Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
For those of us who immigrated from Asia, California/New York/Houston may be the few choices we have.
I'm not sure I get this.

"Asia" is pretty big, so maybe you're referring to a specific enclave. Around here in central Ohio, we have a health population of south asians. There is both a Hindu and a Jain temple within a few miles of my house. They seem to be happy, productive members of the community.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I'm not sure I get this.

"Asia" is pretty big, so maybe you're referring to a specific enclave. Around here in central Ohio, we have a health population of south asians. There is both a Hindu and a Jain temple within a few miles of my house. They seem to be happy, productive members of the community.
You may be correct. More explanation might cause this thread to be locked. My focus is on foods and easy access to international airport.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I enjoyed living in Silicon Valley (great work opportunities!) for 15 years, but I was happy to come home to Ohio and especially to raise my son here. Even my DW (born in Cal) likes it here.
I agree. I grew up in SoCal, but I'd never move back due to the crowds, the cost, the crowds, and the congestion (due to crowds). The weather is consistently gorgeous, but I'd rather live in Ohio, have a real yard, and just put on some clothes when it is cold rather than spend 2 hours on the freeway to go 40 miles.

Quote:
I like that the US is varied enough that most people can find the "right place" for themselves.
Amen. I'm glad people enjoy CA, and can understand the attraction.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a California native. Born and raised in Newport Beach back in the day when teachers could afford a house in the boardwalk. Moved around Southern California- Corona del Mar, Long Beach and up in the North Tustin foothills.
Left two years ago- by no means was it the COL but I just wanted to experience living somewhere else.

I miss the people, but the state is no longer the nirvana I grew up in, which is really sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #45

You know winter is over when the California bashing picks up again on early-retirement.org 😀

Old 05-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

Mindful of the 1980's, when business sent me to CA, some of the best memories were of places north of Oakland/San Francisco... in particular, Auburn, Grass Valley and smaller towns like Susanville. When it made more sense to stay in CA instead of going back to Chicago for the weekend, I had weekends free to explore.
Many happy times traveling with CA company district managers to see the sights, so had a rosy outlook leading me to tell DW that we would eventually settle in in one of the "then quiet" outlying towns. Spent a weekend at Antelope Lake near Taylorsville... fishing, and thought I had gone to heaven.

So, now, looking at city:data can see that the larger towns have grown in income, housing values etc... and realize that we made the right choice, given our economics.

Still... fond memories of the ocean, Yosemite, and the forests and lakes.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I agree. I grew up in SoCal, but I'd never move back due to the crowds, the cost, the crowds, and the congestion (due to crowds). The weather is consistently gorgeous, but I'd rather live in Ohio, have a real yard, and just put on some clothes when it is cold rather than spend 2 hours on the freeway to go 40 miles.

Amen. I'm glad people enjoy CA, and can understand the attraction.

I'm kinda like W2R. Most of the time, I don't much want to leave my neighborhood. Also like W2R, I have my Dream House, and there isn't any place else I really want to be. 🌴🌞👙🍊🍷

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
You know winter is over when the California bashing picks up again on early-retirement.org 😀

"Sent from my iPhone --from my car, as I creep along on the 605 Freeway with 200,000 of my best friends"

From a San Gabriel Valley-expat who remembers many aspects of life there very fondly.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

CA becomes really cool when you are retired. Driving from where I live to San Jose was a 2.5 hour affair when I was working. But the cool thing about CA freeways is they are speed limit (or faster) from 10 to 2. I can easily go have lunch in San Jose whenever I want, it takes less than an hour from 10 to 2.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, yawn.

People have been bashing California since well before I moved out here from Massachusetts thirty years ago.

Oh, and people used to bash Massachusetts too - is that still a thang?

Whiners gotta whine.
CA Exodus
Old 05-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #51

CA Exodus

After living in the East Coast for 3 years, I moved back to California and never looked back. I'm glad for those 3 years because digging your car under 10 feet of snow after work was no fun. I've bought 4 houses in California so the housing cost never intimidated me. I'm sure I could help my kids buy their starter home, except they are not sure where they would stay yet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Mindful of the 1980's, when business sent me to CA, some of the best memories were of places north of Oakland/San Franci sco... in particular, Auburn, Grass Valley and smaller towns like Susanville.
When DH & I retired we briefly considered leaving the SF Bay area for WA or OR, but we found exactly what we were looking for here in CA. Our dream home is a short drive to Auburn, where I often go hiking. We're very close to great bicycling and kayaking too. Home prices are considerably less than the Bay Area. By Bay Area standards, congestion is practically nonexistent. We love it here.

Bear in mind, California is a very large state. It's not just the Bay Area & LA. Here, I have a real yard, & I had to bundle up during the winter.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I'm kinda like W2R. Most of the time, I don't much want to leave my neighborhood. Also like W2R, I have my Dream House, and there isn't any place else I really want to be.
I can definitely understand that! (typed while sitting in my favorite easy chair, right here in the den of my Dream House, which is located in my dream neighborhood). With any luck, I'll never move again.

I think that many or most of the retirees on the forum are exactly where we want to be and wouldn't move for the world. I think that is wonderful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think it is a bit immature to think that folks who live somewhere else have somehow made a mistake. Yet, it is very popular to declare many places as not fit to live.

I may not understand the motivation of some folks, but I must balance that with the fact that I really do not care if they understand my motivations as well.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #55

I think the author of the article linked in the OP needs to take a lesson from Louis CK:

Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

There is no "California Exodus";

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...00&hl=en&dl=en

The state continues to grow.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

California is a big place. There are many counties with no crowds and not a lot of traffic. We've been happy in the Bay Area and have real yard with trees as do most people we know, at least the ones in single family homes. The lack of housing density contributes to the housing shortage, but between the lower housing density and good public transportation the traffic seems less to me than the busy parts of So Cal.

There is traffic where we live during commute hours but like Robbie posted not so much between 10 am and 2 pm, and I'd add or after 7 pm most week nights and not so much on the weekends except some areas. SF itself seems to have traffic 24 X 7 these days but it also does have a good public transportation system so we usually take the train when we go there. Many SF households (~30%) do not even own cars. We took the freeway to UC Botanical Garden in Berkeley in the East Bay today (Sunday) and there was not a lot of traffic. The botanical garden has a small Redwood grove with a stream and picnic tables and we had it almost to ourselves today, so maybe some places are crowded but we have learned to avoid them.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #58

Hmmm...I've not been around the forum for a long time, decided to take a peek, and found this thread.

As chance would have it, we are planning a house hunting trip about 10 days from now, to try to find a suitable location in a state that doesn't confiscate so much of my retirement income. In other words, we are looking at leaving California and its confiscatory tax rates. It isn't the rent, for us, that's the problem...it's that the state has such ridiculously high taxes on my income, that when my deferred income from my working days kicks in at the end of 2019, I could literally buy a very nice home in a very nice neighborhood for the income tax I will have to pay on the deferred income over the 10 year payout period. So, we are considering a move to a no or low income tax state. We may keep our California dream home as a vacation home for a few years, but only stay here occasionally, or maybe just sell it and stay in the Motorhome if we come to visit. We love it here, and will miss it if we do decide to leave, but we're simply fed up with the amount we must pay in taxes for the privilege of living here.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:05 AM   #59
Administrator

Hey Rambler, nice to see you back.

We left NY because of the taxes. We still miss it, had a very enjoyable lifestyle there, and did not mind the taxes when I was working. After quitting, however, I quickly saw that as an unneeded expense really related to work, so we moved to Florida.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hey Rambler, nice to see you back.
Yes, it most certainly is! Why don't you sit and stay a while...