Can you run 8 miles a day?

Don't know. Gave up running once I left the Army.

My neighbor ran 1 mile a day, twice a day, for 31 years.

He only weighs 5 more pounds than he did in HS........:)

I doubt I could do 8 miles nonstop. I usually do five 1/2 mile laps around a local park. I walk the first, jog the next 3, then walk the last one.

I commend this guy for running through pain, except the OCD detector sounded loudly when I read the article. His notoriety masks the sadness and closed loop of his life. :(
The docs here could probably tell us his knees and feet and ankles are probably shot from the overabuse to the joints and soft tissues supporting the bones.
I ran track in HS for 2 years - miler and 3rd leg of 440 relay. I never won any races, but the running helped me focus on other things besides parents' ugly divorce and older sister destroying her life with drugs. Running was very good medicine. :D
No more running since HS. The inside of my left kneecap is mad at me these days. Had it checked out by orthopedic - minor but permanent damage found.
If I behave :angel: and limit walking to less than a mile and absolutely no running, plus use contractor's kneepads for all kneeling, it may just stay the same.

In a word - - NO! :LOL::whistle:

I think that running 8 miles a day for years would half kill me. :)

Cardiovascularly I think I could jog, not run, 8 miles but i'd have to be loaded up on naproxen for my knees and ankles to allow me to go that far. Then i'd be in significant pain for several days. Certainly couldn't do it on a daily basis.

There was a guy in his 50s on this board named NewGuy (as well as at least one other name) who ran that much or more. Kind of amazing to those of us who struggle with banged up backs, knees, ankles or hips.

Ha

There was a guy in his 50s on this board named NewGuy (as well as at least one other name) who ran that much or more. Kind of amazing to those of us who struggle with banged up backs, knees, ankles or hips.

Ha

Would be nice to have fully functional knees.

run 8 miles

Well, I wouldn't have to worry about outliving my resources, I would be pushing up daisies if I ran that far. I could walk eight miles, bike about 20(on a rail trail).

I could easily walk 8 miles, but couldn't run to the end of the street. Walking is my favorite exercise, and I walk outside every morning before w*rk, weather permitting. Normally, I go about 3 miles and there's a little jogging incorporated in there. If I run, my knees keep me awake at night. Besides, I can't ponder life and solve all the worlds problems when I'm running, but I do my best thinking when I'm out for my walk.

Cardiovascularly I think I could jog, not run, 8 miles but i'd have to be loaded up on naproxen for my knees and ankles to allow me to go that far. Then i'd be in significant pain for several days. Certainly couldn't do it on a daily basis.

When my last treadmill burned up, the repair cost was higher than the replacement cost, so I replaced it with one of those whacky elliptical trainers. I tried out a bunch of these, and found one that didn't feel too awkward to me.

Almost all of the ones I tried were easier on the knees and other joints than running, either on the street or the treadmill.

I do 5 miles a day (equivalent) 5 days a week, so 8 miles is certainly doable. I'd probably feel it in my joints afterwards, though. :nonono:

When my last treadmill burned up, the repair cost was higher than the replacement cost, so I replaced it with one of those whacky elliptical trainers. I tried out a bunch of these, and found one that didn't feel too awkward to me.

Almost all of the ones I tried were easier on the knees and other joints than running, either on the street or the treadmill.

I do 5 miles a day (equivalent) 5 days a week, so 8 miles is certainly doable. I'd probably feel it in my joints afterwards, though. :nonono:

I want one!! After our ER move north (hopefully next year) maybe I will buy one from Craigslist. The elliptical is amazingly good for my legs.

I doubt it. I tried running last week after 4 months off with a broken ankle - made 4 miles, but my joints were hurting for days.

I run/jog with walk breaks here and there 3-4 days a week, usually 4-5 miles each time, but sometimes only 3 miles. Sometimes when I throw some speedwork in, my calves and knees will hurt for 3-4 days...I have to be careful to not overdo it. No way I could go 8 miles of solid running every day, day in and day out. If I had been doing it since I was a teen, maybe I could, but I have run more in the past year than in the previous 30 years combined... I can jog 3 miles straight without a walk break, maybe even 4, but I doubt I could get too much more than a mile at a full out run before having to slow down to a jog or walk break.

R

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)

After I GET an elliptical, and after I have been working out on it regularly for a year or two, then check back.... :D I don't have one now. (sob!) But it is really good for my legs. I can tell because my muscles hurt and my knees don't after working out on one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom