Join Early Retirement Today

Canada has legal cannabis today
Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Canada has legal cannabis today

What happens next? Canada has access to legal cannabis as of today. They're free to use it including police and most military. Much like alcohol you have to be fit for duty. They are also reversing old convictions for less than 30 grams, the new legal amount.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/17/healt...ana/index.html

(CNN)People in Canada are cheering, enduring long lines and honking their car horns in support as the country's first marijuana dispensaries open their doors Wednesday.
"I'm having a plaque made with the date and time and everything. This is never actually going to be smoked. I'm going to keep it forever," said Ian Power, who was among the first to buy marijuana in St. John's, a city in the country's easternmost province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Should this be in the "Turning hobby into $$$?" thread?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Meanwhile, marijuana stocks are down about 10% today.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

A lot of family grass stock giddiness at Canadian Thanksgiving last week. No one had a plan for picking an exit point.

Dotcom atmosphere with anecdotes of no skill grass workers buying million dollar homes with stock options.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ What could go wrong with that?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shouldn't this thread be in the Travel Information forum?
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

(CNN)People in Canada are cheering, enduring long lines and honking their car horns in support as the country's first marijuana dispensaries open their doors Wednesday.
"I'm having a plaque made with the date and time and everything. This is never actually going to be smoked. I'm going to keep it forever," said Ian Power, who was among the first to buy marijuana in St. John's, a city in the country's easternmost province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Not in Canada's largest province. Sales are online only. Haven't noticed any car honking. My 85 year-old mother who has used medical marijuana in the past is pretty sure that it is not going to end well.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Marijuana may now be "legal" in Canada, but it seems to be a highly regulated business. I look forward to the day when it can be grown and used or sold with no more regulation than that which occurs at farmer's markets on the town square where vendors sell home grown veggies to the public.

We Yanks have a similar situation in Colorado where heavy-handed regulations still lead to some folks growing, using and selling marijuana "off the books" to avoid taxes and regulations.

Why should marijuana plants be any more regulated than tomato plants? Let anyone and everyone who cares to go into the business do so and the laws of supply and demand determine prices.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

So for Canada and California - 1 ounce is the legal possession limit? That's not much I would think.

California - you can grow up to 6 plants.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Marijuana may now be "legal" in Canada, but it seems to be a highly regulated business. I look forward to the day when it can be grown and used or sold with no more regulation than that which occurs at farmer's markets on the town square where vendors sell home grown veggies to the public.

We Yanks have a similar situation in Colorado where heavy-handed regulations still lead to some folks growing, using and selling marijuana "off the books" to avoid taxes and regulations.

Why should marijuana plants be any more regulated than tomato plants? Let anyone and everyone who cares to go into the business do so and the laws of supply and demand determine prices.
Alcohol is still a highly regulated business, so I don't expect marijuana to be any different. An individual can brew their own beer and wine, but can't sell it at the farmers markets. Major permitting is required to sell alcoholic beverages. You are prohibited from owning your own still without ginormous paperwork.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Alcohol is still a highly regulated business, so I don't expect marijuana to be any different. An individual can brew their own beer and wine, but can't sell it at the farmers markets. Major permitting is required to sell alcoholic beverages. You are prohibited from owning your own still without ginormous paperwork.
Yeah, too bad. Of course the unfortunate situation with alcohol doesn't remedy the unfortunate situation with marijuana. Both are independent examples of government regulations gone berserk...........

I had hoped our friends "Up Nort" would get this right but apparently not.

There is a difference between regulating alcohol and regulating marijuana though. With alcohol, the production and selling processes are regulated but the raw material growing process (barely, corn, grapes, etc.) is not. With marijuana, the act of growing the plant is regulated as well as processing and selling.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So for Canada and California - 1 ounce is the legal possession limit? That's not much I would think.

California - you can grow up to 6 plants.
Canada allows 4 plants to be grown. Not sure how growing and possession of an ounce work together. Hey it's better than jail.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not a cannabis user and likely won't be but I'm fine with the initial parameters and regulation around the de-criminalization. There will likely further be tweaks as we find out what works and does not work and what we learn from legal challenges.

Personally, I just can't stand the smell as I find it worse than cigarette smoke.

Quote:

It likely falls under provincial regulation (versus federal) in Canada but at Vancouver's farmer's markets, there have been vendors selling beer, wine, and spirits for a while now.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #15

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "mail order drugs from Canada".
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Shouldn't this thread be in the Travel Information forum?
Was thinking about Montreal, now thinking about it just a little more....
Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
With alcohol, it's all about the "gov" collecting the tax. Really.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We once drove to Nova Scotia from Alabama. Little did we know that Boston was about halfway between home and Sydney on Cape Breton Island.

We found sales taxes to be15%, and the cheapest beer sold in stores was $12.99 a six pack. The government is downright greedy on taxation.

If taxes are so tough on beer, I wonder how expensive taxes will be on cannabis? They really make it tough to get high in the Far North.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #19

The slow steady deterioration of Western civilization continues.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Should this be in the "Turning hobby into $$$?" thread?
My DW is a certified rosarian. Before her health issues, our yard was full of roses and she was an active member of two rose clubs (president of one).

At a board of directors meeting held in our living room, someone brought up the possibility of getting into the marijuana business if regulations here in Illinois ever liberalize (we have legal medical marijuana and a complicated set of regulations about who can grow and supply it). I about fell off my chair in the kitchen where I was sitting! This 70+ geezer-gal wants to be in the marijuana business! Hee..... hee..... But the rest of the group took her seriously. Hmmmmmm...... As serious botanical hobbyists, maybe this crowd could figure out how to get the job done and develop a high quality product. They've won awards nationally for their roses..........

Maybe someday there will be a national marijuana society with local branches/clubs sharing information and developing products and markets!