Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have 400+ CD's, and regularly cycle through them. I still buy some music, but not much new stuff. I have gone digital with about half of my buying over the last few years, mostly adding to artists that I already like, finding old songs that I had lost track of, or discovering previous, little known artists that are in my interest area.

I do have a couple dozen movies, and occasionally watch them again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Big Hitter, if you are a McMurtry fan, check out a few of my other favorites in that genre: American Aquarium, Turnpike Troubadours, Slaid Cleves, and Chris Knight. And of course the artist whose vinyl I bought at his show, Sturgill Simpson.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I haven't bought any music or movies for at least 10 years (other than DW spending a few bucks total on some rare songs she really wanted).

Way too much content for free or by paid subscription (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc) to bother with maintaining a library of content myself (even if it were free).

Oddly enough tonight we were jamming out to some old vinyl at our rental house here in Kentucky. That's something I've never done since listening to nursery rhymes back in the 1980's. I love asking the kids "what kind of CDs are these big black things?". The experience was kind of cool, but kind of not. DW asked why it was scratchy (I'm guessing dust on the record and/or needle). I grew frustrated flipping through the hundreds of albums in the collection and finding not a single Johnny Cash album (it takes about 6.5 seconds to listen to this via Youtube).
Old 07-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The experience was kind of cool, but kind of not. DW asked why it was scratchy (I'm guessing dust on the record and/or needle). I grew frustrated flipping through the hundreds of albums in the collection and finding not a single Johnny Cash album (it takes about 6.5 seconds to listen to this via Youtube).
sounds like you need to update your turntable and amplifier - when is the last time you changed the cartridge? I have a ton of cash vinyl.

even on a crappy (70s) high school system vinyl sounds 10x better than mp3/stream
Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Big Hitter, if you are a McMurtry fan, check out a few of my other favorites in that genre: American Aquarium, Turnpike Troubadours, Slaid Cleves, and Chris Knight. And of course the artist whose vinyl I bought at his show, Sturgill Simpson.
I bought slaid cleves' first cd when it came out...gosh 20 years ago?

I listen to all those bands on outlaw Sirius xm. love them all!
Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The experience was kind of cool, but kind of not. DW asked why it was scratchy (I'm guessing dust on the record and/or needle). I grew frustrated flipping through the hundreds of albums in the collection and finding not a single Johnny Cash album (it takes about 6.5 seconds to listen to this via Youtube).
sounds like you need to update your turntable and amplifier - when is the last time you changed the cartridge? I have a ton of cash vinyl. ...
It could be the vinyl itself is scratched/dirty/worn. A lot of people did not treat their vinyl carefully, I doubt that an updated turntable and/or amplifier would overcome that. I've seen some ugly, ugly vinyl, worn and scratched way past any cleaning efforts.

Quote:
... even on a crappy (70s) high school system vinyl sounds 10x better than mp3/stream
I avoid lossy compression like mp3, but I think you are underestimating how bad a 70's turntable, old, improperly set up cartridge, and dirty worn records can sound!

I'm sure that your pristine vinyl, on a decent 70's turntable, with a decent, clean and properly set up cartridge can sound better to you and many others (it is subjective - they each have their pros/cons) than an mp3, but the reality is that not everyone has a decent setup that has been maintained.

BTW, my turntable is a lower-middle-of-the road 70's unit, with a Shure V15 cartridge. My records have only been played a few times, and I treat them well. They sound very good, and I mainly use the turntable to digitize those old LPs, then I listen to the lossless FLAC recordings I make (after carefully cleaning up some pops/clicks that bother me). I don't use the automatic software - that always seems to muck up the sound, IME.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It could be the vinyl itself is scratched/dirty/worn. A lot of people did not treat their vinyl carefully, I doubt that an updated turntable and/or amplifier would overcome that. I've seen some ugly, ugly vinyl, worn and scratched way past any cleaning efforts.

I avoid lossy compression like mp3, but I think you are underestimating how bad a 70's turntable, old, improperly set up cartridge, and dirty worn records can sound!

I'm sure that your pristine vinyl, on a decent 70's turntable, with a decent, clean and properly set up cartridge can sound better to you and many others (it is subjective - they each have their pros/cons) than an mp3, but the reality is that not everyone has a decent setup that has been maintained.

BTW, my turntable is a lower-middle-of-the road 70's unit, with a Shure V15 cartridge. My records have only been played a few times, and I treat them well. They sound very good, and I mainly use the turntable to digitize those old LPs, then I listen to the lossless FLAC recordings I make (after carefully cleaning up some pops/clicks that bother me). I don't use the automatic software - that always seems to muck up the sound, IME.

-ERD50
I have a technics sl-d2 I bought in 1978ish. Sucker was $100 back then, that was some serious scratch! yes I take really good care of my vinyl, but I always took that stack of vinyl records with me (Todd Snider) so some are worn quite a bit
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

These days I download music for free from the library using Freegal. For movies we use Netflix and Prime. I also buy some movies on DVD for $1 at the library used book sales and keep them for times we can't find anything good to stream, then donate them back after we've watched them.

I stopped renting DVDs from the library because I was getting too many late fines. Our local library has a short loan period for DVDs compared to books. It costs me less in fines and gas to just buy the movies at the used library sales for $1.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

went downstairs to get a CD this morning and how on earth do I NOT have ZZ Top's First Album on cd?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Still buying music on CD and movies on bluray.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
went downstairs to get a CD this morning and how on earth do I NOT have ZZ Top's First Album on cd?

I inherited some music from a buddy, including Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres. Apparently some "producer" has remixed those, much to the detriment of the music. Drums sound canned, and some godawful reverb/delay added....

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I inherited some music from a buddy, including Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres. Apparently some "producer" has remixed those, much to the detriment of the music. Drums sound canned, and some godawful reverb/delay added....
I'll have to compare; I do have both of those on cd and vinyl

dw did get me this for xmas one year and I have it in the car

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Smoke-.../dp/B00006OYL5
Old 07-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a collection of vinyl albums, 45s, cassettes, 8 tracks (yes), CD's, Edison cylinders, mini discs, you name it. I listen to music nearly every day.

Haven't "purchased" any in years. There is a used book/media store in town that we trade our used magazines and books for store credit. I "buy" CDs, etc using that credit, so no money is involved. I've also used Freegal for downloads bit the selection is rather limited.

As far as movies are concerned, we either watch them on Prime or thru the Roku, although I really can't sit still for an hour and a half any more. If we find a DVD we like at the library, I'll handbrake it to iTunes and we'll have it later to watch on the ipad or TV.

I do have a collection of laser discs but my player died long ago.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

DW is out right now looking for ZZ Top's first album on vinyl lol
Old 07-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As I've posted previously, I've decided to never pay what I refer to as "push" media again. Push media to me is anything OTA, including radio, television, news, or movies, which is "pushed" at the public. These have all become non-rival and therefore essentially free (I have no time or desire to watch the show of the day). This is one of the reasons my entertainment budget has fallen pretty drastically since retirement.

I've recently discovered more excellent music than I can listen to on a number of sites, including music from singers/groups I paid for back in the day, but songs of theirs I never heard (because push media filters out a lot of entertainment by design, i.e., playlists, formats, charts, ratings, etc.). Although I have a relic television, DVD player, stereo and 300 CDs sitting in the corner, I never use them anymore, and they'll be left behind when I move.

I'm not sure if it's a result of getting older, but more and more I seem to be moving towards simplicity in all things and achieving greater satisfaction as a result.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Although I have a relic television, DVD player, stereo and 300 CDs sitting in the corner, I never use them anymore. They will be left behind when I move.
dibs?
Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I am sure there's no one answer these days, and there wasn't in the analog days.

I used to buy albums often and listen to music daily. I sold all my LP's long ago. I still have about 250 CD's (all in a box in a closet), but I've only bought a couple (physical CD's) in the last ten years. If I want a new 'album' these days I just download it from iTunes. We have 2500+ songs, about 80% legally ripped from our CD's and the rest purchased digital. We've never stolen music, Napster, etc. But we don't need to revisit that debate.

We probably have 20 DVD/BluRay movies, only because DW wants to own some, even though we very rarely watch them. These days we rent from Redbox or iTunes some, but mostly we wait for them to come up on TV, record them on our DVR, and keep them for a while. When we erase them, we know they will come up again soon enough.

Same with books, where I used to love buying books - now I check them out from the library (physical or ebook) or download from Kindle or iBooks. I may never buy another hard copy book.

We are not subscription people, but maybe someday...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I still buy songs from ITunes, but have bought less now that I have Amazon Prime. Haven't bought a movie in a long-time, but we do have some favorites from the past that we go back and watch. Do a fair amount of Red Box, Netflix, and On-Demand for current movies.

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Plex
Old 07-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Plex

Would like to discuss the subject of PLEX, and wondering if anyone here is using it. (part of the cable cutting project)

Anyone?
Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We own loads of old LPs, CDs, and DVDs. But they're all stored away in boxes. Long ago, I transferred them to digital files. They now reside on a couple of external HDDs. Same drives contain about 50 hours of home video of the kids and our entire collection of digital photos. Access is easy via an old laptop running Kodi connected to the main TV and surround sound system.

Haven't purchased music or movies in over 10 years. We still access the old stuff quite a bit. But for new music (or new to us), we mainly use Pandora (free version) and YouTube. YouTube is good for quick access to something specific you want to hear. Pandora is great for discovering new music. I spent a lot of time configuring 7 very specific stations with artists and genres that I like. I also make an effort to provide feedback as much as possible so Pandora knows what I like. So much great music out there that I never would have found without Pandora.

For movies, we've started going to the theater a bit more since retiring, which IMO is still the best way to experience a movie. We go on weekday afternoons when we basically have the theater to ourselves. Otherwise we use Netflix, Amazon Prime, or sometimes record OTA using Kodi.