Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I prefer having a keyboard where I can feel the keys. Found myself back to the hunt and peck days when using the on screen keyboard. However if you don't plan on doing a lot of email or other docs you probably wouldn't need it.

My only other accessory is a Directv router that I bought so that I can use the Ipad as a tv around the house and also to control my Directv box (remote, dvr, etc.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
How about one of those protective screen films?
Ipad screens are made of glass and incredibly hard to scratch. I wouldn't bother with a protective screen (plus they detract from the experience).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Ipad screens are made of glass and incredibly hard to scratch. I wouldn't bother with a protective screen (plus they detract from the experience).
I'm not expert on ipads so was just throwing this out in the form of a question. These films however are quite commonly used on iphones and other smart phones and do not detract at all from the experience.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #24

Sorry I did not mean to sound snarky in my reply above. In my experience, the protective screens are made from plastic and scratch easily and collect dirt which isn't an issue with glass.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
Administrator

Has anyone bought a stylus? A niece in the UK has one and loves it, but she is the only one I know that uses one.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Has anyone bought a stylus? A niece in the UK has one and loves it, but she is the only one I know that uses one.
I bought a stylus a year ago when I first bought my iPad. Initially I thought I would need it to tap on small links. With practice, the precision of my finger movements has improved and now I hardly ever use the stylus.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I bought a stylus a year ago when I first bought my iPad. Initially I thought I would need it to tap on small links. With practice, the precision of my finger movements has improved and now I hardly ever use the stylus.
Thanks. This is how I'm leaning as well. My niece got the stylus at the same time as the iPad but I have now had my iPad several weeks and become much more proficient with my fingers than I expected.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve had an iPad for around six months and agree with the posters who are suggesting you don’t really need anything to enjoy the device. None the less, you might want to visit Amazon. Put in iPad accessories (make sure you specify in the “search” box "computers." When the items come up click on the upper right hand option to bring up the accessories rated highest by consumers. Lots of interesting stuff out there, already tested by a bazillion people!

Enjoy,

Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Sorry I did not mean to sound snarky in my reply above. In my experience, the protective screens are made from plastic and scratch easily and collect dirt which isn't an issue with glass.
No worry, you did not come across as snarky at all. I appreciate the input, so if and when I buy an ipad for myself, I'll avoid the protective film, unless Apple moves away from the glass screen.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

A large part of my job is visiting multiple retail locations of a popular technology company, and inspecting the fixtures and displays. On display are many Apple and various brands of android tablets. I have noticed that the iPad screens are by far the most easily scratched. Once you wipe them down with a cleaning cloth to remove all the smudges and fingerprints, the Samsung android tablet screens usually look flawless. The iPad screens always have many small, and sometimes some large scratches.

I would highly recommend the film screen protectors, especially if you plan to resell the iPad in a couple years and upgrade to a newer version. I prefer an android tablet, and use a Samsung without a screen protector, but my wife has had two iPads and has had a screen protector on at all times. It does not affect the experience in any way, once it's on.
RockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Really? Scratches in glass? Those iPads must be owned by people wearing huge rings or something. My fingertips just can't seem to scratch glass (and the cover is over the screen when I am not using it).

I don't see ANY scratches whatsoever in my iPad, after a year. Maybe that is due to my aging vision. However I do see all the smudges and fingermarks, which require cleaning it off quite a bit.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Really? Scratches in glass? Those iPads must be owned by people wearing huge rings or something. My fingertips just can't seem to scratch glass (and the cover is over the screen when I am not using it).

I don't see ANY scratches whatsoever in my iPad, after a year. Maybe that is due to my aging vision. However I do see all the smudges and fingermarks, which require cleaning it off quite a bit.
+1
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Really. They often look a lot like the swirl marks left in the paint of vehicles.
RockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I use a stylus with my drawing apps because it gives me more control. Otherwise, I just use my fingers.

This is the stylus I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Stylus-.../dp/B005GSNLBQ
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

I use a stylus with my drawing apps because it gives me more control. Otherwise, I just use my fingers.

This is the stylus I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Stylus-.../dp/B005GSNLBQ
I should use a stylus on this non-iPhone as the screen keyboard is so small--I just texted DH that I licked the car. I'm sure I could scratch an iPad screen by tossing it in a tote bag and having keys or a pen work its way under the cover somehow.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

The iPad screen is not just glass, but Gorilla Glass which is very hard and particularly scratch resistant.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I should use a stylus on this non-iPhone as the screen keyboard is so small--I just texted DH that I licked the car. I'm sure I could scratch an iPad screen by tossing it in a tote bag and having keys or a pen work its way under the cover somehow.
..and what did your DH think about you licking the car? :smile:
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

..and what did your DH think about you licking the car? :smile:
He wanted to know where I put the grocery lust.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You really are the best wife ever, aren't you?