Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm glad she made what I think is the right decision. Time for her DH to grow up and be proud of his DW's achievements, and support her. If he does not, the marriage may still be in trouble.

Bigger picture, I think we forget how recently that this type of behavior was considered normal and acceptable in Western societies. I can remember these discussions in the 70's and it was one reason why I prioritized becoming independent through my career so that I would never be financially dependent on a man. In many parts of the world, the husband's wishes still overrule the wife's. We still need to be feminists.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Indeed. When I accepted my husband's position it was in the 70s.

Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
As a female director level, I am happy for her and hope it works out. My ex is an ex because he did not support my career among many other control- related issues and extreme narcissism.

When I started doing well in my career, my DS was young and I had make lots of decisions to make sure I took care of him. It wasn't easy and I divorced his dad when he was 6. So my career had several changes as I tried to be there to see him grow up, but still maintain my career growth.

For me, growth meant continued learning but not necessarily getting promoted all the time. I had titles up to director and back down to manager and back up to director, not due to poor performance but my choice to be there for him.

I married again when DS was a teenager and it was great to have a husband who was supportive of my career, and who always offered to do some of the errands or pickups.

I don't regret my choice, DS grew up well adjusted, just graduated college in May, with no additional semesters, and got a job 6 weeks after graduation. I think having a role model who was happy and successful in her work helped him make his career choice and give him a focus and goal.

So my point is that a working mom can have a successful career and happy kids as long as she remembers her kids come before work...AND if her husband is supportive.
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Good that she took the decision to go ahead.
If you feel that you need to support her, you could deliver her this argument:
If he supports her enough in parenthood her promotions make it even safer for him to ER, and if all works out very well she might even retire early together with him.

She should also consider which role models she wants to implement into her kids.

chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote