Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Better yet get paid for great experiences.
Sounds like quite an exciting career!
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I'm not sure I understand the distinction between material items and experiences. When I buy a material item like a tent, camera, car the whole point is to facilitate new experiences.

I only feel unsatisfied if I don't use the item I purchased
+1.

We own very few "things" that haven't made "experiences" possible.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
[*]I'd rather have a new experience than memories of experiences.[/LIST]
That's my preference as well, but don't discount the importance of memories. Whenever we go on vacation, I keep a journal in which I record not only what we do and see, but also my impressions of the people and places around me. I can read my journal months or years later, and all the sights, sounds and smells come flooding back. I get to appreciate it all again.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I find that planning experiences adds to the fun. I'm kind of a research nut, so I enjoy finding maps, articles, weather conditions, reviews, photos, transportation and sustenance info in order to best prepare for a remote experience. Experiences are much more enjoyable when I'm prepared for them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Sounds like quite an exciting career!
Always looked at as new adventures, new things to learn and experience.
Am still in the learning mode in whatever I do.

Somewhere there is a video of an 80 year old with the the idea of "never leaving the playground". My kind of guy.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I find that planning experiences adds to the fun. I'm kind of a research nut, so I enjoy finding maps, articles, weather conditions, reviews, photos, transportation and sustenance info in order to best prepare for a remote experience. Experiences are much more enjoyable when I'm prepared for them.
Enjoying the planning probably gets easier the more you do it. I'm still working on that (http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...?highlight=diy).

As to enjoying travel, I got to wondering while on the Outer Banks, "why did people first start to come here?" Certainly it wasn't for water slides and go-cart tracks. It seems to me if you can eliminate those distractions and concentrate on why the first tourists showed-up at a location, you'd be better off (and retain some capital too!)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I thought of this thread today when we were processing some of my thrift shop and estate sales finds. To paraphrase a famous quote, if buying things can't bring you happiness, then you don't know where to shop. I am pretty happy with my latest finds. I have a new $300 glass top desk in my office I bought for $30. My old desk is going to one of the kids who needs a home office for a part-time telecommuting job, the job which saves us from having to provide this semester's spending money, which also makes me happy.

So I am pretty satisfied with this purchase, more so than if we just went out to eat or saw a movie instead for the same $30. I think the key issue is just to get good value from your money and only buy things, services or experiences that are useful, fun, beautiful, entertaining or whatever need you are trying to fill.

If I could buy a new BMW for $100 or take a trip to Paris for $50k, I think I'd go with the thing and not the experience, or if the prices were reversed I'd go with the experience.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
It's a slight difference, kind of like "the means to an end vs just it being the means", where a kayak or a convertible (the means) gives you the ability to experience the actual activity (the ends). On the flip side, if you have to buy a new Mercedes convertible instead of a "low class, pre-owned proletariat" brand, then you're making the means more of the "end" versus the object just being an enabler to allow you experience the actual action.
Thanks for the example. I am quite the optimizer for getting value out of material items. On the other hand, my friend would say the experience is driving a sporty car and that's why she needs the BMW whereas I'm valuing where driving can take me (e.g. to see a national park). Of course she is the complete opposite of LBYM
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Agree, but I also find this to be true for making material purchases.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I bought and burned 1,000 gallons of gasoline, and much of it at the expensive Canadian price of $5/gal. That gas propelled my motorhome all over the provinces of Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia during a 2-month trip.

So, it was one of the "things", but it was really about experiences because all I have left now are just memories and perhaps 1000 photos.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I bought and burned 1,000 gallons of gasoline, and much of it at the expensive Canadian price of $5/gal. That gas propelled my motorhome all over the provinces of Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia during a 2-month trip.

So, it was one of the "things", but it was really about experiences because all I have left now are just memories and perhaps 1000 photos.
Buying gas for the motor home is like buying a bus, train, or plane ticket, so that wouldn't count as a 'thing', IMHO.

But this got me thinking about Facebook travel posts. Did they really enjoy their travel, or did they go there just so they could brag about it on FB?

If the goal of your spending has an angle of "showing off", then maybe your happiness is secondary. Or maybe you're lucky in your choice of spending in that the direction of the happiness vector and the direction of the show-off vector are the same (engineers on this board will get it). But I figure that's not how it works-out much of the time, so one may be motiviated to spend towards status seeking instead of towards happiness seeking.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the big amount of gas that I burned was not really "things" in the sense of the thread - I was joking.

Travelers all tend to brag about their trips. However, people traveled long before the age of the Internet that now allows them to have blogs and Facebook posts. So, it is no different than successful market timers talking about their trades, ERs who manage to save enough to quit work, DIY'ers who repair their own appliances then talk about it, etc...

And I am grateful for the digital camera that lets me have so many photos to record the trips to jog my memory later. Thinking back to the day of the 35mm film camera, I don't think I ever used more than 2 or 3 of the film rolls on a trip. So, I did not even have all the trip photos that I now can snap with abandon.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bought and burned 1,000 gallons of gasoline, ... all I have left now are just memories and perhaps 1000 photos.
That's only one photo per gallon! You need a much higher efficiency camera.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Darn! I forgot to add my wife's photos, which brings down the $/photo cost.

Still, it may work out to a couple of $ per photos, hence still expensive, and most of them are not that good.

It would cost me nothing to surf the Web and download other people's photos, which are usually much better artistically.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

So, what's the moral here?

Don't buy "things". Do not buy "experiences" either. Just stay home, surf the Web, and live vicariously, and have that much more money?

Old 10-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ouch! That's a lot of gas. But think of the accommodation you didn't have to pay for. 60 days at $100 per night would be $6000. So you saved $1000!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, what's the moral here?

Don't buy "things". Do not buy "experiences" either. Just stay home, surf the Web, and live vicariously, and have that much more money?
No moral, just do what's good for your morale.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ouch! That's a lot of gas. But think of the accommodation you didn't have to pay for. 60 days at $100 per night would be $6000. So you saved $1000!
Well, we still had to pay for campground fees, although they were a lot lower being past prime travel season.

Could you believe that some commercial CGs charged $100/night in peak season in some spots? For just a place to park, plug in a power cord, and use perhaps 10 gals of water a day? But I guess that is still a lot lower than hotels in the same locale.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No moral, just do what's good for your morale.
It was just a rhetorical question.

Of course I have always done what I like to do. Not just traveling in my own way, but also market timing and all that stuff...

Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, we still had to pay for campground fees, although they were a lot lower being past prime travel season.

Could you believe that some commercial CGs charged $100/night in peak season in some spots? For just a place to park, plug in a power cord, and use perhaps 10 gals of water a day? But I guess that is still a lot lower than hotels in the same locale.
Yeah, I'm amazed at some folks' stories about getting free hotel rooms, or ones at less than $100 a night, at least in popular places.

I was thinking about this when making plans to visit my DS and DDIL in DC in December. I could have found a cheaper room far away from them, but I was willing to pay more for the experience to be close their apartment (a studio so no way I would be able to bunk with them!) and close to the museums, etc. At least I got my ticket for free on United, and at only 25,000 miles!

In any case, even in kinda out of the way Santa Maria, CA, I paid $179 for a (Saturday) night at the Holiday Inn on my way from the bay area to San Diego in early September. sheesh. And that was with the big AAA discount! But I wanted a pool after several hours on the road...
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote