Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
My Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 829
Cable

We presently have TV & Internet Cable, and although it's not digital cable, we still pay approximatly $110.00 per month incl. tax. We're located in Ontario Canada, and since our kids still live at home we have several tv's through out the house what other options do we have?

First off, doesn't that seem like alot per month?
__________________

__________________
Newbie
My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Deetso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 82
Re: Cable

I recently moved and dont have any sort of television besides over the air and I love it. I pay about 25/m for my internet and it does great for me. So of course the one option I would recommend is just dumping the television.

I think 110/m sounds like a lot but I wouldnt want to pay for television at all anymore. Just think of what you could do with that extra $85 a month! (I couldnt imagine giving up internet so Ill presume you are exactly like me and will just stop watching TV )
__________________

__________________
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 260
Re: Cable

Las Vegas, NV - we pay about $103 per month for cable (expanded basic; no premium channels) and cablemodem internet (same provider).

I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is, so I don't know how it actually compares. And I can't even begin to think what other options you might have, not being Canadian. Sorry.
__________________
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
Re: Cable

We are with Rogers Cable in Ontario. We have deluxe digital all channel all movie universe, internet, 2 cellphones with unlimited minutes and long distance land line @ 5 cents/minute, 10% discount on the shopping channel and $5/mo off the National Post newspaper.

All in ~$190/mo.
__________________
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
DRiP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 546
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso
I recently moved and dont have any sort of television besides over the air and I love it. I pay about 25/m for my internet and it does great for me. So of course the one option I would recommend is just dumping the television.

I think 110/m sounds like a lot but I wouldnt want to pay for television at all anymore. Just think of what you could do with that extra $85 a month! (I couldnt imagine giving up internet so Ill presume you are exactly like me and will just stop watching TV )
I guess I have been a cheap SOB in that I have not had cable ever. I had a 36" TV that finally went on the fritz in Nov of last year. The vertical hold went out, so it was rolling sometimes. Finally, right after Christmas I saw some good deals on LCD HDTV units and bought an RCA to replace it. I felt guilt for not troubleshooting the old one, but it seemed the time to upgrade, the old set was ten years old, and technology had changed enough to do it.

Holy Toledo, I loved the output from my DVDs on the new LCD! I wondered if I would have to finally break down and get cable in order to enjoy it properly.

Just for the heck of it, I went ahead and let it autotune using just a little UHF loop antenna.

I now have 24 digital tuned stations locked in, many of them broadcasting in HD.

Needless to say, I am happy as a pig in slop, and there is no way I am going to pay for cable.
__________________
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Re: Cable

I don't have a TV - only internet DSL. I watch DVDs on the laptop.
I'm trying my best not to get a TV. I think life is better without it.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
DRiP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 546
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I don't have a TV - only internet DSL. I watch DVDs on the laptop.
I'm trying my best not to get a TV. I think life is better without it.
You are probably right. and I'm not trying to convert you, but to show what a Luddite I had became myself, at least in entertainment stuff, I did not realize that PBS (my favorite over the air channel) not only had gone Digital, but it has 2 'subnet' channels as well, so between the Miami and Palm Beach stations, I get like 5 PBS channels for free, many programs in digital, usually with non-overlapping content. I especially love NOVA. I know that many programs are streamed to the 'net these days, so you might (if you had the urge) be able to see a lot of content that way, too.
__________________
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: Cable

You might also check out FTA (free-to-air) satellite receivers. Plenty of free content comes through the air, and some of it is even legal to get.
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
VoyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 445
Re: Cable

Not sure what your options are there ... do you have sattelite service such as DISH or DirectTV available? (we pay $49 US for DISH's lower tier service, but it offers more channels than a compatible cable plan.) You'll probably have to pay for extra receivers if you have more than 1 TV hooked up. Do you have to have cable internet, or could you get DSL or dialup?
You may want to talk to friends, co-workers, etc to see what's available and do some number crunching.
__________________
"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised." -- Kathryn Janeway
VoyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,598
Re: Cable

We pay $89.95 plus tax for a total of 95.18 per month for HS Cable Internet, Expanded Basic Cable and Phone Service ("free" 24/7 Long distance (US and some other country).

They raised the price from $99.95 last month but I called and was going to cut some services to reduce the bill. They said "we got this special price for a year if you keep the services you have". As can be seen the price was a $10.00 month reduction for 12 months. Still plan to cut services but will now wait a year. DW loves the "free" LD as she uses it about 25 hours a month talking to family. Would be upset if I get rid of that particular service.
__________________
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
bruce1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hagersville
Posts: 793
Re: Cable

My Cousin pays aout $85 plus tax for non digital cable and internet access in Hamilton. Another, also in Ontario has expressview at $55 month (tax in ) and DSL at 55 tax in. I use and antenna and dial up. The dial up will change soon as it seems DSL now available in my rural area.

Bruce
__________________
I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am!
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
You are probably right. and I'm not trying to convert you, but to show what a Luddite I had became myself, at least in entertainment stuff, I did not realize that PBS (my favorite over the air channel) not only had gone Digital, but it has 2 'subnet' channels as well, so between the Miami and Palm Beach stations, I get like 5 PBS channels for free, many programs in digital, usually with non-overlapping content. I especially love NOVA. I know that many programs are streamed to the 'net these days, so you might (if you had the urge) be able to see a lot of content that way, too.
I may sound like a nut about not having a TV but here it goes. I think having a TV in the house is like having cocaine in the house if you are a drug addict. You will use it. I'm not saying there are some good programs on TV - just as the high from drugs is a "good" feeling.

Like drugs you start out for the good part (PBS shows) and then you find yourself spending a lot of time in the bad times (Jerry Springer). The drug anology is not that far off. Studies have monitored the brain waves of people watching TV and they are similar to those on opiates.

So don't self medicate, get the monkey off your back, get rid of your additiction and trash the TV - or just use it for rental movies.

It will be difficult at first the phases are:
Energy - do everything on your "To Do List"
Boredom - nothing on your "To Do List" - a lot of time on your hands
Relaspse - you go to the bar to watch TV or the movies more than normal - this is the danger point
If you get past the Relaspse phase you are free and have realised that the boredom of not having a TV allowed you to again to use your imagination and do things that make you more interesting.
You know that you will never go back when you do watch TV over a friends show and you are insulted by the program or do not relate to it at all.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
My Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 829
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
Las Vegas, NV - we pay about $103 per month for cable (expanded basic; no premium channels) and cablemodem internet (same provider).

With the exchange it comes out to more then $110. Can


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
We are with Rogers Cable in Ontario. We have the deluxe digital all channel all movie universe, internet, and 2 cellphones with unlimited minutes and long distance land line @ 5 cents/minute.

All in ~$190/mo.

We're also on Rogers, and with the cell phone it's still cheaper than $190. but then we don't have all of those features.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy

Just for the heck of it, I went ahead and let it autotune using just a little UHF loop antenna.

I now have 24 digital tuned stations locked in, many of them broadcasting in HD.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the understanding that HD which is approximately 1080 lines of resolution can only be received by satellite, digital cable and such. I didn't think you can receive that signal with just a loop antenna.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I don't have a TV - only internet DSL. I watch DVDs on the laptop.
I'm trying my best not to get a TV. I think life is better without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
Not sure what your options are there ... do you have sattelite service such as DISH or DirectTV available? (we pay $49 US for DISH's lower tier service, but it offers more channels than a compatible cable plan.) You'll probably have to pay for extra receivers if you have more than 1 TV hooked up. Do you have to have cable internet, or could you get DSL or dialup?
The problem I see with satellite is the addition receivers would out way the cost. Not worth it if you have too many TV's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I I think having a TV in the house is like having cocaine in the house if you are a drug addict. You will use it. I'm not saying there are some good programs on TV - just as the high from drugs is a "good" feeling.
That can be said for internet, food or anything for that matter. There are good educational channels on TV, e.g., The Home, Food, Speed, Network channel. It's up to every individual to police themselves. Most anything can be addictive. The cable is here to stay; I'm just trying to get some feedback on pricing.


Thanks.
__________________
Newbie
My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,107
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the understanding that HD which is approximately 1010 lines of resolution can only be received by satellite, digital cable and such. I didn't think you can receive that signal with just a loop antenna.
HD is available over the air using a standard TV antenna. Like DRiP Guy, that's how I'm getting my HD programming.

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
My Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 829
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
HD is available over the air using a standard TV antenna. Like DRiP Guy, that's how I'm getting my HD programming.

Just so I don't missunderstand, all you need is a HDTV, and a compatable TV antennae outside or inside your home to receive 1080 lines of resolution? Do you need a seperate receiver, or any other external components? Does it matter whether you're located in the US, Canadan, etc?

Thanks REWahoo.
__________________
Newbie
My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,107
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
Just so I don't missunderstand, all you need is a HDTV, and a compatable TV antennae outside or inside your home to receive 1010 lines of resolution? Do you need a seperate receiver, or any other external components? Does it matter whether you're located in the US, Canadan, etc?
You do need an HD reciever if it isn't built in to your HD-capable TV, and I don't think the Canadian system is any different from the US, so that shouldn't matter.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx will tell you the direction, distance and availability of every HD and regular TV channel within receiving distance of your location using an over-the-air antenna. Unfortunately, this site does not provide information for addresses outside the US.

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I may sound like a nut about not having a TV but here it goes. I think having a TV in the house is like having cocaine in the house if you are a drug addict. You will use it. I'm not saying there are some good programs on TV - just as the high from drugs is a "good" feeling.

Like drugs you start out for the good part (PBS shows) and then you find yourself spending a lot of time in the bad times (Jerry Springer). The drug anology is not that far off. Studies have monitored the brain waves of people watching TV and they are similar to those on opiates.

So don't self medicate, get the monkey off your back, get rid of your additiction and trash the TV - or just use it for rental movies.

It will be difficult at first the phases are:
Energy - do everything on your "To Do List"
Boredom - nothing on your "To Do List" - a lot of time on your hands
Relaspse - you go to the bar to watch TV or the movies more than normal - this is the danger point
If you get past the Relaspse phase you are free and have realised that the boredom of not having a TV allowed you to again to use your imagination and do things that make you more interesting.
You know that you will never go back when you do watch TV over a friends show and you are insulted by the program or do not relate to it at all.


Well, it is your opinion.................

I haven't had cable since 1987, but my DVD and VHS collections are pretty nice......
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Re: Cable

Hmmm

I usually check into rehab AFTER football season.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - go Saints.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.
My Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 829
Re: Cable

Thanks for the info REWahoo!. I've gone over it quickly once but feel I need to read it again to get a better understanding. Hopefully that site with acomidate Canada sometime soon.



__________________
Newbie
My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Cable
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
DRiP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 546
Re: Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
Just so I don't missunderstand, all you need is a HDTV, and a compatable TV antennae outside or inside your home to receive 1080 lines of resolution? Do you need a seperate receiver, or any other external components? Does it matter whether you're located in the US, Canadan, etc?

Thanks REWahoo.
I bought a set with tuner built in, just to avoid the hassle of ever having to look for one to add as a component. I already went through my 'audiophile' phase, and was not going to go 'videophile', so integrated was what I wanted.

Here is a quick grab of some of the specs. I paid $900:
Formats 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
Resolution 1366x768
Built-in HDTV/QAM Tuner for Access to Digital Programming
Widescreen 16:9 Display
High Contrast Display and 3D Digital Comb Filter
Digital Connections Include HDMI™, VGA/PC and Component Inputs
Listen to TV Audio in PC Mode with MultiTask Audio™
VESA Compatible Wall Mounting

Again, I am no expert, don't know all the ins and outs, and was frankly, just pleasantly surprised to get anything better than analog over-the-air, but there it was!

I just checked antenna guide for my area, and it looks like I am getting all the channels I should - 20 something digital, of which a little less than 1/2 are HD.

Lots of good technical info here:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/info.aspx?page=FAQ#_DTLPCA

Quote:
DTV is the umbrella term used to describe the digital television system adopted by the FCC in December 1996. HDTV is a type of DTV service. HDTV provides high resolution programming in a widescreen format. A current analog TV picture can provide resolution of up to 480 horizontal lines. An HDTV picture can provide resolution of up to 1080 lines, providing improved picture detail. Aspect ratio is a comparison of screen width to screen height. Analog TV has an aspect ratio of 4 by 3, which means the screen is 4 inches wide for every 3 inches high. Widescreen HDTV format has an aspect ratio of 16 by 9. HDTV programs include Dolby digital surround sound, similar to the sound used in movie theaters and on DVDs.

Currently, the vast majority of TV stations broadcasting in digital are using UHF (14 and up) channels to do so. This is not due to any technical requirement of digital broadcasting, however. It is mostly because the UHF channels were more likely to be available in most markets. Eventually, after the digital transition is complete and TV stations no longer need to broadcast in analog, they may switch and use their current analog VHF channels for digital instead.



__________________

__________________
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you live with OUT cell phone, high speed internet and cable TV? Enuff2Eat FIRE and Money 54 05-21-2007 05:28 AM
Cable Out, Back Soon TromboneAl Other topics 2 01-04-2007 11:44 AM
Internet provider tenative Other topics 32 03-09-2006 09:26 PM
Savings, Cable TV, Cell Phones & Internet Attitudes mb FIRE and Money 59 01-25-2006 09:01 AM
Suggestions for High-Speed Internet Cut-Throat Other topics 23 07-17-2004 08:54 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.