View Poll Results: What care to buy?
Pontiac G6 3 7.69%
Hyundai Sonata 20 51.28%
Pontiac Vibe 9 23.08%
Hyundai Elantra 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We are still struggling through the end of a recession - and you are planning to use a US program to get "cash for clunkers" money to help make this purchase. Why would you consider a non-American car company?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
We are still struggling through the end of a recession - and you are planning to use a US program to get "cash for clunkers" money to help make this purchase. Why would you consider a non-American car company?
A LOT of "import" cars are made in the US today, while more and more "domestic" cars are being made OUTSIDE of the US, in places like Mexico and Brazil.

Sounds like you are a protectionist.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
For what it's worth, the Sonata is built at a Hyundai plant in Montgomery, AL. Some "American" cars aren't built in America at all, such as the new Chevy Camaro (Oshawa, Canada), and the Ford Fusion (Hermosillo, Mexico).

My Nissan was built by Americans in Tennessee.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Very few vehicles are "imported" fully assembled. Most are built by U.S. labor. And my bank accounts are not social programs.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What is 'American' and what is not?

Is the Pontiac Vibe an American car? It IS a GM sold car...

If you say 'yes', then the Toyota Matrix is also an American car because they are built on the same assembly line and have basically the same componets...

I did not check out the American content of any of these cars...
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

quietman is a little confused..........

Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #27

There have been a number of articles on what constitutes an "American" car anymore. Nissan, Honda and Toyota all have assembly plants in the U.S. My GMC truck was made in Canada. The electronics for all of them are made in various Asian countries.

My Suzuki motorcycle was made in Japan, but I've read that GM owns 40% of Suzuki.

It isn't cut and dry anymore.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I know Chrysler is not on OP's list, but I just saw this today:

Chrysler Offers $4,500 as ‘Clunker’ Program Begins (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Perhaps the info could be used in negotiating?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Chrysler Offers $4,500 as €˜Clunker€™ Program Begins (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Since I am in a credit union, the G6 reabate is $4,750, the Matrix is $3,250...

Hyundai is giving $3,000 for the Sonata and $2,000 for the Elantra...

I will see if some of these goes up... but I am not interested in any Chrysler... I think they are a lot worse than GM...

As for negotiating... only for the Hyundai.... I can get the supplier price on the GMs... which, BTW are NOT that much less... but still less then I can negotiate...
Old 07-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Since I am in a credit union, the G6 reabate is $4,750, the Matrix is $3,250...

Hyundai is giving $3,000 for the Sonata and $2,000 for the Elantra...

I will see if some of these goes up... but I am not interested in any Chrysler... I think they are a lot worse than GM...
Well, the article does say the other car makers are expected to follow suit, so maybe that would be helpful info?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Chrysler Offers $4,500 as ‘Clunker’ Program Begins (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

OK... I can hope they do match.... here is the costs IF they match..

G6
Sonata
Vibe
Elantra

The Elantra starts to look very good at that price...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

OK..... how about buy one... get a second for $1...

"Buy any new 2009 Hyundai Sonata and get a new 2009 Hyundai Accent for 1$ offer: When you purchase any new 2009 Hyundai Sonata at Dealers list price, you will receive a new 2009 Hyundai Accent (Dealer List Price $10,960.00) for $1. The customer is responsible for all fees and taxes on both vehicles (by the way, thats less than $600 on the Accent).
Dealership must receive all funds from customer and finance source for the Sonata before finalizing the Accent purchase and delivery. In other words, if you buy a Sonata, the dealership must have all funds collected from you and the lien holder before we finalize the sale and you take delivery of the Accent.
Offer is valid while supplies last or June 30th, 2009 whichever comes first. There are a limited number of these models remaining in inventory, so hurry! All vehicles must have the same name on the titles (Co-buyers are okay). This offer cannot be combined with any other offers. Any rebates that you qualify for, on both vehicles, will be used in conjunction with dealer discounts towards the purchase of the Accent. Offer is for well qualified buyers or cash buyers."
Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK..... how about buy one... get a second for $1...

"Buy any new 2009 Hyundai Sonata and get a new 2009 Hyundai Accent for 1$ offer: When you purchase any new 2009 Hyundai Sonata at Dealers list price, you will receive a new 2009 Hyundai Accent (Dealer List Price $10,960.00) for $1. The customer is responsible for all fees and taxes on both vehicles (by the way, thats less than $600 on the Accent).
Dealership must receive all funds from customer and finance source for the Sonata before finalizing the Accent purchase and delivery. In other words, if you buy a Sonata, the dealership must have all funds collected from you and the lien holder before we finalize the sale and you take delivery of the Accent.
Offer is valid while supplies last or June 30th, 2009 whichever comes first. There are a limited number of these models remaining in inventory, so hurry! All vehicles must have the same name on the titles (Co-buyers are okay). This offer cannot be combined with any other offers. Any rebates that you qualify for, on both vehicles, will be used in conjunction with dealer discounts towards the purchase of the Accent. Offer is for well qualified buyers or cash buyers."
It expired June 30th, any updates??

Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It expired June 30th, any updates??
Wow... did not see that date.... I just heard it on the radio ad last night... I guess when you go into the dealer they say 'that program is over'....
Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because that is how Congress wrote the rules? If they intended the program to be mfg specific, they should have done that.

BTW, I think the program is stupid in every way imaginable.

-ERD50
Old 07-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #36

I voted for the Sonata. We purchased a Santa Fe a few weeks ago. Absolutely love the car.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So how does cash for clunker work? The manufacturers are making it sound as if as long as you trade in an older vehicle for a new higher MPG new vehicle, you could get $3500 to $4500. Even the lower $3500 is higher than what I can get for my 8-year-old domestic van with close to 90,000 miles on it. That new Mazda3 hatchback is looking pretty good with a $4500 discount.

BTW, according to http://www.cars.gov/, the program's details are just starting to firm up, so the program is just getting start instead of being over by June, 2009 as another poster stated.

OK, so for a car that gets 4 MPG more, you qualify for the $3500 rebate. For a car that gets 10 MPG more, you qualify for the $4500 rebate. The car you're trading in can't be more than 25 years old.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
So how does cash for clunker work? The manufacturers are making it sound as if as long as you trade in an older vehicle for a new higher MPG new vehicle, you could get $3500 to $4500. Even the lower $3500 is higher than what I can get for my 8-year-old domestic van with close to 90,000 miles on it. That new Mazda3 hatchback is looking pretty good with a $4500 discount.

BTW, according to CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”, the program's details are just starting to firm up, so the program is just getting start instead of being over by June, 2009 as another poster stated.

OK, so for a car that gets 4 MPG more, you qualify for the $3500 rebate. For a car that gets 10 MPG more, you qualify for the $4500 rebate. The car you're trading in can't be more than 25 years old.
Your last stmt is correct...

Your second, about someone posting about it ending June is wrong.... that was the $1 car promo I posted.... not the cash for clunkers..
Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #39

My wife moved from an Acura to a Hyundai Sonata about six years ago. We paid it off early. Full power-everything and leather seats. It was her way of downsizing without giving up comfort/luxury. We've had no major issues and very few minor ones. It's been a real solid car to own and drive.

As part of our get-out-of-debt program I sold my Honda CR-V for around $10,000 a few years ago and purchased a 2001 Elantra with 140,000 miles on it for $4000. Used the proceeds to pay off the motorcycles. I called it my ghetto-mobile. The wife made me replace the steel wheels. I drove it for two years commuting. It ran very well for an older car and never left me stranded or calling for roadside assistance.

So yeah, Elantra or Sonata, can't go wrong. Elantra if you want to get rid of the debt soonest. Pontiac? Well, my wife's sister used to work for them and I've heard too many stories. She owns a Jeep now.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for this thread. I just went and bought a Sonata based upon all the feedback on here. Sweet deal. They discounted $900 off dealer invoice, $3,000 rebate, and gave me full Kelly Blue Book trade value on my big boat 2003 Mercury. Got out of there for a little over $10k and a brand new car with a 100k miles warranty plan and the automatic transmission. I'm 6'3" tall and this car is as roomy as my Merc, and has a bigger trunk! I didn't even haggle, there was no need. I was going to buy a Cadillac but their salesman was the laziest I have ever come across.