Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sorry, but that model looks creepy! (and it's not the hair color)
Am I the only one here who thinks Ms McMenamy would look better ten pounds heavier? She is so bony! to me she doesn't look very healthy in that photo.
Quote:
I let mine go a long while back. I have grey to white bangs, and grey streaks in otherwise blonde to dark brown hair. It's a mess!

But occasionally I get compliments on how "cool" my hair looks.

Audrey
My mom got a gray streak over the top while the rest of her hair was still dark. By the time she was in her 70's, her hair had turned completely silver and it's just beautiful. I always tell her I hope mine turns a pretty color like hers. But even if it doesn't, I'm not going to dye it. I don't know how hair color would affect the texture or if it would change how it responds to being heat-straightened. My guess (based on how it reacted to being permed) is that I wouldn't like the results. Besides, I never want to go back to paying someone else to do my hair. Why, adding the cost of a regular hairdresser appointment to my budget might mean I'd have to put off my ER date!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #22

Same model, different lighting conditions. She's still a little freaky looking, but from looking at other things she has done in past, this look is very conservative for her. Anyway, I like the hair color as it appears in this lighting.

She is a little on the thin side, but she's a model and that's just what they look like. And I like skinny women, so I'm prejudiced toward the look.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #23

I notice that the striking gray hair that many like is almost uniformly a light silver color. It doesn't have the dark hair mixed in that makes hair look gray.

A few months ago I quit coloring my hair mostly to see how it looks. I cut it very short when I did and my just growing it out. In about another month I will cut off all the color. I note that so far I can see that while I have a few silver patches the middle and back are all that dark gray look. I suspect I will be going back to coloring once I satisfy my curiousity.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be delighted with whatever color it is before it all falls out...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd be delighted with whatever color it is before it all falls out...
I resemble that remark.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #26

I think gray hair can be striking on both men and women, especially if it is a white or silvery gray and is cut well. I think the model in question needs to cut those excessively long locks and put on some different makeup, maybe wear something colorful near her face (a scarf, beaded necklace, etc.). Of course, I am sitting here typing looking for all the world like something the cat dragged in so I am a great one to talk For now, I will continue to use some highlights on my very straight mediium brown hair. It covers the couple of gray strands that have cropped up in the last year or two.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #27
gone traveling

And then we have a "two tone", such as Stacy London, a model for Pantene (among other things she's done) who's "grey streak" arrived at the grand old age of eleven (currently age 41):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stacylondon.jpg (221.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

....and Bonnie Raitt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonnie Raitt.jpg (17.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #29

I'm just waiting for Captain Stubing's hairstyle to be in fashion. Then I'll really be a stylin' dude...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I had gray hair in high school. More gray than black by the end of college. It used to be a conversation piece but I have grown into it now
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks Ms McMenamy would look better ten pounds heavier? She is so bony! to me she doesn't look very healthy in that photo.
Yep....she needs to eat a pork chop.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Same model, different lighting conditions. She's still a little freaky looking, but from looking at other things she has done in past, this look is very conservative for her. Anyway, I like the hair color as it appears in this lighting.
(snip photo)
She is a little on the thin side, but she's a model and that's just what they look like. And I like skinny women, so I'm prejudiced toward the look.
Although I agree she does not look quite so sickly in your photo as in the one linked at the top of the thread, IMO, she's still way too thin. I looked her up in Wikipedia. If the info there is accurate, she's 5'10" tall and wears a size 4. That's not "a little on the thin side", it's emaciated. As a rail-thin college student, I wore a size 10 at five-foot-seven and 120 lbs. Ms McMenamy is three inches taller and three sizes smaller. I appeal to the doctors here at E-Ris she a healthy weight or is she too skinny?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

And a 22-year-old Ringo Starr (august 1962)
Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #34

I know two people (who are brothers) with a grey spot (the size of a quarter) - kind of like Stacy London.

I have tons of grey hair, but they are concentrated on the front and side only (probably 95% grey), and the back side is still about 98% dark brown. Strage, I know. I use a hair coloring treatment that fades in color (not the permanent type) and I only apply it on the top and the side of my head/hair. In a few weeks, the color starts to fade and the color changes to a lighter brown from dark brown. I used to use permanent color but with this fading kind, I can go longer without recoloring, plus it reminds me of how my hair was before starting to go grey. (My front and side hair was always lighter in color than the rest of my hair.)
Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yep....she needs to eat a pork chop.
Are you sure she's not Jewish? I suppose a double cheeseburger could work in any event. Unless she's a Hindu, in which case..... oh, never mind.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Are you sure she's not Jewish? I suppose a double cheeseburger could work in any event. Unless she's a Hindu, in which case..... oh, never mind.

Well, whatever she is, I reckon I could fatten her up with some fried potatoes, beans and cornbread.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #37

I'm not sure I caught on when it was discussed previously, but is this an appropriate time to suggest that Ms McMenamy should perhaps indulge in a little bacon?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Although I agree she does not look quite so sickly in your photo as in the one linked at the top of the thread, IMO, she's still way too thin. I looked her up in Wikipedia. If the info there is accurate, she's 5'10" tall and wears a size 4. That's not "a little on the thin side", it's emaciated. As a rail-thin college student, I wore a size 10 at five-foot-seven and 120 lbs. Ms McMenamy is three inches taller and three sizes smaller. I appeal to the doctors here at E-Ris she a healthy weight or is she too skinny?
She could use some hips, but other than that she looks fine to me.