Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't see ANY scratches whatsoever in my iPad, after a year.
I've had my iPad since March, 2011, and it gets used every single day. It has also been on at least a dozen road trips, just tossed in my briefcase. Sometimes I use it for hours at a time. Not even the slightest scratch or nick in the glass after nearly two years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #42

I know some land surveyors that use iPads out in the field, and they get dirty, but the screens haven't been scratched.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

The accessories I use the most on my Ipad are Apple's folding cover.
I splurged and got the leather one. I did have the synthetic which got stained and wouldn't come clean.

The second one is a padded bag for it. I put the Ipad in the bag and it protects it in my cycling bad when I ride the bicycle to work.

Amazon.com: STM Jacket for iPad (dp-2139-3, Black/Teal): Electronics

The third is a cheap plastic case for the back, the glass on the front doesn't get scratched but the aluminum will.
This is the one I use.
Amazon.com: Smart Cover Partner Snap On Slim-Fit Case for Apple iPad 2 - Crystal Clear: Electronics
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is typical of what I see. I will continue to use screen protectors on my iPads.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Wow, my iPad is 20 months old, used every day - not a single scratch. Just a billion fingerprints...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #46
Administrator

Sometimes mine gets little marks like that on it too, but in my case they wash off with a little water and a soft cloth. Not even one scratch yet.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Two iPads, one almost 3 years old. The other almost 1. No scratches.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonkey View Post
This is typical of what I see. I will continue to use screen protectors on my iPads.
Is this from the retail locations you mentioned? or are these personal iPads?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

That is an ipad on display in a retail location. It has been on display only a few months, in one of my slowest stores. I would estimate that my personal tablet gets significantly more use on a daily basis than this ipad does. The pictures were taken after I cleaned the screen. Those are scratches, not smudges.

Yes, they are glass, and yes, they can be scratched.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonkey View Post
That is an ipad on display in a retail location. It has been on display only a few months, in one of my slowest stores. I would estimate that my personal tablet gets significantly more use on a daily basis than this ipad does. The pictures were taken after I cleaned the screen. Those are scratches, not smudges.

Yes, they are glass, and yes, they can be scratched.
With all due respect, a demo floor model is probably not representative of what an individual user can expect. Unfortunately, lots of people abuse floor models of almost everything. No proof, but I'd be willling to bet the occasional "customer" tries to scratch the screen just to see what happens...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
With all due respect, a demo floor model is probably not representative of what an individual user can expect. Unfortunately, lots of people abuse floor models of almost everything. No proof, but I'd be willling to bet the occasional "customer" tries to scratch the screen just to see what happens...
This. People with diamond rings are the bane of Apple stores. iPads, and occasional graffiti on the glass structural elements.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I never got scratches on my original iPad and don't see any on my iPad 3. I hate screen protectors. They spoil the look of the Retina screen.