Bye for now

Sorry to see a fellow UK grad go, but hell, I didn't start thinking about retirement until I was 45 or 50 and then it consumed my thoughts. There's were lots better things to do than constantly think about money before then.

riskaverse said:
Sorry to see a fellow UK grad go, but hell, I didn't start thinking about retirement until I was 45 or 50 and then it consumed my thoughts.  There's were lots better things to do than constantly think about money before then.     

Yep, for me personally, I would have been bored out of my skull with the subjects that are discussed on this board prior to age 50. :LOL:

Wildcat:  If you're still out there, I hope that you'll concentrate on your career, family, etc. etc., and re-visit the thought of early retirement,
many years in the future.

Now go out there and make us proud. ;)

Best of Luck,

Jarhead

cube_rat said:
Wildcat- I wish you the absolute best of luck with whatever you do!!! I'll miss you around here. Please come by and post or PM me to say hi.

Yes, cube rats are going to multiply and over run the place without a cat to keep things in check.

BigMoneyJim said:
See ya, WC, but you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to complain about the [liberals,conservatives] and pick a poster or two that ruin your day and gripe that there is [too much,not enough] moderator intervention. Then a discouraging word about the purpose of the forum as a whole, then stomp off. (Hey, maybe a form letter for leaving would be a good project...)

Back on-topic, yeah, detailed retirement planning is a bit silly for those of us 15-25 years or more from retiring. LYBM and asset allocation are about all we can do for now. I keep looking for the secret 55-and-older board where the posters laugh at our saying things like "I'll never have kids, I'll always live in a one-bedroom hovel and drive 10-year-old cars."

Also reading this stuff can be somewhat discouraging. I have more saved than most of my peers, but after reading "I have $2mil and am worried..." for the 3rd time in a week I start feeling poor sometimes. On the other hand, reading about these people's time-unlimited travels gives me something to look forward to.

Anyway, go live life, and hopefully this place will still be around later.

This form letter proposal is funny. Seeing how I just responded to the same post 2 times, maybe I need to sign off and get a life, too. :)

Oh, yeah, I do drive an 11-year-old car. I have no kids and no wife. The exciting life/dating pool of the engineering world likely will ensure that I will have no wife and kids unless I go the Russian mail order bride route, so I keep playing FI like so much background Muzak.

Good luck, and do check it. Once a month would be nice; lemme see, that would be twelve times annually. Well, you could take a four percent withdrawal and only check in 11.952 times. :)

BigMoneyJim said:
I keep looking for the secret 55-and-older board where the posters laugh at our saying things like "I'll never have kids, I'll always live in a one-bedroom hovel and drive 10-year-old cars."
Why, BMJ, you're an admin, I thought you knew that it's 45-and-over...

... uh, never mind, forget I said that-- maybe it's time you had a "quiet conversation" of your own with Dory?

Wildcat,

I agree with Martha, I hate it when people just up and disappear. Don't be discouraged about some of the $ figures that are thrown around here. I am 53 and retiring 6/2 and I don't have anywhere close to $1 million. Money definitely helps, but it is not everything. I will have a dependable pensionl

I wish you the best of luck with everything and go have your great adventures! That is what life is about. Enjoy yourself and I am sure that you will do fine. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

Stop back in from time to time, just not too often, so that you can have a good time.

Dreamer

Nords said:
Why, BMJ, you're an admin, I thought you knew that it's 45-and-over...

... uh, never mind, forget I said that-- maybe it's time you had a "quiet conversation" of your own with Dory?

dory36 professes ignorance about the database side of this forum, but I believe he's just leading me on and is doing all sorts of secret things I'm not noticing. (BTW, I wasn't paranoid until he started plotting against me.) He certainly picked up PHP with zest. (Evidence Firecalc V2.)

WildCat-

Sorry to see you go, but totally appreciate your sentiments. It can be very consuming thinking of the possibilities of independence while running in this rat race.

When my DH and I married almost 25 years ago :eek: we made a pact to always make room for travel in our lives/budget - no matter what. We have pretty much done that every year - even if we had to CHARGE :eek: some of our expenes (No wet noodles, please! :D ) One year when the kids were little, we ended up in a cheesy timeshare trade (normally our trades are really good) in a ski resort in Feb. I don't ski. However - it was AWAY from home and the day to day grind. Always does the mind good to get away. On the othe hand, I always enjoy getting back home, too.

While you are on your path to FI, have fun! The other will come along when you aren't paying attention! Believe me, we never thought we'd make it to where we are today! We were just determined on our path, and it ended up here.

I think you have your head on straight and will do GREAT!!! :D :D :D

A note to Buns of Veal - my sister is an engineer, married an engineer - married w/kids (great with money. too!!! :D ). There ARE women out there that like smart men. Go to continiuing ed classes - or better yet, teach a cont. ed class. Take a class in something fun like bartending or cooking, etc. Join a local singles group, go to a local pub that has those trivia contests - great way to meet people! Ok, off my band box. Just don't give up please.

WC, Good luck to you in all your future endeavors.

Follow your heart .........

Jane

Back
Top Bottom