Calling All Lazy Boys

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since recliners are such an important component of a successful retirement, here's a tip.

Today I replaced the "pawl rack" on my four-year-old La-z-boy recliner (part supplied free from the company).

Compare the old (on the top) and new,

Sxj49v2.jpg

and you'll see that the teeth towards the bottom have been rounded off. As a result, the chair wouldn't hold in the full reclined position. This is a serious problem.

You can avoid this problem if you learn to rock back before releasing the handle.

The surgery wasn't too hard, except that it used non-standard bolts, and I needed a fabric consult from Dr. Lena.

Last edited:
Thanks for the "preventative tip," maybe it will save me the trouble you had.
We've had the same Lazy Boy for 30 years, and my Dad used it for 10 years before that. We had it re-upholstered 20 years ago (which cost about the same as a new low-end recliner), and am glad we did, as it is still in good shape and the most comfortable seat in the house. I don't know if they still make 'em that well.

Since recliners are such an important component of a successful retirement,

Not always! Only if you like them. :)

I will never own another Lazy Boy because I think unjamming them is a huge hassle and I don't need the challenge. For me, an old fashioned easy chair with ottoman is the way to go. Ah... so relaxing! And they never need unjamming. :D

Not always! Only if you like them. :)

I will never own another Lazy Boy because I think unjamming them is a huge hassle and I don't need the challenge. For me, an old fashioned easy chair with ottoman is the way to go. Ah... so relaxing! And they never need unjamming. :D

I've owned Lazy Boy recliners (3 of them) for about 7 years now and they have been trouble free and quite comfortable so far. I didn't know of the unjamming issue with these recliners. What is it exactly?

I've owned Lazy Boy recliners (3 of them) for about 7 years now and they have been trouble free and quite comfortable so far. I didn't know of the unjamming issue with these recliners. What is it exactly?

I guess I'm an idiot! :LOL: When I had them, I jammed them all the time.

But then, come to think of it, so did my ex-husband, and so does everyone I have ever known with one. In fact, when the Salvation Army picked up the last one I will ever own, they said they get jammed ones all the time that people have given up on, but they know how to fix them.

Sounds to me like you are a genius with recliners! You should go into business for LazyBoy. :ROFLMAO: But me, I'd rather sit in my easy chair and enjoy life, than work like that.

Last edited:
I guess I'm an idiot! :LOL: When I had them, I jammed them all the time.

But then, come to think of it, so did my ex-husband, and so does everyone I have ever known with one. In fact, when the Salvation Army picked up the last one I will ever own, they said they get jammed ones all the time that people have given up on, but they know how to fix them.

Sounds to me like you are a genius with recliners! You should go into business for LazyBoy. :ROFLMAO: But me, I'd rather sit in my easy chair and enjoy life, than work like that.

No, I'm really the dummy on this. The Lazy Boy you had - how did it jam? was there a particular setting that would bring this jamming on? Maybe I've just been lucky and I just don't do whatever it is that brings on this issue. Maybe in that case I'd be better off not to know uh? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom