOT ALL genetics are directly passed down to children........ :D

I'll bet he's given Junior plenty of advice, but he chooses to ignore it........... ;)

FinanceDude said:
Nixon and Ford were useless...........

I think Ronnie is getting more respect because he's dead.........

Bush Senior has proven NOT ALL genetics are directly passed down to children........ :D

I'll bet he's given Junior plenty of advice, but he chooses to ignore it........... ;)
I'll offer some bipartisan support for this evaluation. Although I don't think Ford was that bad. He provided what we needed at that time -- a breather from the dirty tricks of Nixon. I'm not sure anyone else could have done much better. :)

sgeeeee said:
I'll offer some bipartisan support for this evaluation. Although I don't think Ford was that bad. He provided what we needed at that time -- a breather from the dirty tricks of Nixon. I'm not sure anyone else could have done much better. :)

Well, with Ben Stein writing your speeches, it's no wonder we were amused.............

Back
Top Bottom