Can You Not Read Subtitles?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW likes to have the subtitles on when we watch a DVD movie. I don't like it because I can't help reading the text, which means I spend less time watching the movie itself, miss subtle facial expressions, etc.

I try as hard as I can to not read them ("Don't look down, don't look down!"), but after 20 seconds or so I'm once again reading them.

This is one reason I'm not eager to get a new TV, since I know DW will want the closed captioning on all the time.

Are you able to ignore them?

No way, I cannot ignore them (CC or subtitle).

Not sure I understand your reason for not getting a new TV. Unless your current TV is very very old, TVs in the last 15-20 years should have CC built-in as a matter of law.

My DW has been using sub-titles for the last 40+ we've been married.

What she says is not necessarily what she means :angel: ...

Dosen't really matter, since I can never read the S-T properly, either :ROFLMAO: ...

I like having the subtitles on and the volume very low. It's more peaceful!! Besides, you can read some funny stuff that is soft or mumbled and you might miss otherwise. You can learn to love it (really).

My present TV has both "mute" and "soft mute" (half muted). The closed captioning comes on when either one is on.

The only time I don't like it is when I am watching one of the news channels or CNBC, when it covers over the streaming news at the bottom of the screen.

I hate subtitles. I can´t read them fast enough and they distract me from the movie. In the end I miss out on everything altogether.

No I can't ignore subtitles either. I often watch foreign films and even if I understand the language perfectly well, my eyes are still attracted to the English subtitles.

Not sure I understand your reason for not getting a new TV. Unless your current TV is very very old, TVs in the last 15-20 years should have CC built-in as a matter of law.

Right. We got our TV in 1991 -- no captioning.

I can't ignore them either. It's the only way I can watch TV. I'd be completely lost without them. What bothers me is when they are not in sync with what is on the screen or they flash instead of being delivered smoothly.

Yes, I can.

It's especially easy to learn this skill by watching Gran Torino in English with Czech subtitles

Back
Top Bottom