Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #21

Not all gated communities are as desirable as others.

gate.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with you Ray on a place out in the country a bit vs the Stepford-type neighborhood in FL or wherever.

If the cold and grey winter becomes an issue, consider snowbirding for the worse 2-3 months. Depending on where you snowbird, you will probably make friends that you will see every year down at the snowbird place.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
Why not both?
I currently live on 7.5 acres in Oregon. I love it but the constant rain and gray skies over winter (and much of the rest of the year!) gets depressing.
I am seriously considering buying an inexpensive condo in a gated retirement community in Florida. At $85,00-$115,00 (or even less for a 1 bedroom) with all the amenities you described, it's a cheap way to snow bird.
Of course if its just rain move east of the Cascades and you can avoid the rain, such as Ontario Or for example. Oregon has about the greatest variablity of climate of any state at least in terms of rain from getting moldy on the coast to very dry in the Interior. For example (although it is to far in the middle of nowhere Jordan Valley is a site that shows it with lots of exposed lava flows.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

I find it hard to believe that any gated community would let you leave the garage doors open . In Sarasota that would be a major no -no. There are other choices besides step ford village . I would check out small communities that have an HMO if you want that well kept look or you could search for unique areas that do not have cookie cutter homes or club houses but are well maintained .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Which part of FL, if you don't mind me asking? We've considered a relocation to FL - mostly due to taxes and healthcare. A gated condo/townhouse community would be preferred.
One place that I visited people at was in Coconut Creek. It was nice, lots of amenities, but I'm not necessarily locked into that particular area/complex.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Of course if its just rain move east of the Cascades and you can avoid the rain, such as Ontario Or for example. Oregon has about the greatest variablity of climate of any state at least in terms of rain from getting moldy on the coast to very dry in the Interior. For example (although it is to far in the middle of nowhere Jordan Valley is a site that shows it with lots of exposed lava flows.
True, but then you are more likely to have to deal with snow. Also, Eastern Oregon doesn't have the things nearby that I need.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #27

I'm not going to judge the community. I would loath the heat and humidity of Florida, and no hurricanes for me!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I'm not going to judge the community. I would loath the heat and humidity of Florida, and no hurricanes for me!
That's why I would only go in the winter. The heat and humidity of the rest of the year would be unbearable.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I went there in summer. So hot and humid that my appendix burst.

So if I was OP, I would definitely want to live up north and snowbird to Florida if the urge for better winter weather strikes.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm sure there are valid reasons why people live up north and deal with snow to shovel, ice that you can slip on and break a leg, and freezing temperatures that can actually kill you if you don't have heat.
Millions do it with no problem and of course, technology has made winter living a lot easier...great clothing, heated seats and steering wheels in vehicles, you can get anything delivered if you don't want to go out. And just like with lawn care, you can pay someone to shovel if you don't want to do it.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #31

Quote:
I'm sure there are valid reasons why people live up north and deal with snow to shovel, ice that you can slip on and break a leg, and freezing temperatures that can actually kill you if you don't have heat.

But to me it seems completely insane, especially for those of us who are comfortably retired and can afford to choose where to live. Friends and relatives are nice and that is why we have e-mail and airplanes IMO. People who live in the South have friends too, and relatives love to have someone in Florida to visit.

So, my "vote" among the two choices you give above, would be to sell the Pennsylvania house and move to Florida ASAP. Whether you live in a gated community or not once you are a Florida resident is another choice, that you can figure out once you are there.
Vivre et Laisser Vivre
I'd die of heat stroke where you are.
If the heat didn't get me the fantastic food would!
Snowiest large city in the US, but only takes 15 minutes to blow out the driveway. The only animal that might kill me is a very near extinct little rattlesnake.
Of course leaving for the month of January makes it go easier.

Ray,
I'd like the farm house and rent down south for a month or so in the winter. Or crash at the relatives shiney new house and save the expense.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #32

Florida is a great place to live. It's a lifestyle change. You have to be careful where you buy (high crime areas, sink holes). The party is over for the super bargain real estate. We bought in 2011 and don't regret it one bit. On the east coast of Florida you really want to be east of the I-95 in the coastal communities close to the beaches. I would avoid those gated communities that are inland. I have a friend who bought a home in a gated community in Wellington. It's a nice home but boring inside the community.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Millions do it with no problem and of course, technology has made winter living a lot easier...great clothing, heated seats and steering wheels in vehicles, you can get anything delivered if you don't want to go out. And just like with lawn care, you can pay someone to shovel if you don't want to do it.
True. My car has heated seats, which have never been turned on. I had to pay for them because they were part of the package with other nifty stuff that I wanted. If I lived up there, I'd probably just stay home and have things delivered. My Amazon habits nearly cover delivery of everything already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Vivre et Laisser Vivre
I'd die of heat stroke where you are.
If the heat didn't get me the fantastic food would!
Diabetes is a huge problem here. I should know, mine is getting worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Snowiest large city in the US, but only takes 15 minutes to blow out the driveway. The only animal that might kill me is a very near extinct little rattlesnake.
Of course leaving for the month of January makes it go easier.
I don't mind staying here through the heat of summer. Usually summer just ends in the nick of time, when everyone is getting worn out from the heat and cranky. Or at least, I do anyway. But if summer was even one or two months longer, I'd be outta here by the end of August and on a cool mountaintop somewhere until it was over.

It's 66F outside right now, and we are enjoying these fall temperatures so much.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We live in a gated community on the coast (1.5miles from it anyway). Honestly I prefer them. Problem with NE FLA is anything West of the intracoastal is pretty boring and the neighborhoods are iffy. Call me a snob (if you like) but I have done 10 years of research and Pretty much any neighborhood that has homes in it for <$400k are a recipe for disaster, at least in our neck of the woods. The Market for >$500/600k is very slow, but you do get what you pay for.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We live in a gated community on the coast (1.5miles from it anyway). Honestly I prefer them. Problem with NE FLA is anything West of the intracoastal is pretty boring and the neighborhoods are iffy. Call me a snob (if you like) but I have done 10 years of research and Pretty much any neighborhood that has homes in it for <$400k are a recipe for disaster, at least in our neck of the woods. The Market for >$500/600k is very slow, but you do get what you pay for.
What kind of disaster? Honest question, I just don't know if you mean crime, or people not keeping up their homes, or what.

I can't imagine not keeping up a $350K house, or turning it into a crack house or something.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What kind of disaster? Honest question, I just don't know if you mean crime, or people not keeping up their homes, or what.
Just the Neighborhoods IMHO are very poorly kept, less pride of ownership. More delinquent HOA payments etc. At least around here. when we were looking I check out all that kind of stuff. not sure about crime as I did not get into that. Typically one or 2 drives around the area in the early AM then in the early evening tell a lot. Again, this is M opinion, I may be wrong.... This does not apply to condos or apartment complexes.

Also Gated areas seem to have some sensible rules I agree with. For example (no particular order):

1) Thou shall not park on the road at night.
2) Thou shall not have 5 cars in your driveway
3) No Sofas in the Driveway or dismantled trucks
4) Thou shall not let your grass grow out of control or your weeds for that matter
5) Thou shall not paint your house Rooster Dink Pink or Bruise Purple
6) Thou shall not have dead trees or shrubs in your yard
Old 11-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Just the Neighborhoods IMHO are very poorly kept, less pride of ownership. More delinquent HOA payments etc. At least around here. when we were looking I check out all that kind of stuff. not sure about crime as I did not get into that. Typically one or 2 drives around the area in the early AM then in the early evening tell a lot. Again, this is M opinion, I may be wrong....
Oh OK, thanks. I never thought about the problem of delinquent HOA payments, which I suppose could become an awful burden on the rest of the people living there. And you're right, I would not want to live in a neighborhood that is not well dept with pride of ownership.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh OK, thanks. I never thought about the problem of delinquent HOA payments, which I suppose could become an awful burden on the rest of the people living there. And you're right, I would not want to live in a neighborhood that is not well dept with pride of ownership.
You need to check rentals vs ownership too. It is not practical in most cases to rent a $500/$600k home for $2k pm, which is about what the rental market can stand here.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully I am not talking typing out of my rear. We have been looking to downsize from 3500sqft 1.25 story (suite above the garage) to about 2500sqft single story and simply cannot find a neighborhood locally we like.

We have decided to take some trips to other areas such as Sarasota, Venice and Naples to check them out. But there seems to be too many folk on the Gulf side, (especially in the winter season) and we like the fact that all buildings must be 4 stories or under where we are. That makes the beach way more pleasant than seeing high rises as far as the eye can see, which is the Florida norm.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #40

Buy in the country or in a 2017 Florida version of Levittown?

I left my home state of California (lived in Orange County until 3 years ago), had to get where I could have some space. I’m on 5 acres of pasture- so it’s not really “out in the country” yet it’s far enough out to have breathing room.

I don’t think I could do a suburb again. And yes I left the “perfect” weather for 4 seasons and enjoy them very much.

I’m 40 minutes from a good hospital but other than the dentist and mammograms I’ve not seen a doctor in 15 years.

So— my vote is the country! [emoji6]
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote