Yes I have but only three times 4 4.40%
Yes I have more than three times 12 13.19%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Two or three times:
for physical fights
and once for a dog barking loud and long at night (as did several other neighbors).

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
We used to call in the cavalry occasionally when young renters next door had hellacious parties til 5 am, including one memorable Christmas eve that involved flashing male body parts at our young children. There are some neighbors who just aren't neighborly and why should the rest of us have to put up with them?

Had some trouble a couple of years ago with next door neighbors re an unlawful use and gross neglect of property that went to court--we never called the city or complained about this, but it turned out they had disregarded warnings and fines for years, and many other people had been calling about the vermin, etc.

You might as well call the cops--if the cops come, the "bad guys" will think it was you calling them anyway!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
When my daughter was 2 and we were at the beach, there was a really loud party going on across the street, keeping her awake. Starting at midnight I asked them to take it inside or quiet it down. Asked 3 times, then called the cops at 2 am. The cops came, didn't even talk to the partiers. Gave me a ticket for parking in the wrong direction on the street (there were dozens of mis-parked cars on the other side). Learned my lesson.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Never have. That's why I live where I live. Town has 3 acre minimum lots, so my neighbors are far enough away to not bother me (generally).
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #25
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
...once for a dog barking loud and long at night (as did several other neighbors).
now i have to raise my once (not a call but bringing the person directly to the station) to twice. the second time was not my intention. like khan's, was a dog parking at 5:30 am every day while i was dealing with mom's alzheimer's. that dog had just the right pitch to slice through even a closed window.

i tried to deal with it personally, the owner complied at first but then stopped and refused to control his dog. i didn't call the police but i did call code enforcement. code called the police. now procedure is to call the cops, not code. the police send someone out at the offending hour to observe the barking and then code writes up the violation.
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Yeah, several times, but only because I worked as a Resident Assistant to put myself through college and there were several very large, very loud, very alcohol-flavored parties I wasn't keen on breaking up myself. So I called our state troopers for backup.

Nothing breaks up a dorm room party like a couple big, old, state troopers. Loved 'em, especially since they'd ask me "do you want MIPs written, or just the party busted up." Unless it was a recurring issue we usually just had them break up the party and dump the booze.

I called the cops once while working for the county, too.

As far as non-job-related calls go, only one -- a car nearly ran down a pedestrian in the crosswalk on a busy street in our town, and then proceeded to run a red light. I called the cops for that but was told that it takes three consecutive misdemeanors within a small period to do a citizen's arrest. Too bad -- three people had been killed in that crosswalk that year by drivers who didn't stop and I was pretty p-o'd about it.
"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
In a previous neighborhood, the tenants across the street were so noisy that I offered to discuss the issue with their landlord. He opined me that he found my demeanor threatening and he called the police to complain about my intimidating assault. Unfortunately he'd forgotten about his outstanding bench warrants, and he moved out soon after making bail that. Best case of poetic justice I've ever witnessed.

These days we live on a bluff overlooking a gulch with a highway running across it. Twice, late at night, I've called 911 for vehicles leaving the highway and hitting the bluff hard enough to shake us awake. No survivors either time but the police were able to prevent further accidents while cleanup was in progress.

Another time some high-schoolers across the gulch (easily 500 yards away) were having a graduation party, rattling our windows at 1:30 AM with their sound system. On our second call the noise stopped.

We've had the police visit us a couple times looking for the house's drug parole violater former owner. Another visit came after a neighborhood teen used our yard to climb down into the gulch, greatly alarming the fighting-rooster breeders hard-working farmers down there. I drove down the next day to chat with the supervisor, and we've agreed to try to ignore each other.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #28
I have not called the "law" on neighbors...but did call the Newark police on a clean cut white male smoking crack in our alley the recruiting office was on (he DID NOT belong there!) - they actually cuffed & stuffed him for outstanding warrants (possession will not get you a ride, just a ticket in Newark)...also called 911 several times to report VERY reckless/possible drunk/medicated/erratic driving including tailgating, weaving, swerving over lines, etc.
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #29
Echo Leonidas - dealing with children who never grew up.

Where I grew up we didn't call the police unless arterial bleeding was involved.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #30
When I was in my 20's, I lived in this cheap apartment (thin walls) and my upstairs neighbor used to have parties into early mornings. One night, I got fed up and called the police at about 2AM. It took them 1.5 hours to respond. (The whole time I was lying in bed wide awake). I could hear the knock on the door, the noise in the upstairs apartment stopped abruptly. After the police left, there was no noise coming from upstairs and it stayed that way until I moved out a few months later.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
I voted "never" and then remembered, after reading y'all's posts that in my early 20's I tended bar for a season in a pretty rough bar, and one night there was a brawl in which the bar was getting busted up and I had no chance of stopping it alone. I did call the boys in blue. So---would the next person who's vote would be "never" please vote "only once" so the poll will again be accurate? But then I suppose folks have already voted by the time they read this. Oh hell, never mind.
noworkethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
So---would the next person who's vote would be "never" please vote "only once" so the poll will again be accurate?

NotReady4Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
noworkethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #34
Well, honestly I voted on calling the cops to my house/neighborhood--if we are counting being in other places, well I do have a couple.

Once for a drunk driver who ran me off the road and kept going and memorably, once at our favorite Mexican restaurant. There was an insanely drunk couple behind us and the woman was making very disgusting and filthy remarks about some women sitting across the restaurant (four very quiet and discreet ladies who were apparently lesbians). Since the restaurant staff were terrified of the cops, I called them on the house phone and agreed to make a statement for her to be charged with drunk/disorderly. She got to spend the night in jail for her rudeness, but I am still embarrassed to this day that the nice women never knew she was arrested, as they left before I called the police.

To my amusement, it is the only time I've ever given a cop my license to copy down while I was drinking a grande draft beer!
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
If there's a teenager/young adult violating some law, I really would hesitate to call the police (unless they were putting themselves in harm's way) because I wouldn't want to be responsible for them having a record.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #36
Twice, both times 911 was clogged up and I called the police station directly instead.

One was a group of teenage girls fighting in the middle of a busy street! They were so focused on kicking each other's butts that they didn't care that they were walking into the middle of a busy street and cars were just sitting there, not sure what to do.

Second was when two cars got in a fender bender or somehow provoked each other, and a group of fellas got out, looked like they had metal pipes or some sort of weapon, and started beating up the guy who I guess they faulted with the accident, or for looking at them the wrong way, I don't know for sure!
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #37
We've called the fuzz a few times over the have several of my law abiding neighbors. Called them on the dope house a couple of doors down several times. They'd be out in other people's yards and in the street fighting & yelling & screaming at each other (and the neighbors), and then they'd turn up the bazillion-watt car stereos with the THUMPA-THUMPA-THUMPA so-called music blasting at ear-splitting, house-rattling 2 o'clock in the morning. The drug task force eventually helped relocate several of the occupants to a 'big house' with a bunch of like minded free.

We live on a street that occasionally becomes a race track for some of the local hooligans.....which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that their are a lot of little kids in this neighborhood, and you never know when one might accidentally wander out near the street. (it's 100% residential, off the beaten path, and nothing that you could really call a 'through-street') We try to deal with the speeders ourselves as much as possible, but there's always 1 or 2, that won't take heed and require a cop to tell them the exact same thing that we neighbors already told them. One guy was so dense, it took him getting 2 speeding tickets, an unnecessary noise charge, and a wreckless driving charge (all in one afternoon) to get his attention and cooperation.

Nowadays we hardly ever see a squad car in the neighborhood. The dope dealers moved (to prison), and the ultra-dumb driver moved out of the 'hood. Now the neighborhood is pretty much as it was when I was kid.....peaceful & quiet and safe for kids to ride their bikes.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks for all the replies!

I don't really consider calling the police to help in an accident or if there is a group of people beating someone up in the same category really because you might be savings someones life and that is really nice of you to call.

Where I live it's like 100% of the calls to the police are just to cause grief to the other neighbor.

I was looking at the poll results and 87%-88% have not called the police more than three times in their life. Well I have had at least three neighbors that would have called more than three times in like a a few months...or in one persons case maybe 2 weeks!

You know this whole world would be so much better if people would stop being malicious.

summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote