Buying XP

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
Since we have a rash of software questions, here's mine:

My daughter built a desktop machine for a HS class, and everyone installed Linux (because it is free). While I think it is cool to run an OS that isn't part of the MSFT "borg," she now wants to run XP so she can use "regular" software.

So, is there a cheap, legal way to get it? I'd like a real set of disks with a legal ID number, etc.

Also--what's the smart way to get a legal copy of MS Office?

It just seems like there must be a better way than walking into Best Buy and plunking down $200 for XP and $400 for MS Office 2003, especially when we can buy a computer with that software already on it for less than that.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

As for Office, take a look at OpenOffice.org.

IIRC, there is a discount rate for students available on Office.

I had to do the same thing when my daughter returned to college in August - the school wouldn't let her connect to their network with 98SE since MS stopped supporting it. So I went out and plunked down $100 for XP.

I have seen some very cheap used computers on ebay that claim to come with a legit license for XP. I'm planning to build a PVR (a homemade TIVO) and will probably give something like that a try. But since you already have the PC, you're probably stuck paying the hundred bucks for XP (you should be able to find an old copy of 98 somewhere so you can buy the upgrade ;)).

Back
Top Bottom