Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It was just a rhetorical question.
Yes, purely rhetorical.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Don't buy "things". Do not buy "experiences" either. Just stay home, surf the Web, and live vicariously, and have that much more money?
Where is that Scrooge McDuck image when you need it?

Oh, look what I found when googling that:

A Scrooge McDuck-style money vault is up for sale in Switzerland | News | Geek.com

Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

NICE!

Those coins are not gold, and worth only $US 450K, but that makes it affordable for most of us here, oui?

Well, then there's the cost of the vault, and I do not know how high the bid will go. It is not sure how the vault will be dismantled and moved. What exactly does that vault consist of besides all the drawers?

Still, it would make a hell of a conversation piece, for eccentric people who have a home or basement large enough to install it.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Could you believe that some commercial CGs charged $100/night in peak season in some spots? For just a place to park, plug in a power cord, and use perhaps 10 gals of water a day? But I guess that is still a lot lower than hotels in the same locale.
Rving throughout the US has been a dream "experience" of mine but the economics scare me to death.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

If you avoid the tourist traps, most of the cost of RV'ing is in the fuel, as the campground fees generally are a lot lower than motel rooms. And the fuel cost is minimized by using a smaller motorhome, a class B like the Roadtrek for example.

Speaking of motorhomes, I have been thinking about going to a class B, so that my wife can help with the driving. And besides the fuel savings, a class B gives me better mobility and I also do not need to tow a car behind it.

I have found that I am a traveler not a camper, and do not like to stay in one place too long. So, I would not enjoy a large RV and even my 25' class C often becomes a hindrance, particularly when I have to drag a car behind it.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

We travel because we love the experiences. Then I get double the enjoyment working on the photos from those experiences. Sure glad I spent the $$$ on that camera and lens!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
In any case, even in kinda out of the way Santa Maria, CA, I paid $179 for a (Saturday) night at the Holiday Inn on my way from the bay area to San Diego in early September. sheesh. And that was with the big AAA discount! But I wanted a pool after several hours on the road...
I just found "Express Deals" on Priceline. You might try that next time. If you have internet on your phone you can book it that day, as soon as you know where you're going to stop. They have a 3 1/2 star for $100 (+18 tax):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg expressdeal.jpg (57.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #48

Quote:
If you avoid the tourist traps, most of the cost of RV'ing is in the fuel, as the campground fees generally are a lot lower than motel rooms.
...and then there's always boondocking. If you're in the great open west, there is a lot of BLM land to camp on for free too, if that's your thing.

As with sticks n' bricks accommodations, if your budget is limited, there are always more affordable ways to do it. The lower limit is dictated mainly by your creativity and adaptability. I'm not speaking specifically to you NW-Bound, as you know these things, but more to photoguy and anyone else who thinks that RV'ing is outside their budget, although it may indeed be outside their budget if they have specific expectations.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

RV boondocking is somewhat limited to the western states, which have a lot of public land.

In the east, most of the land is private and the owners do not take lightly to people camping on their land, although I have read an RV blogger who was able to boondock in Nova Scotia by asking for permission. In contrast, Alaska is boondocker's heaven, as you only have the grizzly to contend with.

And by the way, do you know that Texas has very little public land despite its size?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #50

Quote:
And by the way, do you know that Texas has very little public land despite its size?
I wasn't aware of that. What DO they do with all that land?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I think that the ranchers claimed all that land, even before Texas joined the Union. These greedy cowboys wanted lots of land to ride their horses and chase the bulls and cows.

PS. In contrast, only 10% of Arizona is private land. And I already claim my lot in the hilly high country, surrounded by a national forest. Heh heh heh...
Old 10-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I wasn't aware of that. What DO they do with all that land?
Bury trespassing Yankees.

Google Image Result for http://www.oscarmail.net/houstonfreeways/images/2006-05-28_cadillac/IMG_1398_cadillac_ranch_close_2006-05-28_2000.jpg

And if they're 49ers fans, there's a post-burial ceremony.

Google Image Result for http://www.dallascowboyscheerleaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/CadillacRanch_061612_2.jpg
Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #53
Administrator

Those poor girls appear to have suffered a dryer mishap with their clothes. I hate it when the fabric care label is unclear about that.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #54

I've been to the Cadillac Ranch and it didn't look like the photo in Huston55's 2nd link when I was there.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've been to the Cadillac Ranch and it didn't look like the photo in Huston55's 2nd link when I was there.
No cheerleaders? Yeah, that kind of makes the picture.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Buying gas for the motor home is like buying a bus, train, or plane ticket, so that wouldn't count as a 'thing', IMHO.

But this got me thinking about Facebook travel posts. Did they really enjoy their travel, or did they go there just so they could brag about it on FB?

Hey now...you talking to me??

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Eh, yours is the one that most interests me, that I want to read for vicarious travel experiences if I had an FB account.

Surely, your adventures in Mongolia and Siberia are a lot more exciting and exotic than anything I have done or will do.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Eh, yours is the one that most interests me, that I want to read for vicarious travel experiences if I had an FB account.

Surely, your adventures in Mongolia and Siberia are a lot more exciting and exotic than anything I have done or will do.
Awww, shucks, thanks! But it just means that I can sleep in a tent pretty well if I put my mind to it...or a small, shared bus bench seat when pressed! But I do appreciate my nice king sized bed when I get back home and hot shower as much as the next person!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

We already appreciate our home shower after 2 months living in the motorhome, which is luxurious compared to your amenities.

And my wife already said that if my next Alaska trip is 3 months like the recent RV trek through Nova Scotia, she's out.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #60

NW, I admit that the trip DH just took, 8 1/2 weeks on the road from London to Mongolia and back was one I happily skipped. They did a lot of roadside sleeping, 4 dudes in a very small Skoda Felicia. At least he was wedged in there with some discomfort-loving millennials, instead of crotchety folks his own age!

I loved British Columbia earlier this summer and the campgrounds were fabulous. Take that Alaska trip, and have her fly up to meet you for a respite at some B&Bs or nice little hotels in the middle!