Join Early Retirement Today

Buying shoes
Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
gone traveling

Buying shoes

I need to buy a new pair of casual shoes to knock around in , so I went shopping yesterday. It was not a fruitful experience. All I could find were hybrid brown bowling shoes or styles that looked like a cross between Pilgrim boots and football cleats. I went to three diffferent stores, and couldn't find a single pair I liked, so I stopped on the way home and dropped off my battered old Cole-Haan loafers to be resoled-again...

Is it just me, or are the new shoe styles just awful?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Crocs? Kidding!

I'm wearing Rockport sandals as we speak, from the Internet, perfect fit. I would start with one of those big shoe websites and search on "soft shoes," I've found some comfortable ones that are also okay for w*rk. Sometimes those sites have last year's styles so may be more to your liking. Let us know if you find anything.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like to use cross training shoes for casual wear. New Balance is a good brand name. Now all you have to do is find some that look like a cross between Pilgrim and day glow football. Most of the designs are visually aweful. The last time I found a model that was solid black.
Your obviously looking for a higher quality shoe. Thought I would chime in anyway.
Good luck.

Free to Canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Crocs? Kidding!

I'm wearing Rockport sandals as we speak, from the Internet, perfect fit. I would start with one of those big shoe websites and search on "soft shoes," I've found some comfortable ones that are also okay for w*rk. Sometimes those sites have last year's styles so may be more to your liking. Let us know if you find anything.
last decade's styles might be more appropriate..
I wouldn't be caught dead in Denver wearing Crocs...
Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I, like you, think the shoes that are popular today look a little "off*. I have been really impressed by zappos.com for both their selection and their return policy.

UD
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #6

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Merrel Midnight Jungle Moc's are my all-time favorite. Extremely comfortable, good for walking, waterproof and they look good enough for w*rk. My feet have never felt uncomfortable at any point while using them. I do wear them so often though that they are fairly worn out after a couple years.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
I need to buy a new pair of casual shoes to knock around in , so I went shopping yesterday. It was not a fruitful experience. All I could find were hybrid brown bowling shoes or styles that looked like a cross between Pilgrim boots and football cleats. I went to three diffferent stores, and couldn't find a single pair I liked, so I stopped on the way home and dropped off my old Cole-Haan loafers to be resoled-again...

Is it just me, or are the new shoe styles just awful?
Yes. Got resoled Bostonian(black) and G.H. Bass(brown) loafers at the Salvation Army. Their coverall selection this year sucks. Down to my last summerweight Dickies shortsleeved coveralls.

At least come winter - Carhart will be out. Not barefoot in summer but suffer through with canvas deck shoes as much as possible.

Won't be long before I pay more than $8 for a pr of shoes.

heh heh heh - good thing I've got past my frugal years of ER - spending the big bucks sometimes gives me nosebleeds.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #9

Just finished up school shopping for the kiddos and had a tough time finding nice shoes for the kids. I only buy a couple pair per kid per size so I like to get better shoes than cheaper ones that they wear every day.

I found amazon to be excellent! They have discount-level prices/clearance on some really high end shoes and often free shipping. And clearance are usually older styles so you might find one of your favorites there.

If you know the brand/style you might try your luck there. Better than driving around all over the place.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've gotten good Peter Kaiser women's shoes on ebay for very reasonable amounts.

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Yes. Got resoled Bostonian(black) and G.H. Bass(brown) loafers at the Salvation Army. Their coverall selection this year sucks. Down to my last summerweight Dickies shortsleeved coveralls.

At least come winter - Carhart will be out. Not barefoot in summer but suffer through with canvas deck shoes as much as possible.

Won't be long before I pay more than $8 for a pr of shoes.

heh heh heh - good thing I've got past my frugal years of ER - spending the big bucks sometimes gives me nosebleeds.
Try the Goodwill at Vivion and North Oak...
Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
Try the Goodwill at Vivion and North Oak...
Thanks - not that far. Will put them on my list.

heh heh heh - She claims Goodwill has better women's overalls. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #13

There's a SAS shoe store in the neighboring town, and when I was over that way for lunch last week, I stopped in and bought a pair of comfy, casual shoes. They're the SAS " 'Bout Time " in a dark brown color, lace-up, moc-style. I've been wanting to get a pair of their shoes for quite a while, and finally broke down and got them. They ain't cheap....but they're very well made......actually handmade.....in the USA.....San Antonio to be specific (San Antonio Shoe). I took a tour of their shoe factory a couple of years ago when we were down there on vacation, and saw them being made, start to finish......interesting!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a pair of sexy cowboy boots when visiting REWahoo in San Antonio. I wear them up here once in a while, to look tough.

I like Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands for buying shoes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that it's hard to find good looking shoes nowadays. A few months back I went to DSW and you would think that finding a nice pair of shoes in a store that big ought to be easy. But I couldn't bring myself to buy anything there. For the first time in my life I went to Dillards to buy shoes (usually Dillards is a bit old-fashioned for me). I found a nice pair of Rockport loafers, black, simple, everything I was looking for. And they are super comfortable!

Rockport - Men: Rockport Macelli Dress Loafer Mens
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think that these are still avilable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1395boots.JPG (140.5 KB, 1 views)
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My first vote is for the croc-like genre (I prefer "Nuthinz"). Nothing matches the comfort and ease of this type of shoe. I understand your reluctance to wear them in public, however. The concern for what other people think is a powerful influence on some people. I, on the other hand, have no problem wearing them around town here in Denver. (The only comments I get (rarely) are of the positive kind but I am sure there are many who... well, you know.) I will have to admit though that I wouldn't be caught in public wearing those white Sports shoes (Reebok, Nike, etc.). (Of course, I am the type that would love to wear the shoes depicted at the bottom of MasterBlaster's post.)

I have noticed that those who have j*bs that require them to be on their feet all day have no problem wearing Crocs -- nurses, surgeons, etc.

Next in line in my preference are either Børn or Rockport. (Use the links to see the many styles available in each brand.) I have several pairs (10+?) of each brand. I have sandals in both brands as well as other more "dressy" types. I even go on several mile hikes over rugged steep terrain with any and all of them without thinking before hand of what to wear. (Painful experience has proven that this is not a good idea with Croc-like shoes, however.)

I know of no other brands that I would consider at this time but constantly am on the lookout.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I bought a pair of sexy cowboy boots when visiting REWahoo in San Antonio.
Any spurs with that?

I second Rockports; quality shoe, nice looking, and comfortable.

Kohl's is where I buy most of my shoes. But then, 80% of the time I'm wearing running shoes, 19% flip-flops, and 1% other...

I own several "dressy" pairs, that should last my lifetime, since I rarely wear them. Same with suits, if I don't get too portly to wear them...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised when I bought a pair of Bite golf shoes. The most comfortable golf shoe I have ever worn. Then I bought a pair of Bite casual shoes, really comfy.

You can't go wrong with Birkenstock or Rockport, but to me the style seems a little dated.

Keep in mind if you want to spend a little more, Allen-Edmonds is a good choice......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

DH is on his feet all day, traveling to customer sites. He swears by the Ecco shoes--he's had the same pair for two years and they are still in pretty good shape. They are lace up leather loafers, which is what he prefers.
I prefer my Colombia sandals (which are sort of like Tevas) for most non-work occasions. At work we wear nice shoes into the building but go barefoot most of the day.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote