Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I got the same as Fuego. I'm in with the peeps. No city bus for me, though!
I wear my bus-riding as a badge of honor.

As for the greyhound question - I once rode it round trip cross country from the east coast to the Mexican border. Do that, and if you survive, you will definitely be acquainted with the other half.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

As for the greyhound question - I once rode it round trip cross country from the east coast to the Mexican border. Do that, and if you survive, you will definitely be acquainted with the other half.
I went by bus and train from Guadalajara to San Francisco, back when I was one of the other half.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

13-16 In the last 10 years I've had a lot of southern exposure... Do what now?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I'm proud to report I have actually been bass fishing on a lake near Branson with people who struggled to get C's in high school.
I've spent time with Richard Branson and neither of us were smoking - failed both those questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

I've ridden Greyhound, but the most fun I've had traveling was all the hitch-hiking I did as a youngster in England. My girlfriend and I tried to break the Guinness world record for hitch-hiking from Lands End to John O' Groats and back. You were allowed to start anywhere in between those 2 points. We started in the middle of the country and went to Lands End first. Unfortunately, our timing was bad and we got to John O' Groats around 9pm one night when the traffic was almost non-existent, pretty much killing our chances of getting a ride out until the next morning. The record at the time was 45 1/2 hours, and we did it in 60 - would have been a lot closer had we not got stuck at John O' Groats overnight.

The best hitchhiking trip begun one Friday night at University after my room-mates arrived back from the day's lectures. We had nothing to do and I don't remember how the idea was hatched, but someone thought it would be fun to hitchhike to Paris (about 350 miles away). I blurted out that we should split into 2 groups of 2, meet under the Eiffel tower and the last ones to get there had to buy the drinks. We came second. What a great weekend.

I remember 2 things about that Paris trip - sitting outside eating wonderful cheese and wine that we had bought in local markets (not enough money for a restaurant), and staying overnight in Normandie on the way back in a rather ramshackle "family" hotel with my girlfriend. The room next to ours was occupied by a young French lesbian couple who spent most of the night making love very loudly. I was about 22 years old. As you can imagine, my young male imagination was running riot.

What a fabulous weekend we had. As an adult, I often decide against going on trips because I can't afford it. As a kid, I didn't think about such mundane things as food, accommodation and how I was going to get there; I just went, and invariably had a great time.

Oh, I scored 32 on the test, don't really know what that means and don't really care either
Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Help me out here: why? what does it do for you? I know there must be some reason people walk around with a carcinogenic wad in their mouths aside from peer pressure. Does it get you high or something?
It's a valuable military tool.

The nicotine is a stimulant that helps you stay awake, without emitting the position-revealing stinky smoke or light of a cigarette. Snuff also keeps cigarette smoke, tar, & particulates out of delicate submarine electronics & ventilation systems.

No, you don't want to see what I saw to learn this stuff...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #66

Scored 9-12 on the short test. 63 on the long test.

Also chewed Cope in college .... but did not receive any bonus points for this.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I went by bus and train from Guadalajara to San Francisco, back when I was one of the other half.
I was the other half too when I took my trip (starving college student).
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #68

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.

In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more.

I took the short test. As an ISTJ and a hermit I think the questions are just plain dumb. How would I know if neighbors have a college education? I have lived in rural locations for over 30 years, I haven't had 50 neighbors in any one location and probably not in every location in total! I sure am not upper class but you wouldn't catch me dead in a union hall. NASCAR, Oprah? Yeah right, I'd gouge out my eyes 1st! I don't know anyone that smokes or is an evangelical, as a vegetarian I don't hunt or fish but if you do I'm OK with it. This test is for city people that interact with hundreds of people a day, that are surrounded by people in a densely populated area. There aren't any buses around here! Just plain dumb test.

I was channel surfing from Kudlow and Company to Lou Dobbs and I saw this guy tonight. I agree 100% with him, America has gone down the toilet in the past 50 years. I miss the America I grew up in and I liked the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. I was raised middle class and I am middle class today but I don't resent upper class or rich people except for a$$holes like Buffet and Gates et al. Let them give away all their money to charities then whine how they don't pay as much in taxes as you and me - hypocrites. I don't like this nanny state with all the people riding in the wagon that in the past would have been pulling it.

Now get off my lawn!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.

In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more.

I took the short test. As an ISTJ and a hermit I think the questions are just plain dumb. How would I know if neighbors have a college education? I have lived in rural locations for over 30 years, I haven't had 50 neighbors in any one location and probably not in every location in total! I sure am not upper class but you wouldn't catch me dead in a union hall. NASCAR, Oprah? Yeah right, I'd gouge out my eyes 1st! I don't know anyone that smokes or is an evangelical, as a vegetarian I don't hunt or fish but if you do I'm OK with it. This test is for city people that interact with hundreds of people a day, that are surrounded by people in a densely populated area. There aren't any buses around here! Just plain dumb test.

I was channel surfing from Kudlow and Company to Lou Dobbs and I saw this guy tonight. I agree 100% with him, America has gone down the toilet in the past 50 years. I miss the America I grew up in and I liked the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. I was raised middle class and I am middle class today but I don't resent upper class or rich people except for a$$holes like Buffet and Gates et al. Let them give away all their money to charities then whine how they don't pay as much in taxes as you and me - hypocrites. I don't like this nanny state with all the people riding in the wagon that in the past would have been pulling it.

Now get off my lawn!
+1
Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I agree 100% with him, America has gone down the toilet in the past 50 years.
Unless, of course, you've in any way participated in or benefited from civil rights or other equality/discrimination legislation.

The Way We Never Were: American Families And The Nostalgia Trap

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Unless, of course, you've in any way participated in or benefited from civil rights or other equality/discrimination legislation.

This is the problem with the primary school version of history that many use as a frame of reference...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #72

Quote:

I don't see how the moral degradation and rot that has overtaken this country has anything to do with treating people fairly regardless of their race. Maybe ymmv, mine doesn't.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't see how the moral degradation and rot that has overtaken this country has anything to do with treating people fairly regardless of their race. Maybe ymmv, mine doesn't.
Well, golly, when you put it that way it's difficult to argue the point...

BTW I think we should add gender, creed, national origin, age, & sexual orientation to that "race" part.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #74

I couldn't resist, and finally took the tests.

I scored 52...

"A first- generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and moviegoing habits.
Range: 42100. Typical: 66."

Scored 9-12 on the short test.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #75

Quote:
BTW I think we should add gender, creed, national origin, age, & sexual orientation to that "race" part.
Heavens no, because then the moral degradation and rot would really set in.

Now where's that sarcasm font when I need it..........
Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #76

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #77

I took the long test earlier, but just broke down and took the short one:

"On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.
In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more."

That's fairly accurate, but I think that the apostrophe between the words "words" and "you" was unnecessary. I don't want to seem picky, but the grammar bothered me slightly.

It's tough breaking out of the bubble sometimes.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I took the long test earlier, but just broke down and took the short one:

"On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.
In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more."

That's fairly accurate, but I think that the apostrophe between the words "words" and "you" was unnecessary. I don't want to seem picky, but the grammar bothered me slightly.

It's tough breaking out of the bubble sometimes.
Not to be picky, but its a comma, not an apostrophe.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Virguphobia is a terrible thing...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Not to be picky, but its a comma, not an apostrophe.
Oh yes. IIRC, I was renewing my relationship with Trader Joe's 2 buck-chuck while making that post. Not the best of times to be posting on the internet.......