Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's silly. You're still getting internet service through the cable.

We interrupt this discussion for a brief history lesson: once upon a time before there was internet, one could purchase a TV subscription from the Cable Company to enhance the content received from their over the air antenna, which otherwise only received 4-6 channels. Yes, that’s right only 4-6 channels, not 40, not 400, just 4. At first just HBO and Showtime were available, (this was maybe 1978-ish?), then came MTV, CNN and others. My family never had cable so I could be off on the year. This is what is commonly known as “cable tv” today, even if delivered via Satellite.

AT&T provided telephone service only. Comcast provided the cable tv only. There was no cross over of services. Now it is different.

Streaming video content from the internet is not “cable TV” even if your internet provider, is Comcast.

We will now return to our discussion...
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Comcast = Cable company
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #23

I, too, would like to cut the TV cable (truly I wouldn't, but this whole cable thing is becoming more and more expensive and irritating).

Do I have this right?:

1. I keep the internet cable for the computer (I already have my own modem and router).

2. We have a ROKU stick (two, if you must know for two TV's). I guess we can continue to get Netflix by keeping the internet cable. So, we can watch Netflix on two TV's. but the other two TV's will be essentially be non-functional.

3. If we cut the TV cable, we no longer can watch regular TV unless we attempt to do something we can't do. And, then we can no longer record TV shows.

4. We do this for two months, give up, decide money isn't an issue and sign up again with the cable company.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I, too, would like to cut the TV cable (truly I wouldn't, but this whole cable thing is becoming more and more expensive and irritating).

Do I have this right?:

1. I keep the internet cable for the computer (I already have my own modem and router).

2. We have a ROKU stick (two, if you must know for two TV's). I guess we can continue to get Netflix by keeping the internet cable. So, we can watch Netflix on two TV's. but the other two TV's will be essentially be non-functional.

3. If we cut the TV cable, we no longer can watch regular TV unless we attempt to do something we can't do. And, then we can no longer record TV shows.

4. We do this for two months, give up, decide money isn't an issue and sign up again with the cable company.
1) yes
2) yes , unless you do something...
3) you may be able to get over the air HD digital TV , we get a lot of channels using a rooftop antenna, but in house ones work, and you can build one yourself with wire hangers.
4) Have the other person sign up and get the new customer benefit. (that was told to me by Comcast employee)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
1) yes
2) yes , unless you do something...
3) you may be able to get over the air HD digital TV , we get a lot of channels using a rooftop antenna, but in house ones work, and you can build one yourself with wire hangers.
4) Have the other person sign up and get the new customer benefit. (that was told to me by Comcast employee)
Thank you. As for option 2: what are the most realistic choices?

Also, if we cut the cable, can we still buy HBO and a football package and things like that?

Oh, wire hangers won't work. We only have wooden or plastic hangers in the house.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We have Internet only or Internet and some basic channel package if it is the same cost or not too much more as Internet only. We have three competing cable companies in our area and our house is wired for all three. Every time our current plan gets the price raised we call around and ask each company to give us their lowest bid for our business, and then go with the best package / price option. We have a Firestick and Roku we use to watch mainly Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

A Comcast customer service lady once told me if you drop cable for 4 months you would then be eligible for new customer rates. That was a couple of years ago so not sure if still true.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Seems like several questions running through this thread.
  1. To cut cable/satellite TV and still watch "TV," unless you choose to rely entirely on OTA, you will still need an internet connection of at least 10-25 Mbps to stream TV. More for 4K, but there’s very little 4K content yet. Most broadcast TV is still 720p or 1080i, not even 1080p.
  2. For content, you can stream on demand TV for free, but if you want better choices you’ll have to pay for a service like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Now, basic Hulu, etc. around $5-15/mo and they're more movie and original content providers. The TV shows they provide often don't become available until long after original broadcasts, some are one full season behind.
  3. For content, if you want to stream live TV, there are a few free live choices (Pluto?) but if you want the most popular TV networks (similar to cable/satellite) you’ll need Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, Hulu Live or DirecTV Now for $20-80/mo. Most of these packages offer cloud DVRs so you can still “record” your favorite shows, and they offer on demand libraries too.
  4. For "hardware," to stream content you’ll need a Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire or Chromecast unless you have a smart TV offering any of the packages above you want.
We have:
  • a 25 mpbs Comcast internet connection (our only real choice) - $50/mo, we're looking forward to having fiber one day.
  • PlayStation Vue 60+ live channels, cloud DVR, and on demand library on up to 5 simultaneous devices (TV, iPad, PC, iPhone) - $45/mo
  • PBS Passport - $5/mo and various free apps, I watch free YouTube often (on a 55” TV). I wonder if people realize how much quality content is on YouTube TV, including daily excerpts from many TV programs on demand.
  • a Roku Ultra ($90-100) in the fam room, Roku Stick+ ($55-70) in the bedroom and a Chromecast (free, normally $35) in the basement exercise room.
  • an OTA that we almost never use - free
We broke even in 3 months (Roku's, Vue & PBS) and we’re saving $600/yr over what Dish TV was costing with all the bells & whistles satellite TV was providing us. And there are no contracts so we can switch to something else anytime. Not being trapped in 2 year contracts and endless price increases was worth cutting the cable to us!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Comcast internet around here (NJ) is $61.95 for Performance (50Mbps). There is no other fiber choice at this time.
We have limited basic, which is $13/month. HD TV Box and Broadcast TV fee adds another $10 or so to the bill.
Netflix is $13.95/month. Amazon is include in the Prime fee.
Everything goes up. Only way to stop the madness is to stop.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another option is to use “snowbird service” which is offered by Comcast and AT&T, where they keep your service on standby for $10-$15 per month for the time you are away.
Yep. Our snowbird locale has Century Link as a provider: their snowbird "off season" price is reduced to $10 monthly for internet, and can be "turned on" for a short stay/visit of a couple of weeks if needed. Also cable TV, but do not know the price for that one. Perhaps your provider up north offers a similar deal during the winter months.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
A Comcast customer service lady once told me if you drop cable for 4 months you would then be eligible for new customer rates. That was a couple of years ago so not sure if still true.
I'm a snow bird too, and when not in FL I cancel my Comcast TV service but keep my internet so I can access my wifi cameras and thermostat. I'd put the TV on the snowbird service if I could, but they can't snowbird the TV but not the internet. So every year when I get back to FL I am eligible for the new customer deals for TV.

I currently own a third home that we used to rent to DD. She moved out but we kept it to use to visit her for extended periods. It has no cable TV or internet access. I set up an OTA antenna in a spare bedroom, and we can pick up almost 40 channels (DC area). 6 or 7 of them are worth watching. I especially like Comet TV, a channel that shows old sci fi shows and bad movies.

We just came home after being there for a month, and using only our AT&T phone hotspots for internet. Misery! Luckily the HOA has made a deal with Comcast for internet access that will start next year. It will be part of the HOA fee, so I can't avoid it while we still own the TH. But it will make being there far more enjoyable. I'm an internet addict. Plus it will give us access to the streaming TV services, which I couldn't watch over the hotspot without using up my data plan.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #32

Another question as a result of possible cable-cutting.

BTW, I'd likely only be cutting cable at my Michigan location, as it is a single family home, with no "included services", unlike the basic Comcast Cable TV that comes with my FL condo.

I have a TiVO DVR (each with prepaid lifetime service), in my MI and FL locations.

Will TiVo work with non-cable offerings? I recall getting a cable card from the cable company that was inserted into the TiVO box. I assume I would need to return that cable card if I cut cable TV...but then what?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

No cable TV or cable internet service for last couple of years. I decided that there are lots better uses of my time than watching a lot of TV so just use an amplified indoor digital antenna (major networks, around 25 channels total).

Cricket cell plan serves as hotspot/internet access for MacBook Air - 10gb per month which typically serves my needs. This setup is a holdover from my full-time RV days and also makes moving/travel less complicated.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

BTW, I'd likely only be cutting cable at my Michigan location, as it is a single family home, with no "included services", unlike the basic Comcast Cable TV that comes with my FL condo.

I have a TiVO DVR (each with prepaid lifetime service), in my MI and FL locations.

Will TiVo work with non-cable offerings? I recall getting a cable card from the cable company that was inserted into the TiVO box. I assume I would need to return that cable card if I cut cable TV...but then what?

omni
It depends what kind of TiVos you have. Some can take an antenna input instead of digital cable and some cannot. This site can help you identify what you have and what types of inputs it can take: https://www.tivopedia.com
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I cancelled cable TV service about a year ago and have had no regrets.
One question I don't understand: several posters have mentioned recording shows using TiVo or something similar. All of the online services I have seen offer content on an on-demand basis; shows are available to start or pause at the viewer's whim. I don't see the need to record.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
I cancelled cable TV service about a year ago and have had no regrets.
One question I don't understand: several posters have mentioned recording shows using TiVo or something similar. All of the online services I have seen offer content on an on-demand basis; shows are available to start or pause at the viewer's whim. I don't see the need to record.
While all the services offer on demand libraries, and they’re probably becoming more complete, they’re not always complete - so you’ll miss some episodes. That’s not OK for everyone.

And some become available long after they’re originally aired. Some people like to discuss current episodes of shared favorite programs with friends, they don’t want to see this years episodes of The Big Bang - next year...

“Start and pause” aren’t really the main issue for most, it’s skipping ads. When we cloud DVR programs we can start, pause and skip ads as we like. Not so for on demand, some allow skipping, some don’t. Some services offer ad skipping or ad free episodes, but at an increased subscription price.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
What model Tivo?

I use a base (4-tuner) Roamio with a CableCard, but it will also tune OTA (one coax input - either digital cable or antenna, not both at the same time)

Higher-end (6-tuner) Roamio models are digital cable only.

OTOH, my old Tivo Premiere has dual, (2-tuner) coax inputs - one for analog/digital cable, one for antenna, & can use both inputs at the same time.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack;2060304[*
a Roku Ultra ($90-100) in the fam room, Roku Stick+ ($55-70) in the bedroom and a Chromecast (free, normally $35) in the basement exercise room.
We cut the cord recently. Using $70 Roku Stick+. Looking to buy another Roku. Trying to decide if I should get Ultra or the same one I already have. I'm interested in your opinion on benefits of Ultra vs Stick+.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

AT and T Uverse. I need the high speed option for work (telecommute out of home office) and it's the best option in my area. There are however cheaper low speed options.
workburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
We cut the cord recently. Using $70 Roku Stick+. Looking to buy another Roku. Trying to decide if I should get Ultra or the same one I already have. I'm interested in your opinion on benefits of Ultra vs Stick+.
We bought the Streaming Stick+ first, and the Ultra shortly thereafter. Being new to relying entirely on streaming TV, and with DW skeptical about the whole idea, I wanted to be prepared to plug directly into Ethernet if necessary - hence the Ultra. And to try voice commands, nice but unnecessary and it only works with the Roku app so far.

Turns out we’re fine with either over WiFi, we’ve streamed both TV’s simultaneously with the odd iPad or iPhone online and never had problems to speak of, with our modest 25 Mbps connection.

Just guessing, but I noticed both are on sale on the Roku site today - that may bee newer models are about to roll out?