Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
sounds like you need to update your turntable and amplifier - when is the last time you changed the cartridge? I have a ton of cash vinyl.

even on a crappy (70s) high school system vinyl sounds 10x better than mp3/stream
It's a rental airbnb we are at with all the vinyl. The record player looks newish, and needle looks good. The records were a little dusty but looked in good condition other than being warped possibly due to heat (we're in Kentucky and it's hot).

Not sure what the amplifier would have to do with the scratchiness? I assume it's a record-needle thing.

Some records sound clear and others are scratchy, so I assume it must be dirty or scratched vinyl that's the culprit. Though none sound as good as digital audio from mp3s, and I have the entire internet of music available to me (instead of only a few hundred records).

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
I have over 300 CDs and around 100 DVDs, including box sets for a few TV shows that I enjoy. I am still buying, but at a very slow rate, and its usually from a pawn ship, eBay, or on Black Friday (Thursday?) I use the box sets of comedies while I'm working out.

My weekend hobby is mixing live sound so I need to play break music in places where there is no connectivity from time to time. For that reason, and out of habit, I maintain a music library in iTunes of songs that I've ripped from my CD collection and from CDs checked out from the library. My library is ripped at 222Kbps, a rate I chose back when storage space on portable media was a concern. One of my retirement projects might be to redo my music library at 360 VBR; a rate that my ears are not be able to distinguish from 16 bit or lossless.

I don't use YouTube nearly enough. In fact, I was kind of surprised to learn that it's a great source for music and not just videos. While I still have a good stereo at home, I rarely sit down in the center sweet spot and listen to a CD all the way through anymore. In reality, my CD and LP collection has always been mainly a source to make portable mix tapes from, so the advent of high capacity lossy portable music players has worked out great for me. I sold my turntable and LPs years ago and if I can figure out a good backup method, then once I redo my music library, I could sell off my CD collection too.

NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OT: We don't buy movies, but we sometimes get them from the library....last night watched Men of Honor (2000) - IMDb

Loved it! /OT

"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote