Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

can being multi-lingual be really helpful when looking for a job?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

can being multi-lingual be really helpful when looking for a job?

Is it really that helpful?

I'm asking because I'm learning Japanese now, and I am refreshing myself with Vietnamese and Spanish. I hope to have Japanese down (enough to pass my classes with an A) by May 2009. To be (or act) natural will take alot more practice and more time, but this is a way for me to get a slight bump in my E-3 pay.

Is it going to help me as far as looking for a job (in and out of the military)? I'm currently in the USAF, and I'd like to open up as many opportunities as I can in the military. How would I be able to market myself to the leaders of the USAF and let them know that I can translate? I could care less where I get stationed in the world as long as I can contribute and use my language skills. Heck I'll pick up Arabic if I have to.

Anyone in and out of the military is welcome to post their opinions. I've always been told that if you start volunteering you might hate the extra responsibility because now you are the go to guy. Being "that" guy can't be bad...or can it? I'm not trying to kiss butt (or should I?) but I'm just wanting to maximize my experiences in the military. As each day passes I keep meeting people who are content with what they have and don't have any plans or goals to look forward to. I just don't want to be stuck in a rut.

Oh yeah...I've got 3 more hours before I get a BA in Liberal Studies
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Can it help, mais oui! I majored in French, my current boss is fluent in French and takes on the occasional French-speaking client. Even though I "speak French like a Spanish cow" I feel a lot of rapport with the French clients and handled most of the paperwork for one of them who remains one of my favorite clients.

But the real reason I was hired has more to do with opera. Potential boss' wife is from Tbilisi via Tel Aviv. When they were looking for a new employee I had many conversations with her about opera and when the subject of Russian operas came up, I couldn't stop my eyes from lighting up. Don't know many words in Russian, but i kinda like the music .
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

French....ooooooo laaaaa laaaaa.......

In TX and prolly everywhere else, Spanish is great to know.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

English-only movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Article II, Section 9, of the Florida Constitution provides that "English is the official language of the State of Florida." This provision was adopted in 1988 by a vote following an Initiative Petition.
regardless, here are some of the 600 or so miami-area jobs currently advertised on careerbuilders.com:

Bilingual Field Nurse Case Manager (RN) – Work From Home!! GENEX...Puerto Rico and Canada. We are currently seeking a Bilingual (...

Job type: Full-Time Employee | Pay: $10.00 - $12.00/hour
...private physician practices, hospitals and medical centers. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred. AMP can suit any employment need... ......

Job type: Full-Time Employee
...Experience Necessary) 150 + Bilingual Customer Service Representatives...reimbursement!! Hiring 150+ bilingual customer service

Job type: Full-Time Employee | Pay: $9.50 - $11.50/hour
Staffing Now, Inc. is seeking qualified Bilingual Customer Service Representatives with 2+ years of customer service...

Job type: Full-Time Employee | Pay: $17.00/hour
...Real Estate firm looking to hire a bright and organized Bilingual Executive Secretary to screen phone calls, assist with tenant... ...

Job type: Full-Time Employee | Pay: $40k - $55k/year
...legal assistant to work for 2 attorneys. Candidate MUST be bilingual (English/Spanish). Candidate will be responsible for drafting......

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

In TX and prolly everywhere else, Spanish is great to know.
That reminds me, I've been meaning to draw up a chart: How California is just like Texas: 1) Spanish; 2) High-tech; 3); 4); 118); etc.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Will your chart include chiggers?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Will your chart include chiggers?
Help! Help! Calling all Californians! Anyone seen a chigger? The Texans are at it again. [I haven't seen a chigger or 17-year locust since I left the Midwest.] Help! This could be our Alamo.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Nope, no chiggers here. The only major threats are rattlesnakes, hordes of mosquitoes and democrats.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Nope, no chiggers here. The only major threats are rattlesnakes, hordes of mosquitoes and democrats.
Add to list:

Republicans (last time I looked, our Gubernator is one)
Wildfires
Mudslides
Drought
bad box wine

To get off the thread hijack, being bilingual wasn't a requirement for my job, but I can think of no single skill that would have increased my efficiency, efficacy or promotability more than fluency in Spanish would have (given that I already had most of the other skills nailed down pretty well). I'm starting Spanish classes soon so that I can rectify that.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Republicans (last time I looked, our Gubernator is one)
Yeah but he's married to a the top democrat family.

I think we just like putting one in as governor because we know they'll take the job, then we can watch them twist in the wind.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Probably because Gray Davis left us no choice. Maybe we will get lucky and that San Fran mayor will run for Gov
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Ninja View Post
Is it really that helpful?
I'm asking because I'm learning Japanese now, and I am refreshing myself with Vietnamese and Spanish. I hope to have Japanese down (enough to pass my classes with an A) by May 2009. To be (or act) natural will take alot more practice and more time, but this is a way for me to get a slight bump in my E-3 pay.
Heck yeah. You can write your ticket anywhere in Waikiki with Japanese & Vietnamese. Visitor services, hotel management, court/legal assistance, social services... you name it. NSA & CIA. There's also a guy on this board who may contact you about contract translation services for his budding business.

Quote:
Is it going to help me as far as looking for a job (in and out of the military)? I'm currently in the USAF, and I'd like to open up as many opportunities as I can in the military. How would I be able to market myself to the leaders of the USAF and let them know that I can translate? I could care less where I get stationed in the world as long as I can contribute and use my language skills. Heck I'll pick up Arabic if I have to.
IIRC the traditional way to document your language skills is via the standardized DoD language proficiency tests. Those scores become a part of your electronic service record, which may pop up your name on a number of contingency screenings.

An old shipmate, Pete Snyder, spent his first tour on a ship stationed in Yokosuka. His Japanese girlfriend upgraded to spouse when they moved to California, where she (by her own admission) became thoroughly Americanized as well as a feminist. He continued to improve his spoken & written Japanese skills. When Pete left the service they took a KPMG contract in Hawaii but soon moved to a KPMG office in Japan. When last I heard from him he was working at a Japanese head-hunter firm recruiting Americans for Japanese corporations and vice versa.

Japanese friends occasionally tell him, especially when the sake is flowing, that it really weirds them out to hear fluency coming from his gaijin lips.

Quote:
Oh yeah...I've got 3 more hours before I get a BA in Liberal Studies
Excellent, the commissioning quotas are usually wide-open in October for the new fiscal year!

When will you get your degree, and have you started your package yet?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Alright, since nobofy has done it and its low hanging fruit....

I had a girlfriend that was bilingual. Very hot.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well if we're stooping that low, then I would have guessed that she was a cunning... eh, never mind.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes! And the International Club was a well-kept campus secret. Very few other Americans hung out there.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I think there is/will be a huge demand for American/Westerns who are fluent in Mandarin.
Obviously a lot of Chinese learn English but the one guy I know who study Chinese art in college is constantly making deals in China.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote