Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Buying software off of Craigslist
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Buying software off of Craigslist

Anyone have any experience buying software off of Craigslist? We have an old copy of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat). An upgrade would cost around $1500 the last time we checked. SInce we are FIRE, we just pland on using it at home so spending that much on a software package doesn't sit very well. We noticed last night that Craigslist has software packages listed at reasonable prices so we were wondering what the downside would be and if we could really use it.

Thanks!
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
Anyone have any experience buying software off of Craigslist? We have an old copy of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat). An upgrade would cost around $1500 the last time we checked. SInce we are FIRE, we just pland on using it at home so spending that much on a software package doesn't sit very well. We noticed last night that Craigslist has software packages listed at reasonable prices so we were wondering what the downside would be and if we could really use it.

Thanks!
The downside is if the serial number is already registered the SW may not install onto your system. Technically, the seller does not have the right to sell the license and the SW producer can impede you from using it.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought Nero software for burning CDs for $12.99 in the year 2000. Here's an email I sent to the seller after I installed it.
Hi,

I received the CD. The item description said:

'You are bidding on the Nero 7 Ultra Edition CD. This is a new CD with a legit product key, so you can receive updates in the software.'

However, when I enter the serial number, 1C82803M19E5MAAX400934AA9M85, on the nero.com web site, I get the message: 'The serial number you have entered is unauthorized. Unfortunately, many unauthorized resellers have sold pirated serial numbers to customers. Nero is working hard to stop Piracy.'

Perhaps this was a legitimate misunderstanding. I am giving you a chance to respond to this, and perhaps give me a partial or full refund, before I leave negative feedback and report the transaction to Ebay and Nero.

The seller gave me a full refund.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Adobe is very tough on licensing security, and there are a lot of stories out there about the difficulties that legitimate purchasers have experienced trying to activate software they purchased as new through authorized vendors. For discounted versions their standards are even more demanding.

Alternatives include that you can buy upgrades to newer versions of much of their stuff at reduced prices. Check out their website to see if that works for you. If it's just Photoshop you're using, consider buying Photoshop elements which has all the tools that most non-professionals want for photo-editing.

If someone in the family is a student or educator you can buy at a much reduced price. Be warned that the student has to send a copy of their student ID to a third party verification service, and they have high standards on what qualifies as a qualified educational institution.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I bought a $50 copy of Adobe CS years ago on eBay and it installed without incident -- turned out to be some sort of Czech gray market version but works fine. I don't know if Adobe requires registration these days. My daughter may buy a teacher version of the latest for use over here (she uses our PCs fairly frequently).
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Go Linux.

There are freely available equivalents to Photoshop and Acrobat. There are even some Windows substitutes, but I do not know much about them.

Do not go pirate. To much trouble.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #7

Or, check out Serif software. The company is based in England, but offers trial versions of its photo editing and desktop publishing software. The trial software works in almost all respects -- that is certain advanced functions are not available. The software is as powerful and fully documented as what Adobe produces.

Cost is about 70% of what Photoshop or Microsoft Publisher costs.

-- Rita
Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Go Linux.

There are freely available equivalents to Photoshop and Acrobat. There are even some Windows substitutes, but I do not know much about them.

Do not go pirate. To much trouble.
Right, you don't need to go Linux to go open source (free) for this:

GIMP - Downloads

GIMP - Graphic Image Manipulation Program, installs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Good enough for what I do, and lots of additional plug ins are available.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Right, you don't need to go Linux to go open source (free) for this:

GIMP - Downloads

GIMP - Graphic Image Manipulation Program, installs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Good enough for what I do, and lots of additional plug ins are available.

-ERD50
GIMP is powerful but just isn't quite as easy to use as Photoshop. Bottom line though is, it is free and the tools are there if you look for them.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #10

There may be good reason to pay the hefty freight for established and well-supported software. While I'm currently using Photoshop Elements, a limitation is that it will only work on 8-bit files while the full Photoshop will work on 16-bit files. I can see the difference but admittedly the casual user probably won't care. Sometime in the next 6 months or so I'll probably spring for the full Photoshop.

Another reason is the abundance of books on mainstream software. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of books on both Elements and Photoshop. I found that a compelling reason to buy the mainstream software.

YMMV.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Another reason is the abundance of books on mainstream software. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of books on both Elements and Photoshop. I found that a compelling reason to buy the mainstream software.

YMMV.
Just an FYI, anyone who elects the free, open source GIMP as an editor has a good online book called Grokking the GIMP available free. The book is also a great introduction to photo editing for people who use other programs but want to understand layers, masks, channels, etc.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

How does GIMP compare with Paintshop Pro?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I really liked Paintshop Pro.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
How does GIMP compare with Paintshop Pro?
I haven't used PSP in years but a quick Google disclosed this: GIMP vs Paint Shop Pro Deathmatch. And the followup: part 2.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #15

No, and I would not do it. Instead I would buy new software from known retail stores or directly online from the actual software company.

I had a very bad virus experience 2 years ago getting software online (from cnet.com, which I never went back to).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
Anyone have any experience buying software off of Craigslist?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you can legitimately claim it (or don't mind lying, but you will need a student id), the educational version is a HUGE savings over the retail price - something like 80% off. I bought Photoshop CS for my highschool-aged daughter for less than $200.

Perhaps one of your kids or grandkids would like you to buy a copy for them to use on your computer when they visit?

BTW: I would never buy software from craigslist or ebay - big chance it is pirated (and worthless), or contains viruses.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote