Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If you stay in one of my places and have a guest over a week, I want a credit and criminal check.
How do you enforce that, exactly? (I am just curious. I have stayed for more than a week at friends' apartments and I don't think any of my friends thought of reporting, or having reported that.) When I was looking for an apartment in Niagara Falls, one company advertised the fact that they ran criminal checks as well as credit checks for all potential applicants. It sounded good at the time, but later on, I thought about visitors who were criminals.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
How do you enforce that, exactly?
It can be an evictable offense, although it is difficult for a landlord to enforce it. If I have a person's name I can generally tell if they are a criminal. A lease termination at the end of the lease is a fall-back solution. I have also sent the tenant a letter and raised the rent mid-lease due to the extra tenant. If they want to keep the guest they have to get a background check and pay more.

It is mostly a problem when single females bring in their shady boyfriends, although I had a case where a nephew was brought in, who was an ex-cop, and there was an incident.

The ex-cop bit off my tenants finger. According to the police report the "Defendant bit the tip of his left index finger off". It was only the last part at the knuckle, so not the entire finger. It was not able to be sewn back on.

Extra tenants are seldom good. Good tenants generally do not bring in extra people without asking. It's mostly the trash.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #23

Quote:
It is mostly a problem when single females bring in their shady boyfriends, although I had a case where a nephew was brought in, who was an ex-cop, and there was an incident.

The ex-cop bit off my tenants finger. According to the police report the "Defendant bit the tip of his left index finger off". It was only the last part at the knuckle, so not the entire finger. It was not able to be sewn back on.
WOW! You have some very interesting (and scary) stories to tell
Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #24

Quote:
WOW! You have some very interesting (and scary) stories to tell
I have rented to some real gems, when I was a Section 8 landlord. Private market rents only now. And better credit scores.

I rented to a murderer once. He was not a murderer (yet) when I rented to him. He was another long term guest. Real nice guy until he turned.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #25

Quote:
How do you enforce that, exactly? (I am just curious. I have stayed for more than a week at friends' apartments and I don't think any of my friends thought of reporting, or having reported that.) When I was looking for an apartment in Niagara Falls, one company advertised the fact that they ran criminal checks as well as credit checks for all potential applicants. It sounded good at the time, but later on, I thought about visitors who were criminals.
When it was our case it was easy. Our granny flat is in our backyard - and tenants have to cross our driveway to get to the gate. The car was parked in front.

We didn't get confrontational, just asked that if he was moving in, he'd need to sign a lease.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why couldn't a renter not obtain renter's insurance
Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

This also became an issue with what you would have called a "quality" tenant, with a high credit score. They were a couple with a teenage son from his first marriage. They had a baby while living in our townhouse, and at our next visit, a sister-in-law had appeared as a "babysitter." We had them add SIL to the lease at renewal, although we did not request a credit check.

These were the same people who installed locks on upstairs bedroom doors without asking. We only found out about the locks when the tenants went to China for a month (again, without telling us, even though it was in the lease that absences over 14 days were to be reported to us). We had to enter the townhouse to take care of something, and that's when we found the door to the master was locked so we couldn't get into it. They acted real unhappy when we asked for keys to those locks, although they complied. Acted like we were invading their privacy.

Quote:
It is mostly a problem when single females bring in their shady boyfriends,
Extra tenants are seldom good. Good tenants generally do not bring in extra people without asking. It's mostly the trash.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I guess I would never be your tenant. I pay the rent and if I want to be gone for a few weeks its none of your damn business.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Can Landlord do this?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #29

Can Landlord do this?

Quote:

I rented to a murderer once. He was not a murderer (yet) when I rented to him. He was another long term guest. Real nice guy until he turned.

OMG. At least he didn't become a murderer in your rental unit.

Since we already are talking about morbid stuff... Have you ever found anybody already dead in any of your units? I wonder how often that happens. I used to live alone and I sometimes wondered how long it would take for the landlord to be notified and come into my apartment if I happened to drop dead inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #30

Quote:
OMG. At least he didn't become a murderer in your rental unit.

Since we already are talking about morbid stuff... Have you ever found anybody already dead in any of your units? I wonder how often that happens. I used to live alone and I sometimes wondered how long it would take for the landlord to be notified and come into my apartment if I happened to drop dead inside.
Never a murder in my units, but I had a strangler, really just domestic abuse. Low credit score tenant with a high-score GF.

I had two tenants die from the same unit, a year apart, although it was at the hospital. female was 51 due to lung cancer and was a heavy smoker, male was 61 and had liver and kidney failure and was a heavy drinker. The MIL didn't expect him to make it that long... Kids were 18+, but had to go on their own after that.

My grandfather passed away in my own home though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess I would never be your tenant. I pay the rent and if I want to be gone for a few weeks its none of your damn business.
No one cares if you leave, it's when you bring in extra, un-screened tenants that matters. It would help to get give notification in case there is an emergency and the landlord has to get into the place.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I were a landlord, it absolutely would be my business, that is my property you are renting. Empty property is much more subject to all kinds of perils. A leaky pipe/roof that goes unnoticed, a break-in that is not reported that leads to other problems (something left open, pipes freeze, etc).

But like you say, if that doesn't sit well with you, don't sign that lease. But don't make the landlord out to be some kind of jerk for wanting to take care of their property.

BTW, I am not, and have never been a landlord.

-ERD50
Old 01-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My wife fee-managed high end apartments in Houston for decades before she retired. Her policy was that if a tenant wants to leave the unit unattended for a "few weeks", they were advised to let management know and leave a phone number where they could be reached. This way, security and management could keep an eye on the unit to check for possible vandalism, break ins, etc. It's to the renter's benefit to have that service.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Tenants always act like it's their home-n-castle, until something goes wrong.

Another time the tenant went away without telling us, and when he returned, we got a frantic call [his calls were always frantic] about a leak in the basement that had ruined the carpet. It was summer, and the pipe that takes condensation away from the a/c unit had clogged and water had been running into the basement for at least 2 weeks. If we'd known he was gone, we would have checked the townhouse during that period and found the water earlier.

The townhouse was subject to 3 levels of HOA (we paid the fees) plus county jurisdiction. Everything the tenant did without asking, caused us to get a threatening letter from one or more HOAs. In the case of the unannounced month-long vacation, we needed to remove a window a/c unit that the tenant had installed without asking (or consulting the HOA rules - which they knew about, since we informed them at leasing). We couldn't get into the master BR where the unit had been installed - because the tenant had put a lock on it, without giving us the key.

(Do you also think you don't have to follow HOA rules, because you're a tenant?)

Quote:
Old 01-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

If that happened, I'm sure we would only have found out when the neighbors complained to the HOA about odor.

We did have a 5-year tenancy, years ago, where the tenants were friendly, reasonable, welcomed our occasional visits,let us know when the house would be vacant, and in general, didn't get on their high horse about anything. We, in turn, kept their rent low (they were saving $$ to build a big beautiful house for their growing family).

We had another long-term tenancy where the tenants were Doctors, very religious ones who tended to the poor, and were poorly compensated themselves, I'm afraid. They, too, seemed to like us to drop in now and then. The other neighbors adored them. So things don't have to be adversarial.

Quote:
I used to live alone and I sometimes wondered how long it would take for the landlord to be notified and come into my apartment if I happened to drop dead inside.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Tenants always act like it's their home-n-castle, until something goes wrong.

Another time the tenant went away without telling us, and when he returned, we got a frantic call [his calls were always frantic] about a leak in the basement that had ruined the carpet. It was summer, and the pipe that takes condensation away from the a/c unit had clogged and water had been running into the basement for at least 2 weeks. If we'd known he was gone, we would have checked the townhouse during that period and found the water earlier.

The townhouse was subject to 3 levels of HOA (we paid the fees) plus county jurisdiction. Everything the tenant did without asking, caused us to get a threatening letter from one or more HOAs. In the case of the unannounced month-long vacation, we needed to remove a window a/c unit that the tenant had installed without asking (or consulting the HOA rules - which they knew about, since we informed them at leasing). We couldn't get into the master BR where the unit had been installed - because the tenant had put a lock on it, without giving us the key.

(Do you also think you don't have to follow HOA rules, because you're a tenant?)
Did I say anything about not having to follow HOA rules? No.

My point was that it is crazy to expect a tenant to notify the landlord if they are away for more than 14 days... you really expect me to inform the landlord if I'm away on vacation or a business trip for more than 14 days? Or I have a two week trip that gets extended for one reason or another? A month I could see but 14 days is not a long period of time.

The leak in the basement could have been unnoticed even if the tenant was there or had been gone away for a week, so I'm not sure what the point is.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

It's quibbling to say "this could have happened," in a particular instance. The point is, the lease is written with a few protections for the landlord, who is absorbing all the risk. It is hardly "crazy" to let the person who owns and maintains your home, know that it is going to be vacant for a couple of weeks or more. Heck, it makes me nervous to let our own home stand vacant for that long.

The flip side of the coin is the landlord who respects tenant "privacy" so assiduously, that the next time the house gets inspected, it's by the police! (For growing MJ, meth lab, etc.)

Quote:
D

The leak in the basement could have been unnoticed even if the tenant was there or had been gone away for a week, so I'm not sure what the point is.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did I say anything about not having to follow HOA rules? No.

My point was that it is crazy to expect a tenant to notify the landlord if they are away for more than 14 days... you really expect me to inform the landlord if I'm away on vacation or a business trip for more than 14 days? Or I have a two week trip that gets extended for one reason or another? A month I could see but 14 days is not a long period of time. ...

But if the HOA rules required a notice of absence, it's all the same thing.

So 14 days is "crazy", but 30 days is reasonable? That seems to be a rather odd distinction?

Quote:
Your statements are getting into crazy rationalization, IMO. Sure it could go unnoticed, we can paint any scenario we like. But the odds of it going unnoticed are going to be greater if the renter is gone, and the longer they are gone, the greater the odds for serious damage.

You can't eliminate all risk, and you need to draw the line somewhere. Again, if you think 14 days is 'crazy', but 30 days is reasonable, don't sign a lease with those restrictions. But don't expect a landlord/HOA to see things the same as you do either.

-ERD50
Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I refuse to sign. Go find another renter. I'll take my money elsewhere.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In my area renters are lined up 10 deep.

As in any business relationship if you don't like the terms don't sign.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Just to clarify what the landlord is asking for, he/she is only asking to be named as an additional insured on the tenant's policy. This is absolutely standard in insurance and not a big deal -- it allows the landlord to tender a third party liability claim against the tenant's insurance in case the landlord gets brought into a lawsuit arising out of the actions of the tenant.

IMO renter's insurance is a must for a renter. Cost is usually less than $300 a year and it would cover physical damage to your possessions in the event of a major loss such as a fire. Liability coverage is more of a bonus, but it would also cover the tenant for bodily injury or property damage to a third party (guest, mailman, etc.).

Better safe than sorry.