Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy all my shoes online.

When I find a pair I like and fits, I order 5 more pairs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I!

...For me, the Norstorm's Rack, Sacks Fifth Avenue, and even Ross all in one mall 5 minutes from my house are more convenient...
I hear that Nordstrom's Rack is a bit of heaven. I understand the rest of her is pretty darn nice and convenient as well.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My girlfriend bought a dozen pairs of shoes on Zappos all at once to try to find a pair of running shoes that would fit. There was nothing in the stores near us comparable to what she wanted. She returned them all except the one she wanted without any problems.

Now that my Adidas have finally given up the ghost, I'll be doing the same. I wish there were better shoe stores around to try them in person.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
My girlfriend bought a dozen pairs of shoes on Zappos all at once to try to find a pair of running shoes that would fit. There was nothing in the stores near us comparable to what she wanted. She returned them all except the one she wanted without any problems.

Now that my Adidas have finally given up the ghost, I'll be doing the same. I wish there were better shoe stores around to try them in person.
I have to think that kind of approach will kill Zappos (or any merchant) generous return policy for all of us, and force higher costs to consumers. Seems consciously unfair to me, even worse than showrooming, but the merchants will decide. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have to think that kind of approach will kill Zappos (or any merchant) generous return policy for all of us, and force higher costs to consumers. Seems consciously unfair to me, even worse than showrooming, but the merchants will decide. YMMV
Don't worry, there are plenty of us who have done that in the past and through that process, found shoes that we especially like.

Now, when I order I know exactly the model and size that I want, so I haven't returned any shoes at all in quite some time. So, Zappos is making back any money they lost on my excessive initial returns back in 2001.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #26

I purchase through Amazon. The returns are VERY simple...now for the most part, you just tape the box back up and put it on your front porch...no decal needed, the UPS guy does it for you, with no return fee. The couple of times I have had to return shoes/clothing for sizing issue, the replacement item was on my front porch the NEXT day.

To me, the convenience to going to a B&M is not even a consideration anymore.

Speaking of Amazon, if you are a Chase Freedom card holder, they are doing 5% cash back from 1 Oct through the end of December for Amazon purchases.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nah. It's built into the cost already. You're welcome.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Don't worry, there are plenty of us who have done that in the past and through that process, found shoes that we especially like.

Now, when I order I know exactly the model and size that I want, so I haven't returned any shoes at all in quite some time. So, Zappos is making back any money they lost on my excessive initial returns back in 2001.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Making a best guess and buying a pair of shoes, then returning them for the right size if they don't fit is one thing. And of course some percent returns, presumably less than 100%, is built in. Nothing wrong with that, some level of returns come with the territory even for B&M merchants.

Ordering a dozen pairs of shoes intending to keep only one pair, is something else, and I doubt that's built in for all buyers. YMMV

Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Definitely. Most customers will never return anything, I bet, and Zappos would surely factors the occasional overorders and returns into its pricing.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Definitely. Most customers will never return anything, I bet, and Zappos would surely factors the occasional overorders and returns into its pricing.
Again I was referring to RetiredGypsy's practice. Other Customers all pay for the folks who deliberately order a dozen and send back 11 pairs, not Gypsy's friend. If Gypsy's friend had to pay shipping on a dozen pairs, and return shipping on 11 pairs, would she do it without a care? Somehow I doubt it. If everyone did it, returns wouldn't be "free" for long...and shouldn't be.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, if everyone did it, then Zappos can raise its prices or charge for shipping or change its return policy. But Zappos knows everyone won't do it, though, so has no doubt factored in the cost of the expected returns (and knows there is inertia in its other customers who won't bother to return anything--Goodwill etc. stores are full of original products with the price rags still on them). The company obviously knows what works, and now RG's girlfriend knows what size fits her and may be more likely to order again. I probably would not do what RetiredGypsy's girlfriend did with Zappos because of my inertia factor re mail order returns, but I have very infrequently ordered multiple things with free shipping from Nordstroms online and physically returned several of them to a nearby store. I don't feel like it's hurt that store. I don't feel guilty about it.

I don't think I've ever ordered from Zappos so it's safe from me .