Camera Buying Decisions

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This thread is a spinoff from HELP! Shopping Disease thread.

It's for those of us who consider upgrading their cameras.

I'm really into photography, but wonder whether my pictures would be significantly better with a better camera. Also, if I had a larger camera, would I had it with me as often?

Finally, I'm still not convinced that an SLR makes sense with a digital camera, since, if you're looking at the electronic image in the viewfinder or on a screen, you shouldn't need all the extra primitive mirror-flipping hardware. The only slight problem may be a slight latency.

The way I have always understood it....the larger the sensor, the better the image. Combine that with a GOOD quality lens ($$$$$) and it is hard to take bad pictures. I have downsized over the years and only have a Canon G7 right now.....still a little too heavy to use since I don't like carrying it with me in my pocket/bike. Tempted to go back to the SLR range, but since I am buying a new electric solid body mandolin (which I can barely justify to my wife)....no way I wouldn't feel extremely guilty buying a new expensive camera.

I have been a camera guy at different times in my life, but haven't been shooting actively since the kids got out of high school sport. We have a Canon point and shoot but we have a new granddaughter due soon, and decided to upgrade my camera.

I have a Canon Elan IIe (film) with lenses/flash, etc so I wanted to stick with Canon. After some research I ordered a Rebel XSi (Body only) for about $580. I looked at the just released T1i but the $900 price (which includes a lense I don't want) seemed like too much of a premium. I'm sure it will come down in time, but with the new grandbaby due soon... I can't wait!!! The XSi is about 12 MP, vs 15MP for the T1I, though the T1i can shoot some movies. Also the T1i has an ISO capability of 3200 vs 1600 on the XSi. Those are the major differences.

As far as better pics, the point and shoots do a nice job, and as you mentioned Al, size does matter in that the P&S are compact and easier to have with you.

-AJ

.... Also, if I had a larger camera, would I had it with me as often?

My wouldn't. The Canon A560 is the first camera I've carried virtually everywhere.

If ever a thread needed pictures....

I wouldn't have gotten this bug shot the other day with my big camera which is living in a drawer. BTW, it's a very old 35mm Yashica.

[edit: yes, I do consider upgrading but staying within the very small category, haven't researched it yet.]

I wonder which is more important: the quality of the camera or how it is processed in the darkroom or by computer manipulation.

Attachments

• IMG_5323.jpg
    IMG_5323.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Joe, the Cannon A560 series is highly rated and very versatile, especially considering the price (~$120). I have an older A510 I've had for 3+ years and I really like it.

Joe, the Cannon A560 series is highly rated and very versatile, especially considering the price (~$120). I have an older A510 I've had for 3+ years and I really like it.

Thanks, I hate to spend time researching these things. Yeah, that's about what I paid for it (and it included all the "film" I will ever need ;)). Added a battery recharger and expensive laptop, and I'm all set.

I might consider upgrading to something that holds a charge longer but for now I'm just training myself to carry extra batteries. btw, when it indicates low battery charge or says "change battery," I just fiddle with the batteries or reverse the two of them and it's good for a lot more pictures.

Canon seems to be popular. My son does freelance photography and carries his cameras to some pretty remote places. This is his current equipment.
Canon 50D DSLR body
Canon 40D DSLR body
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 lens
Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 lens
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-3.5 lens

He also uses a smaller Canon SD1000 for aerial shots and movies from an RC helicopter.

Got a Canon SD1100 IS digital a few months ago. It has more features than I have figured out so far. Before that my digital camera was a five dollar special from goodwill.

Have several Pentax and a Yashicas taking up space someplace in the house.

I like the digital, immediate satisfaction in looking at the picture, if no good delete and retake.

There was a thread a while back, i believe started by Martha on which digital camera to g get. I seem to recall several folks on this forum have Canons.

Got a Canon SD1100 IS digital a few months ago. It has more features than I have figured out so far. Before that my digital camera was a five dollar special from goodwill.

Have several Pentax and a Yashicas taking up space someplace in the house.

I like the digital, immediate satisfaction in looking at the picture, if no good delete and retake.

There was a thread a while back, i believe started by Martha on which digital camera to g get. I seem to recall several folks on this forum have Canons.

I am considering buying either the Canon SD1100 IS (or its successor the 1200 IS). How do you like yours? I am looking for something small and light, and I am wondering how you like the picture quality. Other option (with very good reviews from professionals) is the the SD990 IS, but it's slightly larger and more expensive.

Al,
I carry a Canon SD800is in the car - battery life is amazing, it sits for weeks at a time between uses and gives hundreds of shots per charge. Really like the compact size as it makes me more likely to have it when i want it. Happy with detail and color resolution. Only down side is that it has a tendency to render straight lines at the edge of shots as curves. Not a huge irritant, but a definite small camera bugaboo. Note curb in this shot:
">
The sidewalk actually IS curved!

On our recent trip to Utah we took along a Canon A1000. For the most part it took good pictures. It has only two AA batteries, and if you used flash it seemed to go through the fairly fast. The other thing was the zoom. I had a Canon S2 IS with a 10x optical zoom. It went out a weak before the trip. I have been looking at the ultra zoom cameras. My requirements are 20x or more zoom, AA batteries, stabilized, sd card. Fuji has on that is close and under $200. However, now that the trip is over, I am willing to wait.

My wouldn't. The Canon A560 is the first camera I've carried virtually everywhere.

I know someone with this camera and it's a great camera especially for the price. IMO, Canon cameras tend to make people's skin look better than other brands. Skin tends too look less shiny/oily with a bit more complexion.

I wonder which is more important: the quality of the camera or how it is processed in the darkroom or by computer manipulation.

Camera vs post-processing technique probably depends on the circumstance. What's more important IMO, is good composition. It's what separates professionals from people like me (along with some other factors) :D

I almost always run Paintshop Pro's Photo Fix on my A560's photos, and sometimes the "sharpen."

Here's an example (the Polish woman in the campsite next to us who was totally unperturbed by the grazing buffalo):

Straight from the camera

After photofix

After sharpen

Open these in three separate firefox tabs and jump between them to see the difference.

Al, I could see no difference whatsoever between the photfix and sharpened versions. You sure you didn't duplicate the two?

You didn't see the one of the bison charging the woman('s credit card)? And this one photo shopped with the bison?

Attachments

• king--kong-420-420x0.jpg
    king--kong-420-420x0.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 2
Al, I could see no difference whatsoever between the photfix and sharpened versions. You sure you didn't duplicate the two?

The second looks slightly sharper if you look at some of the smaller objects (like the hair on the buffalo's head). The size of the pictures was probably decreased to fit on the web but I bet there's a more noticeable difference in the full size originals.

Al, you always have some really cool pictures. It looks like Photo Fix adjusted the exposure and maybe increased the contrast a bit?

How do you like yours? I am looking for something small and light, and I am wondering how you like the picture quality.

I really like it. It is small enough to stick in most any pocket. Simple enough for me. Seems to do well with its automatic features. DW just happened to bring in a flower, so some pics attached.

Edit Add: These pics are as uploaded from the camera, no massaging/messing with to imporve or modify in any way.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I have a Nikon CoolPix for a snapshot camera, and a Canon Digital Rebel for the flexibility of fancy exposures and additional lense capability.

I prefer the Canon, but it IS more of a PITA to carry...

I really like it. It is small enough to stick in most any pocket. Simple enough for me. Seems to do well with its automatic features. DW just happened to bring in a flower, so some pics attached.

Edit Add: These pics are as uploaded from the camera, no massaging/messing with to imporve or modify in any way.

Thanks, the one complaint people seemed to have with the SD1100 was that the picture quality was extremely poor in low-light conditions. But your 2 pictures don't look bad at all! I love the look of the camera and its tiny size, but I still had doubt about picture quality. But not anymore... It's right back at the top of my list.

Here is my situation (what I just put on a Photography Forum elsewhere) if anyone wants to weigh in:

Been reading here for months thank you and I could use some advice, first post, be gentle. Sorry for the length, I was trying to be organized/concise (and failed).

Deciding between a D90 and D5000, and what lens(es)? After months of research, I had planned to buy a D5000. Recently, the D90 has edged out the D5000, but it will be one or the other. Please shoot down my assumptions wherever I’m off track. All responses are welcome, short or long.

Background:
· Had a film SLR (Nikon N2000) w 35-200mm Tokina lens. I shot in Aperture- or Shutter-Priority at least 95% of the time, I can’t remember ever shooting Full Auto or Full Manual. Didn’t use flash often. Never used a tripod (younger and steadier then).
· Bought a digital P&S (Coolpix 800) about 8 years ago. Used AUTO or Scene Modes.
· DSLR’s have reached the point where IQ and features/$ make them within my budget and desirable to us again.
· I shoot mostly outdoors, but rarely “landscapes.” More often a mix of places/sightseeing, boating/action (not high velocity), people/pet/animal pictures, and the occasional close-up (flowers, eBay listing photos).
· I am strictly an amateur who wants to take accurate, sharp (still) pictures. I have been known to enlarge favorites up to 32”x36” when I get a really good/memorable pic.
· I don’t have a firm budget, but I am thinking less than $1,500 for everything: camera body, lens(es), bag, 2 filters and maybe a tripod and/or flash. Less $ is fine too.

Factors that originally led me to narrow it to the D5000 (vs the D90):
· Very good image quality (equal to the D90/D300) at a lower price.
· 19 scene modes has a lot of appeal to us (misplaced?).
· Small, thought my wife would be more comfortable handling it.

What has subsequently led me to favor the D90:
· My wife handled the D90 w/18-105VR and didn’t think it felt “too big” for her at all.
· Kit lens looks like a better choice, certainly more likely as a walkaround if not only lens.
· Seems to be built better, I would expect to keep this camera for 10 years or more. It will be handled with care, but it will be used outdoors including boating.
· I like the D90’s viewfinder, but if I hadn’t seen it, I’d probably have been perfectly happy with the D5000 viewfinder. Only time I would use live view would be for close-ups.
· I like the D90’s larger, hi-res monitor, don’t really need the D5000 “flippy screen.” However, I wear reading glasses so when I don’t have them handy, any monitor will be fuzzy to me anyway (thank goodness for the viewfinder diopter adjustment).
· Concern: Coming from a P&S and never using Full Manual even in my film SLR days, having all those scene modes on the D5000 has some appeal vs having to know all the various settings for most of them with the D90. I will occasionally shoot Sunset, Beach/Snow, Dusk/Dawn, Pet Portrait, Candlelight & Autumn Colors. But I am thinking I could keep the base settings for all these conditions on a laminated card in my bag for the D90 when those situations arise in case I couldn’t remember them.

Lens choice:
· I’d like to have one lens, two at most. So primes are out, number of lenses and cost.
· An 18-55VR lens (D5000 kit lens) alone won’t need my needs. So I was planning on buying a 55-200VR too – reducing the potential savings of a D5000 package. Neither lens alone suits my primary needs (I would rarely shoot as low as 18, nor as high as 200). The Nikon 24-120VR appears to be the best choice on paper, but it’s a little pricey (heavy?) and has not fared that well in reviews I’ve read.
· The 18-105VR may be the best compromise for me. With the larger diameter, I assume IQ will be as good or better than an 18-55VR or 55-200VR – although that’s not always clear from online reviews. It’s confusing to read so many disparate reviews on the various lenses – I wish I knew which sources to listen to. I have seen the 18-55VR and the 18-105VR praised and trashed online!
· I am a little concerned that none of the lenses I am talking about are “good enough” for either camera, but I just can’t spend $1,000’s on lenses.

Other:
· In terms of image quality, is there anything the D5000 will do that the D90 can’t? Or any other downside to the D90 (vs the D5000) aside from higher cost (inferior dust reduction)?
· I know I can buy body only. A D5000 body with the 18-105 lens might be a good compromise for me, but the 18-105 looks like it might overwhelm the smallish D5000.
· The video capability has some appeal (which ruled out most competitors), and I will use it for fun. But I realize it’s very limited and that it’s the same on both cameras.
· I do not have any legacy gear, lenses, etc. – starting from scratch.
· Even with the P&S, I found I could never remember all the features without reviewing the manual. I’d rediscover features after not using the camera for extended periods.

The answer to the "Best Camera" is the same as I give for "what is the best handgun for carry", and that is it's the one you will have with you when you need it. The best pictures happen unexpectedly lots of times. So a camera that can be with you all the time is better than a $3000 Nikon D700 and preferably one that is not a like boat anchor hanging around you neck.

This is what I purchased based on a recommendation from a Disney Studios photographer. Great Camera-Great Price.

It takes professional quality pics in almost every condition.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-FX1...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Midpack, that's one heck of a thorough thought process and it arrives exactly where I did but I got there because I saw a sale on the D90 with the 18-105 DX VR lens. Nice compromise lens.

A nice comparison to consider:
I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel XTi and two lenses. 18-55 and 55-300. And it is a very capable and high quality image camera. A newer model XSi is 12.2 MP and $849 at B&H. Nice deal.

But as far as the D90 and D5000, those were exactly the conclusions I reached. D90 was a slight winner.

Here is my situation (what I just put on a Photography Forum elsewhere) if anyone wants to weigh in:

Been reading here for months thank you and I could use some advice, first post, be gentle. Sorry for the length, I was trying to be organized/concise (and failed).

Deciding between a D90 and D5000, and what lens(es)? After months of research, I had planned to buy a D5000. Recently, the D90 has edged out the D5000, but it will be one or the other. Please shoot down my assumptions wherever I’m off track. All responses are welcome, short or long.

Background:
· Had a film SLR (Nikon N2000) w 35-200mm Tokina lens. I shot in Aperture- or Shutter-Priority at least 95% of the time, I can’t remember ever shooting Full Auto or Full Manual. Didn’t use flash often. Never used a tripod (younger and steadier then).
· Bought a digital P&S (Coolpix 800) about 8 years ago. Used AUTO or Scene Modes.
· DSLR’s have reached the point where IQ and features/$ make them within my budget and desirable to us again.
· I shoot mostly outdoors, but rarely “landscapes.” More often a mix of places/sightseeing, boating/action (not high velocity), people/pet/animal pictures, and the occasional close-up (flowers, eBay listing photos).
· I am strictly an amateur who wants to take accurate, sharp (still) pictures. I have been known to enlarge favorites up to 32”x36” when I get a really good/memorable pic.
· I don’t have a firm budget, but I am thinking less than $1,500 for everything: camera body, lens(es), bag, 2 filters and maybe a tripod and/or flash. Less $ is fine too.

Factors that originally led me to narrow it to the D5000 (vs the D90):
· Very good image quality (equal to the D90/D300) at a lower price.
· 19 scene modes has a lot of appeal to us (misplaced?).
· Small, thought my wife would be more comfortable handling it.

What has subsequently led me to favor the D90:
· My wife handled the D90 w/18-105VR and didn’t think it felt “too big” for her at all.
· Kit lens looks like a better choice, certainly more likely as a walkaround if not only lens.
· Seems to be built better, I would expect to keep this camera for 10 years or more. It will be handled with care, but it will be used outdoors including boating.
· I like the D90’s viewfinder, but if I hadn’t seen it, I’d probably have been perfectly happy with the D5000 viewfinder. Only time I would use live view would be for close-ups.
· I like the D90’s larger, hi-res monitor, don’t really need the D5000 “flippy screen.” However, I wear reading glasses so when I don’t have them handy, any monitor will be fuzzy to me anyway (thank goodness for the viewfinder diopter adjustment).
· Concern: Coming from a P&S and never using Full Manual even in my film SLR days, having all those scene modes on the D5000 has some appeal vs having to know all the various settings for most of them with the D90. I will occasionally shoot Sunset, Beach/Snow, Dusk/Dawn, Pet Portrait, Candlelight & Autumn Colors. But I am thinking I could keep the base settings for all these conditions on a laminated card in my bag for the D90 when those situations arise in case I couldn’t remember them.

Lens choice:
· I’d like to have one lens, two at most. So primes are out, number of lenses and cost.
· An 18-55VR lens (D5000 kit lens) alone won’t need my needs. So I was planning on buying a 55-200VR too – reducing the potential savings of a D5000 package. Neither lens alone suits my primary needs (I would rarely shoot as low as 18, nor as high as 200). The Nikon 24-120VR appears to be the best choice on paper, but it’s a little pricey (heavy?) and has not fared that well in reviews I’ve read.
· The 18-105VR may be the best compromise for me. With the larger diameter, I assume IQ will be as good or better than an 18-55VR or 55-200VR – although that’s not always clear from online reviews. It’s confusing to read so many disparate reviews on the various lenses – I wish I knew which sources to listen to. I have seen the 18-55VR and the 18-105VR praised and trashed online!
· I am a little concerned that none of the lenses I am talking about are “good enough” for either camera, but I just can’t spend $1,000’s on lenses.

Other:
· In terms of image quality, is there anything the D5000 will do that the D90 can’t? Or any other downside to the D90 (vs the D5000) aside from higher cost (inferior dust reduction)?
· I know I can buy body only. A D5000 body with the 18-105 lens might be a good compromise for me, but the 18-105 looks like it might overwhelm the smallish D5000.
· The video capability has some appeal (which ruled out most competitors), and I will use it for fun. But I realize it’s very limited and that it’s the same on both cameras.
· I do not have any legacy gear, lenses, etc. – starting from scratch.
· Even with the P&S, I found I could never remember all the features without reviewing the manual. I’d rediscover features after not using the camera for extended periods.

Lens choice:

Midpack, here's a few things that might be worth considering about the lenses:

1. I believe the D90 and D5000 have a 1.5 crop factor. Say you have an 18mm lens on a film camera. That 18mm lens is going to be more like 27mm on your D90. Crop Factor

2. Save on the body, spend on the glass (the lenses). The lenses is what can make the real difference in a shot. This is advise I've heard but don't follow because lenses are so expensive!

3. Consider the aperture size when your looking at lenses. A larger aperture will give you more bokah. It will also be better at shooting in low light situation. You'll notice that the price skyrockets when that f stop gets down under 2 :(

4. Do the lenses (or cameras) have image stability? That's an important feature when you zoom or use a slow shutter speed.

I haven't really looked into the lenses but if it was me, I'd probably start with the 18-55mm kit lens. And then add on as needed. I think being able to go down to a 18mm focal length would be a nice option for certain landscape shots. The lens is also super cheap and has received good reviews on Amazon - Amazon.com: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics

Back
Top Bottom