Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You are right, Brat. (But it won't stop Palmetto bugs! )
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Just buy screens, that's what we had... but we didn't have Palmetto bugs.

FYI, my father once tried to walk through a slider screen.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Well ain't that a b*tch! Just off the phone with the La Quinta police - seems someone put a rock through the front glass french door at the La Quinta house - the one behind a locked solid 5 1/2' wall. They then reached in and undid the lock and rifled the house. Sounds like the electronic stuff went away but the old tattered rugs and Mata Ortiz pottery were left behind. Hope so anyway. Tv and printer can be replaced with better stuff, old loved stuff is pretty irreplaceable.

Goes to show security short of iron bars is no match for a ruffian with a rock.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Insurance and a gun. Insurance to buy new stuff to replace the old stuff they took when you aren't there. Gun for when someone wants in when you are there.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, may stick something in the spare tire well the next trip down to keep in the house while we are there. Join the lawbreakers by having an unregistered pistola in California. Wouldn't leave it there to be stolen though. Thinking about it, probably just invest in a 2' chunk of iron pipe. No worries about a gun being stolen or breaking the California law (my carry permit is NFG down there).
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Haha,
- Obvious, but worth stating: Don't forget about the need for emergency egress when you're mulling this over. Gates/bars usually have a double-cylinder lock (need a key for both sides) since a would-be burglar can reach through and just flip the latch if it doesn't require a key. That means you'll be effectively locking yourself in the cage when you remove the key. Well made (and legal) window and door gates usually have hardware that allows for exit in a fire. Regardless, they'll be int he way when you want to use that door.
- I'd vote for the simple bin or dowel-in-the-track and a window sticker advertising an alarm system. A sturdy pin that goes into a pre-drilled hole in the track and the door not only keeps the door from being lifted out, it also prevents a burglar from using the weight of the door to close and then repeatedly slam it against the stop. Spending $1000 to super-secure the door with a gate or shutters when a wannabe burglar can reach a nearby window with use of a collapsible stepladder seems of little value. Spend the money instead on a simple wireless burglar alarm and you'll probably be more secure.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

+ samclem

a burglar alarm sticker and notice that there are night vision wireless cameras would juice it up a bit. Put a couple where they can be seen from a window but not accessible from the outside.

The goal here is to encourage them to go to a softer target.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Well ain't that a b*tch! Just off the phone with the La Quinta police - seems someone put a rock through the front glass french door at the La Quinta house - the one behind a locked solid 5 1/2' wall. They then reached in and undid the lock and rifled the house. Sounds like the electronic stuff went away but the old tattered rugs and Mata Ortiz pottery were left behind. Hope so anyway. Tv and printer can be replaced with better stuff, old loved stuff is pretty irreplaceable.

Goes to show security short of iron bars is no match for a ruffian with a rock.
Calmloki, really sorry to hear of this. Are you in Oregon? I guess you have a handyman down there who can make the repairs. But you likely have to go anyway to make police report and file your insurance claim.

And everyone, thank you for all your generous ideas and suggestions

Ha
Old 09-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Haha,
- Obvious, but worth stating: Don't forget about the need for emergency egress when you're mulling this over. Gates/bars usually have a double-cylinder lock (need a key for both sides) since a would-be burglar can reach through and just flip the latch if it doesn't require a key. That means you'll be effectively locking yourself in the cage when you remove the key.
+1 This is important. I have the usual New Orleans wrought ironwork door, protecting the side door off of my driveway. I am so concerned about fires and such, that I never lock it when I am in the house. I only lock it when I am out of town.

Some people hang the key to such doors on a hook near the door, but not too near. They attach the key ring to a big piece of wood or something so that it can be easily found in the dark..

I air out my house when I am at home and awake, and if necessary the ceiling fans can move all that fresh air around the house while I am sleeping.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 This is important. I have the usual New Orleans wrought ironwork door, protecting the side door off of my driveway. I am so concerned about fires and such, that I never lock it when I am in the house. I only lock it when I am out of town.

I air out my house when I am at home and awake, and if necessary the ceiling fans can move all that fresh air around the house while I am sleeping.
I am so used to sleeping with the on shore breeze coming up the hill I am not sure I could sleep without it.

Ha
Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Calmloki, really sorry to hear of this. Are you in Oregon? I guess you have a handyman down there who can make the repairs. But you likely have to go anyway to make police report and file your insurance claim.

Ha
Yup, we're up north for the summer. We have a police case# and will wait to get on site in a few months to be sure what all is missing, then do an amended report. The neighbor across the street is a contractor/handyman, waiting for a call back from him on securing the house and replacing the door glass - we worked together doing a neighborhood group mailbox stand and I feel good about him. Also have the gal's best high-school buddy 5 blocks away who has a house key - will ask that she take some pictures. There may be ~$2000 in damage and missing stuff - not sure it's worth doing an insurance claim - wouldn't want to get into the whole gone six months out of the year thing.

Thinking we may show it as an uninsured loss..... Just checked here:
Casualty & Theft Losses
Not looking good as an uninsured loss. The gal suggests that we show it as a "contribution to the less fortunate" on our taxes. Somehow I doubt Uncle will go for that idea.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took a look at MichaelB's article, and it says exactly what the PD told me to do: security bars and nails or screws in the track.

Another thing the PD had me do: The rope with the plastic handle in my garage that you use to manually pull the garage door up or down they said to cut off the plastic handle, so that a burglar outside the door could not catch that handle with a wire or whatever they use. You can leave the rope hang cause you might need to use it to pull the door up or down sometime, but the plastic handle is a no-no.

Just passing it on...