Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Buy Nothing Day - spread the word
Old 11-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buy Nothing Day - spread the word

Buy Nothing Day - Adbusters
IBND Index - International Buy Nothing Day
Buy Nothing Day
Buy Nothing Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately I didn't know about this day - It didn't get too much press; did it!
I went to WalMart and bought some food... only $45.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dang, I sprung for lunch for my family today....does that count?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #3

Sounds like an elitist's holiday...I understand the logic behind it, and many of us are out of control with their credit cards and consumerism, but a lot of people on the lower end of the food chain work selling people stuff...a lot of those people would end up without jobs and those people would definitely slow down their consumption....and pretty soon other people would out of work and on and on....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Sounds like an elitist's holiday...I understand the logic behind it, and many of us are out of control with their credit cards and consumerism, but a lot of people on the lower end of the food chain work selling people stuff...a lot of those people would end up without jobs and those people would definitely slow down their consumption....and pretty soon other people would out of work and on and on....
Not only that, but as a parasitic rentier class we ERs need all the buying that other people can muster to keep the merry-go-round functioning.
So encourage your friends to pawn their jewelry, take out HELOCs, and get their credit card limits increased. It's Christmas, get out and buy!

Ha
Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Not only that, but as a parasitic rentier class we ERs need all the buying that other people can muster to keep the merry-go-round functioning.
So encourage your friends to pawn their jewelry, take out HELOCs, and get their credit card limits increased. It's Christmas, get out and buy!

Ha
I am all for that, as long as I do not have to participate.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cool! I spent nothing yesterday and did not go anywhere. Now I can feel that I contributed to a cause.

It really bothers me that so much of our economy is built around Christmas. It isn't a religious issue, it is a pointless buying spree issue. People buying things for others that are not needed or wanted. People buying stuff for themselves that aren't needed or maybe not even wanted if they really thought about it. With all these dollars being spent, it would make far more sense if they were spent productively. What an economic waste.

Wonder how much money is spent on Christmas kitsch? Yesterday when I turned on HGTV every show was on decorating a house for Christmas. Fortunately, it was Star Trek Enterprise all day on another channel.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It isn't a religious issue
I guess not...... since very, very little about christmas in the USA has anything to do with religion!

It certainly is a successful marketing campaign! Peoples' emotional strings (hedonism, sentimentalism, nostalga, greed, etc.) are plucked to the tune of profit. It's quite a spectacle!

A few years ago, I got to be in China for for their New Year celebration for the first time. Much partying, consumption, gifting, business shut down for a week, etc. Obviously, there were important differences between that and Christmas here, but many similarities too........ especially in peoples' attitudes towards the holiday.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Darn if I'd only known I'd have skipped buying the quart of cookie dough ice cream for $3.99. Otherwise unless one counts electricity consumed and gasoline burned no purchases yesterday.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We did our part yesterday, just played in the yard and ate leftovers.

Quote:
Wonder how much money is spent on Christmas kitsch?
Whatever it is, my MIL has a substantial pie slice all to herself. Its an illness. She buys us carloads of little statues and figures and decorations, absolutely none of which we use. Her house has so much stuff, holiday and otherwise, that you have to turn sideways in some passages to get through.

Three years ago I suggested she not get us any more of that stuff and just buy stuff for Gabe. We got a trunkload of crap anyhow and I drove it directly to Goodwill. Two years ago I flat out told her that we were throwing the stuff out or giving it away, so please stop. She looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said "I'm still getting it for you. Its what I do!". Another trip to goodwill.

I expect this year will be more of the same. What a waste.

Of course they have no retirement savings and are in debt up to their eyeballs, both in their 60's...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Christmas is Saturnalia with a new face. Even the wage slaves are allowed to have a good time.

I went to work so it was almost negative spending, I bought some books and the new Alicia Keyes CD for myself from Amazon.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Cool! I spent nothing yesterday and did not go anywhere. Now I can feel that I contributed to a cause.
Same here. Spent nothing. Went nowhere. Did nothing. SUCCESS!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I went to the grocery store and bought some marked-down meat.