Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For anyone who's nose is good, my guess is you will never get the smell out.

You may habituate to it, whereas any new passengers will probably notice.

I assume you are leaving all the windows open as often as possible.

Reminds me of an ad shown in one of Jay Leno's headline segments:

Queen size mattress. Slight urine smell.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
By any chance, do you have insurance that might cover this "accident?"
No, I don't have "full coverage." Just the basic required by law here.

I'll try to find the enzymes first and see if that helps. Failing that I can try to go to some junkyards and see if I can find a matching interior. Estonia has one of the highest accident rates in Europe (mostly alcohol related) and my car is a fairly common model here so I might have a shot that way.

I do like the car and really want to keep it. If I sold it I'd probably replace it with the same model of car. I specifically bought it as a family car because of it's good Euro NCAP crash test scores, safety features and reliability ratings. And it cost me the same as the car I sold when I left the States so I broke even on it.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow .. another reason not to have a pet.

Had a cat that went off the deep end in her old age ... started peeing in every corner of one room (who needs a litter box). Sooo after she passed I ripped up 3 levels of flooring ... still smelled. Ripped out the walls around the corners. Spread baking soda in the cavity and refinished to room. No more smell ... and NO MORE PETS.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I can try to go to some junkyards and see if I can find a matching interior.
Just hope the driver didnt crash it because he hated the funny smell in the car.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

As I'm reading this thread, I'm also watching 'Dirty Jobs' on the Discovery Channel. Looks like a perfect job for the host of the show.
Dirty Jobs : Slide Show : Discovery Channel
Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #26

Here is the culprit that caused all the mess.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Now that is a cool looking dog. Love the north/south ears and the casual but aloof sitting posture.

Worth the poo crisis? Who knows, but certainly a dog for the ages.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post

Had a cat that went off the deep end in her old age ... started peeing in every corner of one room (who needs a litter box). Sooo after she passed I ripped up 3 levels of flooring ... still smelled. Ripped out the walls around the corners. Spread baking soda in the cavity and refinished to room. No more smell ... and NO MORE PETS.
I don't have a pet, either. I have thought of getting one when my life is more conducive to providing the time and money a pet deserves. But somehow, it never seems like the right time. After reading this, I'm glad!

Maybe I'll just buy a soft, cuddly stuffed animal.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #29

Quote:

Oh, come on. These are just some of the endearing things pets do to give you something to talk
about long after they are gone. Near the end of my Doberman's life at age 15 (back in 2000),
she crapped in my bed nearly every night for several months (fortunately very hard, easy to clean
ones), but she had slept next to me her whole life, and I was not about to kick her out when she
was getting weak and feeble.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Oh, come on. These are just some of the endearing things pets do to give you something to talk
about long after they are gone. Near the end of my Doberman's life at age 15 (back in 2000),
she crapped in my bed nearly every night for several months (fortunately very hard, easy to clean
ones), but she had slept next to me her whole life, and I was not about to kick her out when she
And I thought I was a dog lover.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #31

CycleInvestor,
I'll be sure to tell DH that story! It will make him feel better about the lengths we've gone to for ours and the cleanups we've endured at the ends!

Trek, that dog is adorable! What a cutie and well worth the trouble! Is that a typical look for Estonian dogs?
When my foster failure Georgia went to the vet for the first time, she wet all over the back seat. I used Nature's Miracle. I buy big bottles of it. It even works on cat pee. Fortunately, dog pee is much easier than cat pee. If you can get that, I'd recommend it. Do you have someone in the states who could mail you some?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
CycleInvestor,
...the lengths we've gone to for ours and the cleanups we've endured at the ends!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I remember our doberman. Such a loving dog that enjoyed playing so much. I havent had a dog since him but someday down the road Im sure we will get another.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #34

I think this thread gets the grossest post of the year award!

i vote for cutting out the interior/foam and replacing - just thinking about it would make it "smell" to me...you could send it to one of the custom shops in southern cali and they can pimp it up for you...hehe
Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Trek, that dog is adorable! What a cutie and well worth the trouble! Is that a typical look for Estonian dogs?
Thanks! She is a joy to have. We rescued her from the city animal shelter.
There are all kinds of dogs here, but you do tend to find many of the mixed breeds seem to have some German Shepherd in them. German Shepherd's are very popular here, mostly as guard dogs. But if you're looking for a purebred there are breeders for about any breed you'd want.

There is only one true official Estonian Breed and that is the Estonian Hound.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #36

Quote:

Had the same problem. Ripped up the carpet and foam, cleaned the floor multiple times with enzymatic cleaner (also tried Clorox, pine cleaner, etc.). Nothing worked! I can understand why you had to pull up the flooring and walls. We eventually found something that worked...painted the floors and bottoms of the walls with Kilz primer for smoke damaged walls. That really did the trick!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - having lived thirty years in New Orleans - pet poo - reminds me of all the horrific fresh seafood forgot in hot car stories I heard over three decades.

Dog poop may a relative nit - although I only let them ride in my 250,000 mile four banger pickup(with rusty fender) in on special occasions - gotta watch the resale value - doncha know -

heh heh heh -
Old 12-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
And I thought I was a dog lover.
Dont look at me. I clean up the mystery spots with cognac.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote