Join Early Retirement Today

Bye for now
Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bye for now

WC is signing off for a while. No, I am not quitting because of some disagreement with another member. Everyone has always been helpful and this has been a great source of information. A couple thoughts have popped into my head over the past few weeks and in some ways I have realized I need to spend more time focusing on what is in front of me now rather than just focusing on a goal that may or may not happen 20 years down the road.

To me, just focusing on ER puts me in the wrong frame of mind. Just focusing on the dollar amount on my paycheck and how much closer each paycheck puts me relative to my ER plans is no way to live a life. It's weird but I feel I am in a decent financial position for my age relative to the average person. However, at times, I would rather have experienced some of the things they have in life. I would rather hear their stories about how they managed to backpack through Europe on a low budget rather than how I managed to make 25% on my latest stock selection. I imagine you could guess which one sounds more interesting and balanced coming out of a 27 yr old's mouth. I guess I have kind of changed my thinking and I would rather have ER happen but without the, what seems to be, quarterly planning. I will continue to save, LBYM, read financial publications (because I enjoy it) and invest wisely but from this point forward I will definitely make more time to do the other things I enjoy in life and focus on what I can do to make my life better aside from making the almighty buck.

I will check in if I have something interesting to share or if I run across something that may be of interest to the ER world but I doubt it. You all have it pretty much covered and I certainly will leave feeling I have the tools to make it happen. Good luck to those aspiring ERs and best wishes to those who have made it happen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Bye for now
Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #2

Wildcat- I wish you the absolute best of luck with whatever you do!!! I'll miss you around here. Please come by and post or PM me to say hi.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WC,

Check out the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ Lots of stuff on backpacking around the world.

Enjoy, amigo. Write sometimes.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Classy exit, Wildcat. Check back once in a while.

Gotta have balance. The only surfing discussion board I'm on is the one I sit upon in the lineup...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #5

Good luck WC Hope to see you around....
Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

WC, good on ya! Don't be a total stranger and check back in with us once in a while.

Oh yeah, you don't want to miss the annual picnic, so watch your inbox for an invitation!

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 AM   #7

Thats a good post Wildcat.

I personally focus in more on the FI aspects of the board than i do the RE.* * I think my regular participation here just subtlely encourages me to make those small (but big) decisions that puts me more on a path to financial freedom, but not changes so drastic that i living a reduced life.* *Case and point;* the new car i finally bought ended up being a honda fit sport instead of the gas sucking, insurance hog subaru WRX.* *And i'm all the happier for it.

But i definitely agree;* if you're in a mindset where you're focusing on RE day in and day out and not living today, one needs to figure out what's causing that, and snuff it out.* *If it ends up being these boards, so be it.* Spending a third of your life just looking into the future and dreading today is no way to live.

Azanon
Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

WC

Good stuff - enjoy. Put those hormones to good use.

I have trouble remembering that Mr Market doesn't care whether he is beening watched or not - invest, diversify, time in the market, yadda, yadda.

In the meantime - bogey on! You have the right idea.

Moi - on the other hand expect to shortly suffer withdrawal symtoms(at the old age of 62) AS THE REMODELING MONSTER SLOWLY MARCHES THRU THE HOUSE - toward the big computer with the wireless router - and watching the Market and B.S ing here may suffer a brief hiatus.

I too may be - 'forced to get a life.'

heh heh heh heh - WC - *enjoy and check back when it suits you.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spoke to my youngest Son, 28, yesterday.

His Best Friend, who has been teaching ESL in Korea for the last two years, is now off on a two year round the world back packing adventure, with a girl he met over there..

ER and back packing adventures in your youth are not Mutually exclusive.

We met a Danish back packing couple, in theirr 70's, in a small restaurant in Portugal.

Age is not an eliminator of travel on a Budget.

Hostels are an alternative cost effective way to Travel.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

And leave all this... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #11

Good luck WC, I'm sure you'll reach your goals and enjoy the journey along the way.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I understand where you are coming from. Focusing entirely on retirement is a little silly at your age. Enjoy your youth and of course do save so you will be in good shape when retirement comes for you. Good luck! Oh yes, Bulldogs gonna take some revenge out on the cats next year on the football field.*
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #13

Smart choice, WC. Life is something that happens while you're making other plans.

OTOH, I give you one week before you'll be back again.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #14

See ya, WC, but you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to complain about the [liberals,conservatives] and pick a poster or two that ruin your day and gripe that there is [too much,not enough] moderator intervention. Then a discouraging word about the purpose of the forum as a whole, then stomp off. (Hey, maybe a form letter for leaving would be a good project...)

Back on-topic, yeah, detailed retirement planning is a bit silly for those of us 15-25 years or more from retiring. LYBM and asset allocation are about all we can do for now. I keep looking for the secret 55-and-older board where the posters laugh at our saying things like "I'll never have kids, I'll always live in a one-bedroom hovel and drive 10-year-old cars."

Also reading this stuff can be somewhat discouraging. I have more saved than most of my peers, but after reading "I have $2mil and am worried..." for the 3rd time in a week I start feeling poor sometimes. On the other hand, reading about these people's time-unlimited travels gives me something to look forward to.

Anyway, go live life, and hopefully this place will still be around later.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

WC Ė Iíve enjoyed all your posts and will be sorry to see you leave.* Although Iíve only recently started posting a few things here and there, Iíve been a long time reader of the boards for at least a few years now.* As another young dreamer only a few years older than yourself, I could identify with you and your posts.*

If you get the opportunity, Iíd highly recommend taking the European backpacking adventure at least once in your 20ís.* I did it 3 times and each time came back with a changed mindset about what was really important in my life and how much I enjoyed the freedom of traveling around, meeting new people, seeing new places, and creating memories that will truly last a lifetime.* I knew at the time I was sacrificing some future $$ but you canít buy memories when youíre sitting in the rocking chair and trying to recall the good old days.*

I agree with BMJ about sometimes getting discouraged by the board.* Itís tough when others have multiple millions and are still struggling to get off the treadmill.*

Best of luck and try to check in occasionally.* Let me know if you need any encouraging photos from European backpacking trips!*

Aaron
Old 04-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #16

Wildcat, this board is what people make it.* * Perhaps we're overweight here in the ascetically frugal and intensely investment focused.* *If you stay, you can change that weighting.

Personally, the idea of getting a random high-paying job, living a frugal lifestyle, and optimizing my investments so I could exit early never appealed or even occurred to me.

I took the route of doing what I loved.* *Luckily, I loved developing software, and it paid well enough so I could exit once burn-out set in.* * I took frequent and long breaks.* *Traveled.* *Went back to school.* *Started a couple of businesses.

My point is that there are many more paths to happiness (and even FIRE) than asceticism.* * Enjoy your path, and post about it here so you attract like-minded people to the site.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Wildcat, I hope you will post whenever you have time. For one thing, I would like to know where you decide to live and work. And BTW, since you have been living in Lexington a lot more recently than I, is there still a tavern on campus named the Paddock? And do they still serve beer in frosty chilled steins?

Excellent place!

Ha
Old 04-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best of luck, dude, but don't be a stranger. It's nice to have the camaraderie of like-minded youngins. Sometimes I feel alone among all the sheeple...
Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
See ya, WC, but you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to complain about the [liberals,conservatives] and pick a poster or two that ruin your day and gripe that there is [too much,not enough] moderator intervention. Then a discouraging word about the purpose of the forum as a whole, then stomp off. (Hey, maybe a form letter for leaving would be a good project...)

Back on-topic, yeah, detailed retirement planning is a bit silly for those of us 15-25 years or more from retiring. LYBM and asset allocation are about all we can do for now. I keep looking for the secret 55-and-older board where the posters laugh at our saying things like "I'll never have kids, I'll always live in a one-bedroom hovel and drive 10-year-old cars."

Also reading this stuff can be somewhat discouraging. I have more saved than most of my peers, but after reading "I have $2mil and am worried..." for the 3rd time in a week I start feeling poor sometimes. On the other hand, reading about these people's time-unlimited travels gives me something to look forward to.

Anyway, go live life, and hopefully this place will still be around later.
Secret 55 and older board? What Laughing at us??

WC, you know I'm right there with you, BMJ and I have both been feeling what you are saying.

I had to quote you BMJ, because that line about $2 million and worried is so true! Especially when you hear it from someone younger than you! It starts to make me think there are few people who actually manage the Cut-Throat balance, and that too many either save like a miser and never enjoy it, or spend like a sailor and never gain security. (I'll probably get a couple nasty PM's for that statement! ).

Good luck, WildCat, life is for living, I'm trying to take a page out of your book myself. Pm and write back when you can....
Old 04-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #20

Not to change the subject, but thanks for the new word wab (asceticism). I didn't know that one. I like the way it sounds too, phonetically (looked it up in the dictionary).