Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I will remember that when shopping, KB. I haven't ever had the experience of a foam topper on a mattress yet.
We had an older, too-firm queen mattress and tried out the 2" Novafoam memory gel mattress topper. DH took a couple of days to get used to it, but I was an instant convert.

We got the same 2" topper for our new king bed. We both have never slept better.

The toppers do tend to get a bit firm during colder weather, but if I pre-heat the bed with the electric blanket, it gets just right.

Signed,
Goldilocks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #22

We bought a Sleep Number split California-king - the one where you can elevate the head and feet like a hospital bed. I love it, and hoped it would end DH's snoring. Not only did it not cure the snoring, but he hated the bed. He ended up moving to his own room, and now I have that big old thing all to myself, with no one snoring all night. Problem solved.

Buying a new bed is worse than buying a new car, IMHO.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
We had an older, too-firm queen mattress and tried out the 2" Novafoam memory gel mattress topper. DH took a couple of days to get used to it, but I was an instant convert.
...We got the same 2" topper for our new king bed. We both have never slept better....
That's what I have: "an older, too-firm queen mattress." Mine is circa 1991, if you can believe it! ('Living below your means.')

I'm considering getting one of those mattress toppers from Costco, for ~$120, instead of a new mattress & bed spring at some $700-plus. If that topper doesn't do the trick, I can always return the topper and once again consider a complete bed set--thanks to Costco's great return policy.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought a sleep number two years ago. It was pricey, but I love that bed ! The salesman said "its the last mattress you'll ever buy" and he's right. Instead of replacing the entire bed you replace the parts you need - side cushions, topper, air sacs, pump, etc. I don't know how much the component parts are, but I'm hoping that over the long run it pays off. Just in case, my budget includes an accrual for replacing the entire thing in 15 years - DH and I both love our bed.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #25

BTW: I see that Costco will haul away the old set for $80, but there are a few people on my local Craigslist that want a queen set for free and will come get. So, if I get something from Costco, I'll "save" $80 by getting someone to come take it; it's clean and still in relatively decent shape, but oh so old.

Also went to Costco today and they had a queen mattress/box spring set on sale for $480, but if you checked the exact Item #792993 on-line (but the item # search came up with the item under different #823442) it was $100 more, even with the $120 off!

Guess I'll have to go back to the store to see if I can get it online at that store price, and how to go about doing that.

Anyone have any experience with this particular mattress model?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #26

Update: after much research, rather than spending some ~$700-plus for a new mattress set, I bought a 3" memory foam topper from Costco last week 'on sale' for ~$120. (I figured it should last me some 3 to 5 years; and maybe I'll meet someone in the meantime with her own lovely bed that we both can enjoy.)

I'm still getting used to this topper (and thinking 'bout getting a mattress pad to put on top of this foam topper, as suggested by some online reviews) but so far so good.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Update: after much research, rather than spending some ~$700-plus for a new mattress set, I bought a 3" memory foam topper from Costco last week 'on sale' for ~$120. (I figured it should last me some 3 to 5 years; and maybe I'll meet someone in the meantime with her own lovely bed that we both can enjoy.)

I'm still getting used to this topper (and thinking 'bout getting a mattress pad to put on top of this foam topper, as suggested by some online reviews) but so far so good.
I hope it works out for you.

Frank is was thinking of buying a new mattress set because his bed is too hard to be comfortable. After looking at the prices this afternoon he is not so enthusiastic. I told him about your mattress topper solution so maybe that will be something he can check out.

It is shocking to see how much mattress prices have increased in just a very few years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

There's an auction house close to me that takes in and auctions just a ton of Costco items. I'm not sure if it's mostly floor models, returns or what, but the savings are significant - about 20-30% of retail from what I've seen. I bought my bed frame and gel mattress (LOVE my gel mattress! Firm, yet slightly squishy!) from Costco a couple of years ago. The queen frame alone was around $1200 retail IIRC and I saw the exact same frame style in a king size with 2 dressers and 2 night stands go for $700 at the auction. Oh well.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Buying a new bed is worse than buying a new car, IMHO.
+1. We've been disappointed every time and we've tried everything except TemperPedic (sounds too not). We did not like Sleep Number, natural latex, med or firm innerspring...sigh. I wake up sore every morning, recover during the day, and sore again the next morning, repeat day after day. So I am always interested in threads like this, though I have nothing to offer.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a relative that works at a "mattress" store. She has been there for years. I have a horrible back so I decided to upgrade to a better mattress. TempurPedic was super expensive. She recommended and I ultimately purchased a serta I comfort. Half the price of the tempurPedic. Still expensive, but is an amazing mattress that I intend to keep for a very long time. Also, got her discount. Those things are marked up really high.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #31

You might find this link helpful, with additional links inside the post:

//http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75252
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We have a TempurPedic at our summer place, but didn't want to spend that much money for the bed down here in FL. So we got a much cheaper memory foam mattress from Sam's Club. I don't remember the model, but it was significantly less than $1K. It's totally comfortable. Not as nice as the TempurPedic, but definitely comfortable.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We have been using a Scandinavian-style platform bed without a box spring for 30 years now. I like a firm bed and eliminating the box spring is the way to do it. I also like a low bed, though I do not yet have to worry about falling out off bed and hurting myself. I am so used to a low bed now that sleeping in hotel high beds makes me uncomfortable.

Anybody else is using a mattress without the box spring?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #34

Part of the problem is people vary so much - broad/narrow shoulders, b/n hips, weights vary by hundreds of pounds, etc.

I went through a variety of mattresses that gave me various aches. Our most recent mattress is a TempurPedic which, though expensive, seems to work best for me. No morning aches. We'll see how long it lasts though...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anybody else is using a mattress without the box spring?
Me. Never had a boxspring at home. I think the only purpose they serve is to create a flat surface to put a mattress on sicne you can't rest a mattress on top of the wire that most bedframes are made of. That's what the platform on my bedframe does. The sleepnumber doesn't require a boxspring either. It has a flat surface to put the mattress on.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote