Join Early Retirement Today

Cameron Frye's family home for sale - I want it!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cameron Frye's family home for sale - I want it!

I'm probably deranged, but one of the classic comedies of all time IMO (helps I've lived near Chicago for 20 years and recognize almost everywhere in the movie). Gotta have the house, need to start a $ collection...
Quote:
'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'

One unforgettable character in a movie full of them: the steel-and-glass manse that was home to Ferris' best friend, Cameron Frye.
Not only was it a cool backdrop, it was the site of one pivotal scene when Frye's father's Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder -- borrowed for a day of fun and frolic in Chicago -- goes through the garage's plate glass window and into a ravine.
No actual windows were harmed in the making of the film. The Highland Park, Ill., home will soon be on the market with an asking price of $1.65 million, says Meladee Hughes, broker-associate with Coldwell Banker's Gold Coast office in Chicago.
The main house, which boasts more than 3,000 square feet and wasn't seen in the film, was designed in 1953 by architect A. James Speyer and features removable walls, she says. The 1,300-square-foot pavilion, built 20 years later in the same midcentury modern style, was the site used in the movie, says Hughes.
For the Ferrari scene, a mock-up car without gas was pushed out the window -- which had been replaced with specially designed Hollywood glass, she says. Of the 10 cameras rolling, only one caught the action, says Hughes, "so they were lucky."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Go ahead, you can have it. That house does nothing for me! Imagine the heating/cooling costs with all that glass. And no privacy, either. And removable walls? Oh hey, THAT's how I'd like to spend a Saturday.

(caveat: never saw the movie)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Administrator

That would be a cooool e-r.org clubhouse. Who's bringing the nachos?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(caveat: never saw the movie)
You've never seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off? You've been deprived!

And the pic is the garage believe it or not...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Administrator

More pics here : Ben Rose Home by A. James Speyer and David Haid | SwipeLife
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Notice that the price went down from $2.3 million (in Janet's 2009 link), to $1.65 million now. That's a 35% drop! And imagine, some say that the wealthy aren't bearing their fair share of our economic woes.

As for the house, I'd rather have my own modest home (which is good because I don't have an extra $1.65 million lying around).

By now, that movie is probably on TV so if I see it, I'll check it out, thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote