Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Can someone remind me why we're in Iraq?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
This is why the military should be under civil control but not the strategy & tactics...

And of course it made perfect sense to take the war zone's civil-affairs mission away from the Special Forces and give it to the State Dept.
I remember my professor saying that during the rescue attempt in Tehran, Jimmy Carter was on the radio trying to micromanage everything from Washington. He compared this to the West German rescue of a Lufthansa jet and hostages in Mogadishu in 1977. The German commander turned his radio off, a la Patton, when Helmut Schmidt tried to give him orders.

Were you referring to the Washington Post Article about the DOD and State fighting it out over whether Saddam's factories should be reopened?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
I remember my professor saying that during the rescue attempt in Tehran, Jimmy Carter was on the radio trying to micromanage everything from Washington.
Well, that's what you get when you let nuclear submariners run for elected office. (Hey, REW, I just realized that he was wun'a them there Democrats too, and maybe that's why they're extinct aboard submarines now!) From the stories my FIL tells of his CBS days, Carter's micromanagement & short fuse make Rickover look like the Dalai Lama.

Quote:
Were you referring to the Washington Post Article about the DOD and State fighting it out over whether Saddam's factories should be reopened?
No, it's in "Masters of Chaos"-- one of the best of the very few factual Special Forces histories I've ever read.

The SF had moved into Iraqi towns and started rebuilding postwar grassroots govts from the local mullahs and the mid-grade retired Iraqi military-- not the generals but the majors & colonels. The SF were doing a decent job and getting fantastic intel when State stepped in and fired all the military from the posts that they'd just been appointed to (and were getting paid for). Kinda screwed up the "establishing credibility" and "building trust" portions of the post-war plan and led a lot of the ex-Iraqi military to turn their skills to other paid occupations...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cube, I don't have an answer to your question beside what others have already said. Just like the guy in the "Jarhead" movie said. Welcome to "the suck". ...I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I don't know if that's working.

Yep, this article sums it up.

But, I'd say she's pullin' about an 11. Personally, I'd tone it back to a 9. But, what do I know. I haven't served or lost a husband/wife.

I've heard the Iraq BS war likened to a gang controlling your neighborhood. You're not really for it, but the gang keeps you scared/under their control. So, the Americans come and chase the gang away. But, they can't finish the job because of "political reasons" and you're pissed off at the American's because of this. So, sure you hate the gang, but you're madder at the Americans/"cops" who can't control the gang, and, hey, maybe the gang wasn't "that" bad to begin with.

There's a sliver of truth in the "invade Iraq to show other countries who's boss" thinking, but don't confuse it with 9/11.

-CC
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, that's what you get when you let nuclear submariners run for elected office. (Hey, REW, I just realized that he was wun'a them there Democrats too, and maybe that's why they're extinct aboard submarines now!)
Although it pains me to say it, I do have to give you swabbies credit for learning from your mistakes.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, that's what you get when you let nuclear submariners run for elected office. (Hey, REW, I just realized that he was wun'a them there Democrats too, and maybe that's why they're extinct aboard submarines now!) From the stories my FIL tells of his CBS days, Carter's micromanagement & short fuse make Rickover look like the Dalai Lama.
Yes, I remember that he used to control who got to use the White House tennis court. I think that Habitat for Humanity suits him.
Quote:
No, it's in "Masters of Chaos"-- one of the best of the very few factual Special Forces histories I've ever read.

The SF had moved into Iraqi towns and started rebuilding postwar grassroots govts from the local mullahs and the mid-grade retired Iraqi military-- not the generals but the majors & colonels. The SF were doing a decent job and getting fantastic intel when State stepped in and fired all the military from the posts that they'd just been appointed to (and were getting paid for). Kinda screwed up the "establishing credibility" and "building trust" portions of the post-war plan and led a lot of the ex-Iraqi military to turn their skills to other paid occupations...
Sounds like the Washington Post article. The State Department is turning to the CIA to try to discredit the DOD. See more here.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I remember that he used to control who got to use the White House tennis court. I think that Habitat for Humanity suits him. Sounds like the Washington Post article. The State Department is turning to the CIA to try to discredit the DOD. See more here.
For the record I am a Foreign Service Brat but I am not impressed with what State is doing these days. I would buy a carpet from the Stalinist factories if I thought it would make Iraq safer.