Can you read me now?

No, I didn't know this. You learn something everyday.

That's not quite correct, you're changing the zoom level on your screen, not the font size. This is also available on the bottom right corner of the page...at least it is for me.

That's not quite correct, you're changing the zoom level on your screen, not the font size. This is also available on the bottom right corner of the page...at least it is for me.

Not seeing that in Firefox or in the gaggle of lower right icons by the time indication - in what software or browser are you seeing that zoom level button?

Zoom in and zoom out can also be found in the menu's under View|Zoom in Firefox and IE8. Keyboard shortcuts Ctrl - and Ctrl +.

Scrolling the mouse while holding control is handy though. That works in some other apps to, such as Word '07.

Have not tried it while viewing my 401(k). :)

The Cntr/scroll wheel is a zoom feature, not a font-size control. As it zooms out the font along with everything gets bigger.

The Cntr/scroll wheel is a zoom feature, not a font-size control. As it zooms out the font along with everything gets bigger.

Yep, Dimsumkid pointed that out earlier. Maybe I had hotkeys disabled, but in the past in Firefox I could click the Zoom in button under View with the mouse and go in one step at a time but Ctrl + on the keyboard did nothing. Was pretty excited to find this as it allowed me to zoom in on some floorplan drawings of some poster's Tilson design house without 4-5 visits to the View/Zoom/Zoom In tabs.

I have known this for years and use it daily to help with my aging vision problems, on some websites. Not this one, usually. This easy magnification is a huge help for those of us whose vision isn't great.

For example I like doing the usatoday.com sudoku every night before bed, and for years have been zooming it to 135% so that it fills the entire screen. :D I can still see it when it is small, but it is so much easier to see the numbers when it is nice and big.

Last edited:
Using Firefox on Linux, CTL+ works for me, and I also find the Firefox add-on "No Squint" extremely useful. It remembers the magnification you last used on each site you visit, and uses that same magnification when you return there.

thanks for the tip...I had no idea and I've been using computer 25 years!

If you hold the Ctrl button down and use the scroll wheel you can increase or decrease the font size on screen.

Did everyone else know this and i just got the memo?

That's pretty wild. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to remember that the next time I view my tiny little netbook screen.

Using Firefox on Linux, CTL+ works for me, and I also find the Firefox add-on "No Squint" extremely useful. It remembers the magnification you last used on each site you visit, and uses that same magnification when you return there.

I am going to try that addon

Back
Top Bottom