Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cable TV Technical Question
Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cable TV Technical Question

I'm trying to debug a problem with our cable TV (the one I thought was resolved recently).

There's a problem I see with a particular channel on my TV. That problem is not present on my neighbor's TV. We are both connected to the same provider (Suddenlink). He has a relatively new TV.

My question is: Could his TV be using a different set of signals that are coming over the cable? That is, could his be decoding digital signals while mine is using the analog signals?

Thanks,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Do you both have the same set top box from the cable company? I would think the provider should be providing the same signals to both of you for the same stations.

Alternatively if there's no set top box and you have QAM tuners in the TV to pick up the cable signals, differences in the sets could account for it potentially.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If it's coming over your cable, it should be digital. What kind of artifiacts are you seeing? Or is it something else? Sometimes it's as easy as tightening the coax connections, or maybe buying a signal amplifier. If you've got a number of splitters along the way you could be losing signal strength. The easiest way to test this is to hook the tv directly to the coax coming in from the street. Maybe you could borrow your neighbor's tv (if it's not too big) and see if the problem occurs on their tv in your house. Also, you might be able to bypass the cable box (depending on the tv and the channel) and see if the problem goes away that way. The tighter you can focus on the problem, the better chance you have of getting someone to look into it seriously.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you called the cable company help line? I had one channel that gave me fits with artifacts and a degrading picture until finally the box gave me an error message and froze up whenever I tuned to that channel. CS reps from the company can look at return data from your cable box and diagnose issues. In my case the original connections, done by a contractor, were poorly done. Repair guy took about 45 minutes and redid every connection inside and out - no problems since.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

See this thread for more:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...dio-42501.html
Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wonder why the Mods do not merge these two threads? I am getting confused!