Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
A note of caution from your friendly neighborhood SCORE mentor here:

Most small businesses fail. The published figures seem to be 50% failures within five years, but I think those numbers do not capture a lot of the really small businesses started by individuals.

Nassim Taleb writes of what he calls "silent evidence." Regardless of what the actual failure rate is, it is very important to consider this concept. Basically, it is the successful businesses that we hear about. Hardly anybody goes on a forum to describe his/her failure. This is the evidence about small businesses that we don't see -- the silent evidence. Said another way, the enjoyable success stories we are reading here should not lead to a conclusion that starting a business and succeeding is easy.

And, @tb001, do not think that starting a business is so easy that you can do it in a field or a market that you know nothing about. This adds hugely to the risk. If you want to do something new, find a job in that type of business and work for a year. Then decide.

Sorry for the cold water. It's in my job description.
Oh, I appreciate the cold water! The likelihood of me actually doing something is very low—I was as much curious to hear what types of businesses people are running. Seems there are loads of things I would just never think about!

If I did anything it would probably be in real estate, since that’s what I’ve geown up around and seem to have a nose for. But I love hearing about all of these!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #22

I grew up in a family owned business. My parents had two successful steak houses and a fast food restaurant. Very hard work, long hours and my parents demanded we all (kids) work in the restaurants to some degree. They were in business for 35 years, but poor money management made them sell out eventually.

From a kids point of view, it was stressful and fun at the same time. We ate well, met lots of people. My parents were very sociable. They started small with a burger/milkshake type place in south Chicago. Then built up over the years then money issues got in the way in later years.

I would never own a small business. It aged my dad, but that's restaurant business. Other small businesses like real estate might be more profitable.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I know we have a number of people here who have started their own successful businesses. I’ve worked for someone else my entire life and am looking for alternatives as we move into the next phase.

Head over to one of the major business brokerage websites and see what's for sale. I haven't visited one of those sites in many years, but enjoyed browsing the opportunities way back when. Some of the options stimulated my fancy, like owning a 120-acre hobby farm in a lovely part of the world. However, there is often a wide gap between dreams and reality.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
A note of caution from your friendly neighborhood SCORE mentor here:

Most small businesses fail. The published figures seem to be 50% failures within five years, but I think those numbers do not capture a lot of the really small businesses started by individuals.

Nassim Taleb writes of what he calls "silent evidence." Regardless of what the actual failure rate is, it is very important to consider this concept. Basically, it is the successful businesses that we hear about. Hardly anybody goes on a forum to describe his/her failure. This is the evidence about small businesses that we don't see -- the silent evidence. Said another way, the enjoyable success stories we are reading here should not lead to a conclusion that starting a business and succeeding is easy.

And, @tb001, do not think that starting a business is so easy that you can do it in a field or a market that you know nothing about. This adds hugely to the risk. If you want to do something new, find a job in that type of business and work for a year. Then decide.

Sorry for the cold water. It's in my job description.
I agree to a point about respecting failure, but success is a possible outcome too. If you pursue something you fear a little, but excites you a lot, you are probably pursuing the right thing. Starting a business was my dream and it changed my life. No doubt about it. I knew the stats about business failures and that made me focus even more on being different in the marketplace.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Head over to one of the major business brokerage websites and see what's for sale. I haven't visited one of those sites in many years, but enjoyed browsing the opportunities way back when. Some of the options stimulated my fancy, like owning a 120-acre hobby farm in a lovely part of the world. However, there is often a wide gap between dreams and reality.
Don’t buy a business you know nothing about.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Don’t buy a business you know nothing about.

Don't forget seller-financed and seller-willing-to-train-buyer deals. However, obviously knowing something about the biz being bought increases the probability of success. OTOH, aren't MBA's taught that their education allows them to successfully manage any business? I'm skeptical of this claim, but I don't have a MBA.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Don't forget seller-financed and seller-willing-to-train-buyer deals. However, obviously knowing something about the biz being bought increases the probability of success. OTOH, aren't MBA's taught that their education allows them to successfully manage any business? I'm skeptical of this claim, but I don't have a MBA.
I don’t know about an MBA, but I got max benefit out of my bachelors of business degree.
I should calculate the dollar value of my state school degree vs dollars earned. Has to be off the charts.
Business owners
Old 02-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Business owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I don’t know about an MBA, but I got max benefit out of my bachelors of business degree.

+1. I went back to school and finished my bachelors in business shortly before becoming a business owner. The business education was extremely helpful in getting me up to speed on business financials, hr issues, marketing, etc. And since the company paid for my education, it was even more important for me to make good business decisions to prove that my education gave the company bang for its buck.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote