Join Early Retirement Today

Buying iPhone to Use as iPod Touch
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buying iPhone to Use as iPod Touch

I'm running out of memory on my 8gb iPod touch (too much music) so my plan is to buy an iPhone 16gb, but without a phone contract.

I'll buy an iPhone instead of an iPod Touch because that will give me a camera, microphone, and GPS.

By buying a 1st gen iPhone I can save a few hundred dollars (e.g. total $85 including shipping), and the features in the newer iPhones aren't useful to me.

Alternatively, I could get an iPhone 3GS 32gb for about $200.

My understanding is that it won't be too hard to activate the iPhone even without a SIM card.

Comments?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

googling these terms came up with a lot of info:

how to use iphone without sim card as ipod

A quick skim and it seems you want the SIM card just to get started )don't need an active account), but I didn't read further - sounds like there are other options.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

IIRC, 1st gen iPhone doesn't run the latest version of iOS (and never will), which some apps require. So you will be locked out of some apps.

The later gen (4+) iPod touches have a camera, GPS, etc.

I looked into this recently for the wife who wanted an iPod touch, but found it was most price efficient to get a 3rd gen iPod touch over an iPhone to use as an iPod touch. Cost us 100 for a used 32gb one on Craigslist.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Administrator

Is this just for music? Why not get a IPod nano?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

FWIW, we just activated a refurbished iPhone 4 on Straight Talk prepaid service for our son. $15 for a microSIM and $45/month for unlimited voice, text and data. So far, so good. Straight Talk is affiliated with Tracfone.
flotsamandjetsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is this just for music? Why not get a IPod nano?
No, I use it for apps mostly.

Quote:
The later gen (4+) iPod touches have a camera, GPS, etc.
I'd forgotten that, but it looks like a 4th gen iPod touch is more expensive than an earlier iPhone.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The new iPod Touch also has FaceTalk for communicating on WiFi without a data plan.

Also Android smatphones use microSD cards for storage. My Samsung purchased for $67 can have 64 GB. Great for tunes.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
googling these terms came up with a lot of info:

how to use iphone without sim card as ipod

A quick skim and it seems you want the SIM card just to get started )don't need an active account), but I didn't read further - sounds like there are other options.

-ERD50
Right. I wouldn't have a SIM card. The other options (e.g. Hacktivation) seem a little messy (download this app, then this app, this method no longer works, etc.), so I just wanted to see if others have gone through this to avoid buying one and then being unable to activate it.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No, I use it for apps mostly.
Is the iPod touch you have big enough if it were only apps and you transferred all the music elsewhere?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Is the iPod touch you have big enough if it were only apps and you transferred all the music elsewhere?
Note that The newer phones camera is much better. For me , it's worth the xtra $
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since you mentioned you were going to use this for apps...

There was a huge upgrade from 3GS to iPhone 4 (processor and screen resolution)... the screen resolution difference is astonishing. If you have the ability to get 4 or 4S it would be worth 25% more in price just for that IMO.

Here is the difference (zoomed in to a half inch or so size section of each screen). Apps look a lot nicer and if you plan to use anything like netflix, the newer model is a must.

iPhone/iPhone3G/iPhone3GS ..................................... iPhone4/iPhone4S

EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes.

Space.jpg

That's a good idea, but I don't want to have yet another device to carry around.

Another alternative is to delete all the songs that I've rated 2 stars or less.

I have most of my gigs recorded, and organized, but that also may be an extravagance.

That improved screen looks good, I do use my iPod Touch a lot, and I'm trying to spend a little more money...
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A used iPod touch 4th gen 32GB for $175 looks like a good idea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A used iPod touch 4th gen 32GB for $175 looks like a good idea.

Amazon.com: Used and New: Apple iPod touch 32GB (4th Generation) - Black - Current Version
It does, and is a better option than the iPod nano.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Is there anything in the Android world that would work as well?

Most non-Apple devices like this have a uSD slot, and you can buy memory chips for < $1/GB (4, 8, 16, 32GB are common and go on sale regularly), and can swap out easily for different collections when you exceed the memory of that one chip.

The 'no external memory' approach with Apple is why I'm waiting for the Android tablets to mature. I don't really 'need' an iPad now, so I'll wait.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Your best bet is an ipod touch 4th gen. Best gasdget for the money. I puchase a ipod touch 8gb for $20 last black friday. It has front and back camera, gps etc. Same as iphne 4 except the phone.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote