Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

By installation, I mean the whole business of getting the machines into the house, through the hallway/kitchen to the laundry, establishing it is the right machine and isn't scratched up, dealing with the delivery service and so on. We had a lot of issues when we bought our dishwasher. When unpacked, it had a big scratch on the door, but instead of taking it away, they just left it there in the middle of our kitchen floor until a replacement delivery could be scheduled. It hulked there in the middle of the floor for over a week. The delivery service was contracted separately from the appliance sale, and the woman at the delivery service was a rude horror. The delivery guys were sort of "Oh well, what can you do." We did not know what to do. I want to avoid this kind of situation if I can.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
By installation, I mean the whole business of getting the machines into the house, through the hallway/kitchen to the laundry, establishing it is the right machine and isn't scratched up, dealing with the delivery service and so on. We had a lot of issues when we bought our dishwasher. When unpacked, it had a big scratch on the door, but instead of taking it away, they just left it there in the middle of our kitchen floor until a replacement delivery could be scheduled. It hulked there in the middle of the floor for over a week. The delivery service was contracted separately from the appliance sale, and the woman at the delivery service was a rude horror. The delivery guys were sort of "Oh well, what can you do." We did not know what to do. I want to avoid this kind of situation if I can.
I don't think anyone here can help you avoiding those kind of issues.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:02 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
And, how should we prepare for the awful moment when the in-a-hurry, barely-or-non-English-speaking installers arrive?
What have others done?

I have installation advice - inspect your new washer and dryer in the truck before they unhook and remove your old ones.

When I had mine installed they removed the old ones THEN told me that there was a dent (oops, we're so sorry) in the new washer. They presented me with a calling card with a number to call, right then and there, to get money off. if I didn't agree they said it would be at least a week to get a replacement.

It really ticked me off. I felt like I was over a barrel. The dent was on the side toward the back but still. It was so rehearsed it made me feel like they intentionally brought me a scratch and dent from the store.

I agreed to take money off and accept the washer and have never laid eyes on the dent because of where it's located but it left me feeling like they duped me.

So that's my advice - inspect your merchandise first.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Along with the many helpful posts, I received this PM from an easily-boggled member:

"For a systems engineer, you seem adverse [sic] to acquiring knowledge.
To not know who Speed Queen is boggles my mind.
To be paranoid about aspects that can be made easy by dealing with a "long time local retailer" boggles my mind."
Old 11-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I have installation advice - inspect your new washer and dryer in the truck before they unhook and remove your old ones.
It's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
When I had mine installed they removed the old ones THEN told me that there was a dent (oops, we're so sorry) in the new washer. They presented me with a calling card with a number to call, right then and there, to get money off. if I didn't agree they said it would be at least a week to get a replacement.

It really ticked me off. I felt like I was over a barrel. The dent was on the side toward the back but still. It was so rehearsed it made me feel like they intentionally brought me a scratch and dent from the store.
It does sound that way, doesn't it.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn’t get a front load washer again. On ours, dimes and pennys drop down between the washer drum and gasket and somehow get lodged in the pump. I’ve had to take the washer apart several times to remove change. This never happened on our old top load washer.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...that shouldn't even be possible. But clearly it is.

Clearing all pockets before washing avoids problems...Mr. A. likes to stuff tissues in his pockets, and although it doesn't bother the washer, there's nothing like removing tiny scraps of shredded tissue from dried clothing, the dryer interior, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
dimes and pennys drop down between the washer drum and gasket r.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmm...that shouldn't even be possible. But clearly it is.

Clearing all pockets before washing avoids problems...Mr. A. likes to stuff tissues in his pockets, and although it doesn't bother the washer, there's nothing like removing tiny scraps of shredded tissue from dried clothing, the dryer interior, and so on.

I’ve become a lot better at clearing my pockets since having to take the washer apart 4 or 5 times. It hasn’t happened in a while. I have Mr. A’s tissue problem sometimes also.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Along with the many helpful posts, I received this PM from an easily-boggled member:

To be paranoid about aspects that can be made easy by dealing with a "long time local retailer" boggles my mind."
Well at least they sent it as a PM.... I've also found in my smaller size town that "long time local retailers" can be very expensive and complacent about customer service because they wave the "home town" store banner.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I did some research a few months back when I thought I’d be buying a new washer, and concluded our next one would be a Speed Queen.

However, I was able to fix our 26 year old Whirlpool for less than $20 (agitator dogs). It failed a few years earlier and that fix cost less than $10 (agitator coupling). I am not knowledgeable about washers, I just searched online and found YouTube videos on how to replace the parts - easy peasy.

The applicance parts guy I talked to said if I took care of our old Whirlpool and didn’t overload it, it could last another 25 years...fingers crossed. The only new washer I found that was as well built as our old Whirlpool was the Speed Queen.

Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

I thought PM meant "Private Message"

No it was not me
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

No it was not me
It is private no names used!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
My grandpappy said
Quote:
Never write anything about anyone unless you are willing to let everyone read everything you wrote.
The only words we can control in life are those we refrain from speaking - or, in this case, writing.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Just think, your grandpappy lived before internet, Facebook and worst of all Twitter, he was a wise man..
Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Hey, if someone's gonna chide me for the sin of bogglery, I want to share, in case anyone else has ever committed the same sins. Our naughty behavior must be stopped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It is private no names used!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Our hometown appliance dealer is really terrific, and will beat or match competitors' prices. They are great at advising on which appliance to buy, too, and they are great with complaints and issues. Everybody here thinks very highly of the family that runs the store and they have been in business for many, many years.

So, where did I buy my appliances when I moved? Sears online. I should have gone to that hometown appliance dealer's store, to give them my business instead. Just didn't think of it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

There is a "home town store" about 15 miles from us. We bought our replacement ovens there, and had good service. But a few years later, when we need to replace a refrigerator, either the good-service guys had aged out, or something else had changed. They weren't helpful at all, didn't seem interested in our business. ::We went to Sears.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FWIW, I had an insurance company once who required all customers to have SS braided hoses on their washing machines. They, at least, thought they were worth it. I think they are somewhere around $15.

I swear, no matter how obscure the subject is, you'll find an article about it on the 'net:

https://www.thespruce.com/comparing-...-hoses-2718662

(As an aside, unless that PM was from a friend who was pulling your leg, I'm very disappointed to find that we have such trolls here in our little neighborhood.)
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

There've been several cautionary tales on the forum about washer hoses that sprang leaks. It does seem like a good idea to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
FWIW, I had an insurance company once who required all customers to have SS braided hoses on their washing machines. They, at least, thought they were worth it. I think they are somewhere around $15.

I swear, no matter how obscure the subject is, you'll find an article about it on the 'net:

https://www.thespruce.com/comparing-...-hoses-2718662

(As an aside, unless that PM was from a friend who was pulling your leg, I'm very disappointed to find that we have such trolls here in our little neighborhood.)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I wouldn’t get a front load washer again. On ours, dimes and pennys drop down between the washer drum and gasket and somehow get lodged in the pump. I’ve had to take the washer apart several times to remove change. This never happened on our old top load washer.
The above issue seems to be a common complaint for many front-loaders.

It was yet another reason I went with a high-efficiency, top-loader w/o agitator when I replaced our older, traditional, with central agitator, top-loading washer in 2010.
(LG HE top-loader, stainless tub, nothing's broken yet.)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliance purchase, avoiding rip-offs, washer dryer set