Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
ITA. As one who was ordered to replace IT resources with those in 'low cost geographies', I HATED IT.
There was no real choice if it was anything like I saw in the last few years of my career...

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #42
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
"Buying American" is an interesting idea. The thing is, what makes an American car? Is it where the corporate headquarters is located, or is it something more along the lines of where the car is built, and what portion of the parts are sourced domestically?
Agreed. For me the answer would be: Which one produces more decent jobs? I suspect I'd care more that 10,000 Americans were hired to build them than where 100 wealthy executives are domiciled -- especially since it's these kinds of middle class jobs which are becoming an endangered species.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Midpack
There was no real choice if it was anything like I saw in the last few years of my career...
Correct. It would be different if the skills were equivalent. They were inferior and our customers complained. They accept it because of the reduced cost passed on to them.
Retired - Class of 2011
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
An interesting study by the Fed
FRBSF Economic Letter: The U.S. Content of “Made in China” (2011-25, 8/8/2011)

I have only read the synopsis in the NY Times which says...
The study, from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Fransisco, estimates that of every dollar consumers spend on a product labeled “Made in China,” about 45 cents goes to China for the cost of the original import.
The authors found that about 13.9 percent of all United States consumer spending goes to imports, including both final and intermediate goods. Chinese imports alone — including both final goods and intermediate goods from China — accounts for just 1.9 percent of total consumer spending.
Here's the NY Times link
'Made in China,' but Still Profiting Americans -

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote