Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
I haven't seen the carpet companies, pool/spa companies, electronics companies, appliance stores, and art galleries all going out of business even though they sell items just as expensive for a fixed price.
Man, you don't get it. Let me try again to explain.

If one dealer sets a firm price the others in the area will eat his lunch. Unless all the dealers agree to a one price program the dealer who set's a firm price is done.

Now, if all the dealers agree to one price that is against the law. It's called price fixing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Man, you don't get it. Let me try again to explain.

If one dealer sets a firm price the others in the area will eat his lunch. Unless all the dealers agree to a one price program the dealer who set's a firm price is done.

Now, if all the dealers agree to one price that is against the law. It's called price fixing.
Can you come up with any valid reason this doesn't happen in all other industries?

I buy a couple million dollars worth of chemicals for my company every year and there is feirce competition, but they all charge a fixed price.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #143

Sorry,FOA, not a clue. I can only tell you about the car biz as that's all I did all my life.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #144

Perhaps this is the issue with the car companies.
They literally don't comprehend any other way of doing business?
There is some sort of disconnect, that won't allow them to learn from successful strategies used in other industries, or even car makers. In Saturn's case, they couldn't understand it, so they bought it?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #145

I purchased a Honda Pilot about two years ago Went on line to Edmunds.com and figured out what people were paying for them, cost, dealers cost, discounts, rebates. Sent an email to a nearby Honda place and Toyota (for Highlander) with what I wanted and what I was willing to pay.

Now here is the sweet part. The Honda dealer called quoted $150 less than I had! I was looking for a hitch when I went to the dealer. No hitch. Told him Cash, No ext. waranties, Gone from dealer in about 30 min with new car. Car cost $150 less than what Edmunds said to offer.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I haven't seen the carpet companies, pool/spa companies, electronics companies, appliance stores, and art galleries all going out of business even though they sell items just as expensive for a fixed price.
Not as fixed as you might think.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Especially not in a terrible economy when many businesses are desperate to make sales.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bestwifeever, if you are retired why don't you have a little fun. Go down to your local dealer and apply for a salesjob. It's easy to get the only requirement is that you can fog a mirror.

Stay there for one week and let's have this talk again.
Oh-Oh.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I purchased a Honda Pilot about two years ago Went on line to Edmunds.com and figured out what people were paying for them, cost, dealers cost, discounts, rebates. Sent an email to a nearby Honda place and Toyota (for Highlander) with what I wanted and what I was willing to pay.

Now here is the sweet part. The Honda dealer called quoted $150 less than I had! I was looking for a hitch when I went to the dealer. No hitch. Told him Cash, No ext. waranties, Gone from dealer in about 30 min with new car. Car cost $150 less than what Edmunds said to offer.
No offense, but Edmunds.com is NOT the gold standard for what cars are worth, nor is KBB or anyone else. Current auction reports or a current black book are better. Ever heard of "regional pricing"? Happens all the time. Right now, 4wds are gold around here, because we just got another 5 inches of snow. RWD pickups probably fell off the map today.......

Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am truly shocked on this frugal site that folks think you can't negotiate like mad at ANY retail store. Heck, I was dickering last week at Best Buy, and got close to a deal on an appliance. Right now they are duking it out with Sears. God Bless them, in the end I win, as the almighty consumer............

Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Right now, 4wds are gold around here, because we just got another 5 inches of snow
... and because gas isn't $4 per gallon any more.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
... and because gas isn't $4 per gallon any more.
So, now folks MIGHT be able to trade in that gas guzzler, as the market has rebounded for their SUVs. Only problem is, the bank won't loan them money.........

Old 12-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
There is some sort of disconnect, that won't allow them to learn from successful strategies used in other industries, or even car makers. In Saturn's case, they couldn't understand it, so they bought it?
CarMax seems to have figured out a way to do a lot of deals that is different than most dealerships......

Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Whenever I guzzle, I burp....
Old 12-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
That seems to be it.

Quote:

True that some people do negotiate on many things. But I don't see it as the norm in most industries. I do see it as the norm in car sales.

-ERD50
Old 12-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #156
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yeah everything is negotiable, but the car industry seems to be suffering from negotiamania.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #157

Quote:
On Purpose, no such thing. After 35 years I've never heard of trying to delay a sale. Do you think that a salesperson making about $50 to $75 to sell you a car want's to spend the whole day with you. The salesperson has no say on what the car will sell for. In most cases they don't even know the actual dealer cost after rebates and programs with money back to the dealer from the manufacturer.
This sounds to me like an utterly cockeyed way to run a business. I used to work in a fabric store. If we'd used the same sales method as a car dealer, we'd not have put accurate price tags on the merchandise, so neither the customers nor the clerks knew the cost of a yard of cloth or a spool of thread. With every sale the clerk would have had to go to the store manager and ask "is it OK if I sell this for $X a yard?" and the customer would have had to wait 30 or 40 minutes to get an answer.

I don't think any manager who ran her store that way would have lasted very long, but it wouldn't matter because I doubt that any of the customers would have set foot in the store ever again after one such experience. I know I wouldn't!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am truly shocked on this frugal site that folks think you can't negotiate like mad at ANY retail store.
Quote:
Yeah everything is negotiable, but the car industry seems to be suffering from negotiamania.
Why bother negotiating when you can do better with Craigslist?

Last month we bought $1500 of Home Depot gift cards for $750 from a very angry woman who was divorcing her husband. I should've bought another $3000 for $1500 but that seemed to be pushing it. (I was wrong.) However as far as we're concerned HD is now selling everything to us at half-off-- which is going to keep us out of Lowes, KMart, & City Mill for quite a while.

We haven't bought retail furniture since Feb 08 (a lanai swing couch) and Feb 07 (a livingroom couch). In the last 22 months we've bought furniture from 11 other Craigslist sellers, and we found the second retailer through Craigslist. Looking back through our Quicken records, it looks like we buy retail furniture about once a year and buy/sell through Craigslist about 10 times for every retail purchase.

Spouse has never bought a new car, and I haven't been in a car dealership since 1981. Our next seven vehicles came from newspaper classifieds & Craigslist.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #159

Edmunds may or may not have the absolute best price one can get on a car. However, it is a lot better than going in, looking at a sticker and have your friendly auto dealer say, 'That's just the sticker, you can't buy it for anywhere near that price, lots of add on stuff!'

If I get a car within a 100 bucks of Edmunds, I figure that's close enough. By the way, I have put in different zip codes and gotten different prices on Edmunds, so they must consider some regional pricing.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Last month we bought $1500 of Home Depot gift cards for $750 from a very angry woman who was divorcing her husband. I should've bought another $3000 for $1500 but that seemed to be pushing it. (I was wrong.) However as far as we're concerned HD is now selling everything to us at half-off-- which is going to keep us out of Lowes, KMart, & City Mill for quite a while.
Nords, how do you verify that the card is good before purchasing it?