Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
I like to take a morning walk, work in the garden, and then go make art. But, I am the quintessential napper.
Oh - wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Math
Foreign languages
Singing
Taming cats (there seems to be a team of us on ER.org)
Photography
Painting
Standardized tests
Being friendly

Here's a little cardinal I painted for a friend's mom as a thank-you gift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cardinal.jpg (85.7 KB, 2 views)

Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
Target shooting
Kindly let me know if I ever piss you off, and please give me a 20 minute head start before loading.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
I like to take a morning walk, work in the garden, and then go make art. But, I am the quintessential napper.
That is excellent! I love the sky and sun.

Ha
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
May this be an exception to the rule that I'm good at killing threads.
Hi there, CJ the "Thread Terminator".
Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

How could I forget? I am truly losing my mind!

I can (could?) pass a huge kidney stone, the same carat size that affluent women typically proudly wear on their fingers. All done with no pain killer, which is for sissies, and it took 2 weeks.

And I even posted a picture of it too (and people say I never posted any photo ).
Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #68
Administrator

NW-Bound, I think you are really good at passing kidney stones!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #69

I'm a pretty good cook, great with the smoker and the BBQ grill. Used to be a good gardener but I have no dirt to play in until I move back to CA.

R
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hi there, CJ the "Thread Terminator".
Let me try this again while you upload a photo.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Whoa! That's really mean! What is it that I bring out the worst in women? No less than 3 other women posters, one even a mod, have pulled their guns on me.

What have I done?

Well, add that one to the list of what I can do: Make women mad!

PS. Just kidding, like always
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whoa! That's really mean!....
Not sure which post you are referring to, I put a grinny on mine. No meanness intended.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
NW-Bound, I think you are really good at passing kidney stones!
He may have been "good" at it. But I hope he never has to repeat the "skill".

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! Me neither. Gosh, what an ordeal! A few more of these and, excuse me, but I would feel, er, all hollowed out.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks! Me neither. Gosh, what an ordeal! A few more of these and, excuse me, but I would feel, er, all hollowed out.
Well, considering that some older men do have to go through such a "hollowing out" procedure - even though the laser version now is apparently less awful - maybe you won't have such a problem in the future.

Audrey
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

So THAT's where that "Savage Ice" jewelry comes from

Quote:
I can (could?) pass a huge kidney stone, the same carat size that affluent women typically proudly wear on their fingers. ).
Savage Ice Collection round diamond bracelet w/ 5 rough diamonds (over 10.50 cts)
Savage Ice Collection rough diamond circle pendant w 7 large & lucky rough diamonds (app. 16.05 cts)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cooking
Fixing things
Working on engines of all types
Making DW and kids laugh (and sometimes other people!)
Drinking beer at parties
Getting up early (unless I've been drinking beer at parties)
Going to bed early (unless I've been drinking beer at parties)
Grinding my teeth (especially after drinking beer at parties)
Growing grass
Mowing grass
Cleaning when I'm in the mood to do it
Doing what DW tells me to do

Things I want to get good at but am not yet:
Surfing-- taking way longer to get really good due to not enough practice I guess.
Running, working out-- started this to keep in shape for surfing since the surf here in Texas is pretty sporatic to say the least. I really hate running while I do it but it makes me feel good a few hours afterwards. Also work out on my crazy paddling maching to keep the arms and shoulders in shape.

Things I probably will never be good at:
Golf-- not willing to take the time to practice enough evidently and I don't enjoy looking stupid out there hitting every tree on the course and having 70 year old ladies play through because I'm so slow. It's really embarrassing to me that I can't hit that #$%&@ ball straight.

I notice only one person said he was really good at golf overall. Maybe that's why I don't want to put in the time to do it, because I hear so many folks say they have been playing for years and still suck. I hate to suck at stuff, and if I do I generally give it up and go to the next activity. So I guess I'm good at quitting as well!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I think putting the time in is crucial. You can never get really good at something until you do it so often you can almost do it in your sleep. Malcolm Gladwell makes this point in Outliers and calls it the 10,000 hour rule. He notes that (for example) the Beatles did not simply burst on the scene in 1964: they spent many nights honing their music in obscure Hamburg nightclubs. And why is residency training at least three years? 3300 hours x 3 = 10,000.....when I finished residency (5 years), I was at my most competent ever as a physician. (It's been downhill from there).....
Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
...when I finished residency (5 years), I was at my most competent ever as a physician. (It's been downhill from there).....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I think putting the time in is crucial. You can never get really good at something until you do it so often you can almost do it in your sleep. Malcolm Gladwell makes this point in Outliers and calls it the 10,000 hour rule. He notes that (for example) the Beatles did not simply burst on the scene in 1964: they spent many nights honing their music in obscure Hamburg nightclubs.
I don't always agree with Gladwell, but on this point I believe he nailed it. I've been trying to explain this to my kids, with gradual (and begrudged) success. You have to have a passion about something you want to be really good at, and then devote yourself by putting in the time to learn by doing. Which of course means lots of failing from which your passion for the subject will fire you to go back and try again, again, and again. Adapt, overcome and succeed.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #80

Hmmm - knitting, playing badminton, snow skiing, swimming, analyzing systems, writing technical information for non-technical people, presenting the information, understanding strategy to tactics processes, cooking, driving fast :-), traveling - am able to go anywhere and figure out what to do and where to do it - does involve some research and practice over the years, stripping marketing veneer from product specifications and breaking it down to a functional system diagram :-)

Even the above, I may think I'm good at it, but there are people who are much better than I - however, man's reach should exceed his grasp, so honing and practicing and knowing there is another level of attainment helps.

Tags
can do, good at, talent