Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's great. I wouldn't call it dangerous (especially since there are so many of them there) but its slow. It maybe topped out at 60ish.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US model has a bit more umph.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I saw Smart Cars in Paris in 1992. They were able to reverse into half a parking space. Perfect for zipping between le boulangerie, le charcuterie, l"office, et chez vous!
This is an aside, but is it mandatory that Canadians from Anglophone provinces learn French in school? Are you taught by Canadian Francophones, or anybody off the street, or speakers hired from France?

I wonder if we should not make Spanish study mandatory in the US public schools. At least we would have plenty of native speakers to teach the classes, and HS grads could look back on having learned at least something beyond propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The thing I don't get about the smart cars is that their mileage isn't really all that great considering their size. We do better in town with our diesel Bug than they are rated for on the highway. And I'm sure there are other small cars (real cars) that get mileage not that far off from the smart car. Do they have some kind of draw for people other than the mileage?
Yes. I know a young couple who bought one. It says Green, Cool, In-Touch-With-The-Planet, We Care, We Care.

Think opposite of an old Pontiac Firebird, a Hummer, and A Kill-Ass Ferrari all rolled into one.

Ha

Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wonder if we should not make Spanish study mandatory in the US public schools.
I took French all the way through school. I wished I had taken Spanish when I lived in San Diego, and later in Texas. Much to my surprise, my French ended up actually being helpful now that I live in south Louisiana. You never know what life will or will not throw at you.

My ex and I forced my daughter to take Spanish in high school. I do wish that SOME language was mandatory to get a high school diploma. Way back when, I had to demonstrate competency in a foreign language to get a bachelor's degree (it was sufficient for me to pass one semester of junior level French), and I had to pass the GSFLT (foreign language standardized test) to complete a graduate degree. Now, it seems that foreign language requirements have vanished.

Sorry for the temporary hijack! Now back to tiny cars....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I took French all the way through school. I wished I had taken Spanish when I lived in San Diego, and later in Texas.
I feel the same way after four years of French in high school and two more in college. (I chose my language based on demographics-- the high school's French teachers were major babes who handed out easy homework, while the Spanish teachers were horrid slave-driving harridans.) I was the NATO naval officer from hell... until I went to the Pacific fleet and realized there was no reason to go back to the east coast or Europe ever again.

But now I should be studying Japanese, Cantonese, and Hawaiian.

We pushed our daughter into Spanish with better results, but she's much more interested in learning Russian on her own. I think it's ironic that today she's practicing her vocabulary with a Russian exchange student at whose country I used to point nuclear weapons 25 years ago.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I see this car pass by everyday. It's small and plain and really cute. It has a Kia nameplate but nothing on it shows what model it is. I've looked at the Kia site and wikipedia and I don't think it's anything current, may be an older model of something. It's a 4 door hatchback, compact, not one of their SUVs.

Here are some pictures, my cell phone camera isn't high quality, but maybe someone can solve this mystery for me.

In that last one there is a minivan in the background behind the roofline of the mystery car.

Is this the guy that's been stalking you Sue?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is the Smart Car. Now, I love small cars, but this one might be too small! There's a black and yellow one in our area, looks like a large bumblebee.

DH keeps saying he's going to get one of these cars for my use. I think he's trying to get rid of me.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH keeps saying he's going to get one of these cars for my use. I think he's trying to get rid of me.
Yeah. Give me 3000+# of steel and plastic around me or I will just stay home.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well you two ride a motorcycle. Not much difference Just wear a helmet.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Is this the guy that's been stalking you Sue?
No, no, no. It's a mom taking her kid to the elementary school 2 blocks away. I'm the school crossing guard and I watch cars while I wait for kids who are walking.

I may just have to approach her at the stop sign and ask her what the car is.

I'm just stumped because there is no model nameplate. It just looks too small to be a Sportage, but if older ones were a lot smaller, maybe that's what it is.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do wish that SOME language was mandatory to get a high school diploma. Way back when, I had to demonstrate competency in a foreign language to get a bachelor's degree (it was sufficient for me to pass one semester of junior level French), and I had to pass the GSFLT (foreign language standardized test) to complete a graduate degree. Now, it seems that foreign language requirements have vanished.
DD had to have a couple of years of foreign language to graduate HS in 2004. I, OTOH, got all the way through HS and college back in '78 without a foreign language at all. I think it has to do with the local school system, and more than likely is influenced by available budget. We may be seeing quite a few curricula fading away in a few years.

Now, I regret not learning a language before. I'm trying to learn Spanish now, but it's tough. Especially self paced computer based. I have no discipline.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I took French all the way through school.
Surely, you would have a favorite French song to share?

Shall I post another youtube song here by Sylvie Vartan and risk being called a worse thread hijacker than I already am?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #32

The side view looks like my old Ford Festiva.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm the school crossing guard
Thank you for your service Sue.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
The side view looks like my old Ford Festiva.
I thought so too at first glance. The Festiva, imported by Ford, was made by Kia in Korea. But the Festiva, IIRC, had only two pieces of glass per side, right? The fuzzy cellphone pic looks like three, if not four, pieces of glass per side, at least to me.

I was almost repeatedly run over by a first-gen Sportage when I was out for my daily walks a year or two ago. It was driven by a wild house cleaning person in a hurry to get on to the next job, safety be damned. I never got a good look at the side view, I was just trying to avoid getting a close-up of the front view!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thought about the smart car myself (live in the UK). But for the price it just doesn't make sense. You can buy another small car that gets as good or better gas mileage, more room, 4 doors, dependable.....Toyota Aygo. Couple thousand pounds less. I drive a Honda Jazz (Fit in the US) and would buy another one....likely will when I retire back to the US in a couple of years.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #36

Yes, three pieces of glass per side.

I saw it again this morning and I agree, I think it's a Sportage. There is no spare tire on a bracket on the back like most Sportages have. I looked carefully today and there is also no hinge to support the bracket that you'd expect to be there. That's why it didn't look like a Sportage to me.

Thanks for playing along.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is an aside, but is it mandatory that Canadians from Anglophone provinces learn French in school? Are you taught by Canadian Francophones, or anybody off the street, or speakers hired from France?
Since I didn't grow up here, I'll take a stab at this but don't quote me. In Canada, French and English are both official languages and people have a right to services in the official language of their choice. Education is governed at the provincial level, so the details vary from province to province. Basically, most schoolchildren in Anglophone areas have access to French classes, often starting about grade 4. There are also French immersion schools which are quite popular, as being bilingual is a definite asset (e.g. for government jobs). There is no shortage of French speaking teachers and there are several Francophone universities.

New Brunswick is officially a bilingual province and has school systems in both official languages. Quebec, of course, has French culture as a raison d'etre and favours French. There are Anglophone schools, but only children whose parents went to Anglophone schools are entitled to be enrolled. All other children in Quebec, including children of immigrant families, must attend Francophone schools. Most well educated Anglophones in Quebec are bilingual. Most children of immigrants in Quebec are Allophones (i.e. they speak French and their mother tongue). Most Francophones in other provinces are bilingual. Most Anglophones outside Quebec tend not to be bilingual though of course this country is a cornucopia of languages from Arabic to Ukranian! In addition, there are several Aboriginal and Inuit languages which are unfortunately declining.

BTW, I grew up in Ireland and learned French from two excellent teachers (one Irish, one French) in high school. It was compulsory to study Irish, English and at least one other language. I studied French and Latin. French would be my second most comfortable language and I am conversant but not fluent in it. If I lived in Quebec I could become fluent in French within a year.

Here's an interesting article on bilingualism in Canada: http://www.clo-ocol.gc.ca/html/jedwab_biling_e.php
Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Here's yours and a 2001 sportage:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MysteryCar.jpg (5.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2001Sportage.jpg (8.2 KB, 21 views)