Join Early Retirement Today

Buying from Ebay
Old 11-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buying from Ebay

The Amazon thread reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask. I often see things I'd like to buy on Ebay, but my two ventures into online auction buying ended when, after following an item for days, I was outbid at the last second. It frustrated me to the point that I never went back.

I have read of software that people use to gain such advantage (bids for you, ups your bid at the very last second). Has anyone used such software? What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
gone traveling

It’s sniping software, I’ve never used it but I’ve sniped plenty of auctions manually. I buy tons of stuff on eBay, always at discounted prices, Levi’s can be had for $20 or less, I like to buy gold at under market pricing for an instant gain.

There are lots of deals with buy it now, don’t have to wait for the auction to end, Some buy it now sellers will accept offers also

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I find that 90+% of everything (that I am interested in) for sale on eBay has a "buy it now" price.

I understand your frustration with sniping software. It is/was why most auctions disappeared.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've hit "Buy It Now" on occasion, but the asking price is usually too high - that's why I'm trying to bid.

How is it possible to "snipe manually" when other buyers are using software?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That sounds awesome. Isn't there a shipping cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I like to buy gold at under market pricing for an instant gain.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That sounds awesome. Isn't there a shipping cost?

Some sellers charge but most of the large online dealers that sell on eBay do not. do a search for eBay bucks and enroll in it. They give you 2% cash back on purchases and usually run 10% deals a few times a month, on a $1280 gold purchase you get $100 cash back, caps out at $100, and it drops the price to $1180, I can take it straight to my local dealer and flip it for $1250
Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

In order to snipe without software you need to bid at the end of the auction .Another way to get goods at a great price is to look for seller's with minimal feedback . Most people steer clear of these seller's but with paypal 's guarantee I find it safe to do .I sold on ebay for years and people would get into bidding was over stupid items and way overpay .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
gone traveling

I sold on eBay for a long time too and was able to get top dollar for a lot of stuff, you wouldn’t believe some of these buyers bidding so high. I view it as fishing, throw a bunch of lines in the water and wait for the big one to bite
Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm also in the BIN camp. I've been on eBay for over 10 years. Very seldom do I actually participate in an auction-style listing. Add to that, if there is a "Make Offer" button, I feel it is my obligation to offer less.

Not every item on eBay has enough interest for a sniper to be interested.

I look in the left hand column of the search page and look at "Sold Listings". It will tell you what similar items that actually were sold went for. It should give you an idea of where to set your "maximum" bid.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
... How is it possible to "snipe manually" when other buyers are using software?
It's actually quite easy. A few minutes before the end of the auction, open a browser window to the auction and bid the maximum price you're willing to pay. The next screen will be a screen where you confirm your bid. Don't do that yet.

Open a second browser window to watch the auction, specifically the time remaining as it counts down. At about 8 seconds before the end of the auction (assuming you have not already been outbid) switch to your bid confirmation window and complete your bid. By the time your bid shows up on the auction screen there will not be time for anyone to react to it. But understand, too, that you may well not be the only sniper so do not be surprised if another sniper outbids you. It also may be the case that an earlier bidder has actually bid higher than you did, in which case eBay will automatically raise his bid to beat you.

The key to this is in bidding a price that truly is the highest price you're willing to pay. Then if you get outbid, you have no regrets. It also may happen that all other bids are below yours, in which case, the eBay software will enter a bid for you that is enough to win the auction but not at your maximum. Then you're a really happy guy or gal.

Whew! This takes a lot of writing. I have used jBidwatcher for years. It works great and its free: https://www.jbidwatcher.com/ With it I don't have to worry about being at my computer when the auction ends. I just set up my bid earlier in the day and let jBidwatcher do the waiting. Even if I am at my computer I don't manually snipe. I just set up jBidwatcher and wait for the auction to conclude. If you have good luck with it, send the author a few bucks once in a while.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks - you write great instructions. I will definitely try this and I bet others will, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
It's actually quite easy. A few minutes before the end of the auction, open a browser window to the auction and bid the maximum price you're willing to pay. The next screen will be a screen where you confirm your bid. Don't do that yet.

Open a second browser window to watch the auction, specifically the time remaining as it counts down. At about 8 seconds before the end of the auction (assuming you have not already been outbid) switch to your bid confirmation window and complete your bid. By the time your bid shows up on the auction screen there will not be time for anyone to react to it. But understand, too, that you may well not be the only sniper so do not be surprised if another sniper outbids you. It also may be the case that an earlier bidder has actually bid higher than you did, in which case eBay will automatically raise his bid to beat you.

The key to this is in bidding a price that truly is the highest price you're willing to pay. Then if you get outbid, you have no regrets. It also may happen that all other bids are below yours, in which case, the eBay software will enter a bid for you that is enough to win the auction but not at your maximum. Then you're a really happy guy or gal.

Whew! This takes a lot of writing. I have used jBidwatcher for years. It works great and its free: https://www.jbidwatcher.com/ With it I don't have to worry about being at my computer when the auction ends. I just set up my bid earlier in the day and let jBidwatcher do the waiting. Even if I am at my computer I don't manually snipe. I just set up jBidwatcher and wait for the auction to conclude. If you have good luck with it, send the author a few bucks once in a while.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #12

Sniping is the term as stated by previous posters. Old Shooter showed how it can be done manually, just enter your bid with a few seconds left. But the reality is just put in your highest amount you would pay initially and let the auction run out. Even if a sniper tries, if your bid is higher then the ebay system will just increase your bid automatically, up to your limit.

Example: Item has auction starting price is $10, your highest amount to pay is $20. You enter $20 bid and the ebay system shows you are highest bidder at $10. Say during the auction two more bids, for $14 and $16 come in. Your bid jumps to the next highest interval above $14 and $16. Say interval is $.25, so your bid is still highest at $16.25 for now. At end of auction a sniper bid comes in at $18, your bid is automatically upped to $18.25 and then auction closes with you as the high bidder. Even if a sniper bids $20, you will win at $20 since your bid was the first. If sniper bids above $20, you are outbid and not the auction winner.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Be careful with an item that has a min bid.... if you put in a max bid that is higher than the min you automatically have the min as your bid...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Sniping is the term as stated by previous posters. Old Shooter showed how it can be done manually, just enter your bid with a few seconds left. But the reality is just put in your highest amount you would pay initially and let the auction run out. Even if a sniper tries, if your bid is higher then the ebay system will just increase your bid automatically, up to your limit. ...
Sorry to disagree, but this is a recipe for paying too much or, worse, for losing the item unnecessarily.

The reason is people's psychology: The current top bidder may have bid exactly what you see on the screen. If you go in with a bid that tops his, he will be tempted to outbid you. He may bid many times, increasing his bid $1 each time until he finds your highest bid and tops it or he gives up. If, instead, you had not shown your cards until snipe time, it is impossible for him to do this.

Here is an example: https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/11...p2047675.l2565 where one person bid 14 times before he found the current high bidder's maximum price, entered 2 days earlier. As it happens, the auction got sniped but I think you can still see the behavior. Also notice that the sniper's ID does not appear in the bidding history except at snipe time. You will never see my ID in the bidding history until snipe time, either.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #15

If eBay wanted to it could easily eliminate sniping by extending the auction end time by, say, 5 minutes if someone bids within 5 minutes of the close.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I'm also in the BIN camp. I've been on eBay for over 10 years. Very seldom do I actually participate in an auction-style listing. Add to that, if there is a "Make Offer" button, I feel it is my obligation to offer less.
I almost exclusively shop “Buy It Now” items and I’ve had great success with “Make An Offer.” The seller can accept, decline, or make a counteroffer. I recently bought a beautiful set of vintage books at half the asking price.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #17

I have not been back to Ebay in many years after several instances same as OP. These were items I really wanted. Even after researching the fair price extensively and doing exactly what OldShooter described, I lost in every case. Not worth it. Now, when Ebay comes up in search results, I ignore it completely.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
If eBay wanted to it could easily eliminate sniping by extending the auction end time by, say, 5 minutes if someone bids within 5 minutes of the close.
Yes. It's a long-time mystery to me why they don't do this, particularly because it would increase their income. Other auction sites often do exactly what you say.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post

A great idea that will probably not happen....

As to the people getting outbid... well, if you have put in the max you were willing to pay and got outbid then you should be happy.... if you did not put in the max you were willing to pay you are the person you should be mad at.... it is not the sniper that caused you to lose, but you for not offering what you were willing to pay....

Nobody can snipe you if you bid enough.... which might be too much, but that is what an auction is about....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have seen a few news articles on fake gold being sold, good enough that even dealers buy it and then later figure out it's fake, even jeweler's have bought it and when they try to use it to make jewelry they find out it's really tungsten plated with gold.

For that reason I won't buy gold, unless I was physically at a mint that produces it.
Yes I'm a chicken...

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bidding software, ebay, online auction